Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to clarify one thing for this card.
You can sacrifice this card to transmute each energy on your reverse with the value 4. Does this forced you to transmute all energy on your reserve or you can decide which one and save it some for future use?
I assumed you may decide how many energy tokens to be transmuted and save some for future use. But a friend argued over this and he said it should all be transmuted.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
All energy is changed to points unless you have energy on an Amulet of Water... Energy on the Amulet of Water is safe from Potion of Life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
All energy is changed to points unless you have energy on an Amulet of Water... Energy on the Amulet of Water is safe from Potion of Life.

Okay, so it's not an option, you need to transmute all.
Thanks for the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian J.
Germany
flag msg tools
I have another question about Potion of Life, especially with the german rules.
It says in the clarification of the cards: After using "Potion of Life", no other player can use transmute in this round (The english one: No player can continue to transmute after having activated the Potion of Life.)
Maybe my english isn't that good, but in my opinion only the one player, who used Potion of Life can't use a transmute action in his turn, because he hasn't any energy anymore. And if no one else could use transmute, it have to be printed on the card, I think.
I'm still a little anxious about that, but maybe you can help me out.
Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sceddar wrote:
It says in the clarification of the cards: After using "Potion of Life", no other player can use transmute in this round (The english one: No player can continue to transmute after having activated the Potion of Life.)
Maybe my english isn't that good, but in my opinion only the one player, who used Potion of Life can't use a transmute action in his turn, because he hasn't any energy anymore. And if no one else could use transmute, it have to be printed on the card, I think.
Thanks a lot!

From the English rules detail about Potion of Life:

"No player can continue to transmute after having activated the Potion of Life."

"No player" refers ONLY to the player who activated the Potion of Life because "after having activated the Potion of Life" is a requirement to "continue to transmute".

Also: cards that have effects that last into other player's turns are rare. In general, effects are immediate. I assume this card is no different. (The 1 exception I can think of right now is Arcano Leech - you get 1 crystal every time an opponent summons a card from their hand.)

Unfortunately, there could be TWO different meanings for "transmute":

1) After you activate the Potion of Life, you may not transmute by any means for the rest of your turn.

2) After you activate the Potion of Life, you may not transmute by using the Potion of Life again.

Since English was not the original language, it would not surprise me that the English rules are wrong. (It could also be that the original rules were not clear. Translations never make rules clearer. )

We really need a FAQ for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loon wrote:
Sceddar wrote:
Thanks a lot!

"No player can continue to transmute after having activated the Potion of Life."

"No player" refers ONLY to the player who activated the Potion of Life because "after having activated the Potion of Life" is a requirement to "continue to transmute".

Also: cards that have effects that last into other player's turns are rare. In general, effects are immediate. I assume this card is no different. (The 1 exception I can think of right now is Arcano Leech - you get 1 crystal every time an opponent summons a card from their hand.)

1) After you activate the Potion of Life, you may not transmute by any means for the rest of your turn.

2) After you activate the Potion of Life, you may not transmute by using the Potion of Life again.

Since English was not the original language, it would not surprise me that the English rules are wrong. (It could also be that the original rules were not clear. Translations never make rules clearer. )

Ain't the potion of life is discarded after used? So originally you can't use it twice, unless you have 2 potions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
loon wrote:
Sceddar wrote:
Thanks a lot!

Ain't the potion of life is discarded after used? So originally you can't use it twice, unless you have 2 potions.

Yes, but maybe they are trying to over-explain that the transmuting from the Potion of Life doesn't last the whole turn (unlike transmuting because it's on your die or you used a bonus action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I personally interpret the Potion of Life is #1: You must transmute all of your energy for 4 crystals each; you may not transmute any more energy this turn.

But I won't be surprised if a future FAQ says something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loon wrote:
The way I personally interpret the Potion of Life is #1: You must transmute all of your energy for 4 crystals each; you may not transmute any more energy this turn.

Since this is the case, you need to transmute all the energy tokens on your reserve once potion of life is activated. And do you mean you can't transmute other energy tokens (for example energy tokens in the amulet of water) with the transmute action based on the special ability / die symbol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
loon wrote:

Since this is the case, you need to transmute all the energy tokens on your reserve once potion of life is activated. And do you mean you can't transmute other energy tokens (for example energy tokens in the amulet of water) with the transmute action based on the special ability / die symbol?

Yes.

It means that the Potion of Life should be the last transmuting you do on your turn. In practice, people who use the Potion of Life usually pick a die that doesn't have transmute, so the problem doesn't come up.

This is just our interpretation - we really do need a FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FatOs Bob
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just read the FAQ published on the French publisher's web site. It is clearly stated that you CAN trasmute again but only with a die symbol or by using your bonus. I guess that what they mean is that the potion of life does not turn transmuting on for your whole turn like the die or bonus do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fat0s wrote:
I've just read the FAQ published on the French publisher's web site. It is clearly stated that you CAN trasmute again but only with a die symbol or by using your bonus. I guess that what they mean is that the potion of life does not turn transmuting on for your whole turn like the die or bonus do.

Thanks! #2 it is!

I will be checking out the FAQ (and hoping it's also in English or will be soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A separate question on Potion of Life -- but thought it should be in this thread:

Does selecting the "Transmute +1" bonus earlier in on your turn then combo with subsequent use of the Potion of Life that same turn? --David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using potion of life is not a transmute action. So you don't get more points for it with trnasmute +1 bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
A separate question on Potion of Life -- but thought it should be in this thread:

Does selecting the "Transmute +1" bonus earlier in on your turn then combo with subsequent use of the Potion of Life that same turn? --David

Hehe I'm a year late, but yes the two combine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.