Subject: Playing Gouvernante de France when no French Royal is betrothed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Cesca
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The French Home Card "Gouvernante de France" says:

If a French royal is betrothed, add the "+2 Wedding Festivities" marker to that wedding. Then either draw a new card from the deck or take the Grand Tour card from the discard pile.

The French player was trying to stall for time so he would have liked to just draw a card even if no French royals were betrothed at that time.
Could he do that? In other words, does that "if" clause apply to the play of the card, or just to the Wedding Festivities part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it, but the key word seems to be ... "Then". So, if the first part is skipped, no card is drawn, but as I said. Never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree; "then" refers to the sequence of the two actions, and it is not part of the "if" statement.

Paging Ed Beach ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I always assumed it was an "IF... Then" situation. So the first requirement must be met to play the event (French royal is betrothed) and then the French player can draw another card or pick up Grand Tour.

There is a restriction on the second option too. It cannot be selected if France and Prots are at peace, or the French have more than three cards (including the home card).

I might be wrong though, we will have to see what Ed says.

EDIT: Corrected spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only assume this will follow the pattern of the ruling about the last sentence of Ottoman Tribute: "The Ottoman then also draws one card from the deck." He stated that this is coupled to Ottoman acceptance of an offered tribute. If tribute isn't offered (or is offered and rejected), the Ottoman does not draw a card from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes indeed. France must have a wedding in progress to play this event for this effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Cesca
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone (especially Ed, of course) for the quick reply! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.