Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Tens of thousands rally in support of Pakistani girl activist shot by the Taliban"

Article by: ADIL JAWAD and SEBASTIAN ABBOT , Associated Press

http://www.startribune.com/world/174089921.html

I thought this kind of ties in to A Distant Plain. I am sure an incident like this in the game would shift the Islamabad Track one level toward Hostility for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, maybe, maybe not.

First, the perpetrators of this incident are Pakistani Taliban, not "Afghan" Taliban. The two are distinct organizations though they do share some liaison, resources and people.

Next, the Pakistani government, or rather the ISI intelligence johnnies, created and sponsored/sponsors the Afghan Taliban as a means of keeping matters in Afghanistan off balance and so building up Pakistan as a regional power. The Pakistani government is very much opposed to its home-grown Taliban, which acts to destabilize and resist its rule, and suppresses it as much as it can, cf. the various Army offensives into the Swat Valley over the last couple of years.

In the game, the Islamabad track refers to the Pakistani government's position on how much to let the Afghan Taliban get away with while it uses Pakistan as a rear area. The occasional counter-Pakistani-Taliban offensive will make some difficulties for the Afghan Taliban and we have an Event Card for that.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Hmmm, maybe, maybe not.

First, the perpetrators of this incident are Pakistani Taliban, not "Afghan" Taliban. The two are distinct organizations though they do share some liaison, resources and people.

Next, the Pakistani government, or rather the ISI intelligence johnnies, created and sponsored/sponsors the Afghan Taliban as a means of keeping matters in Afghanistan off balance and so building up Pakistan as a regional power. The Pakistani government is very much opposed to its home-grown Taliban, which acts to destabilize and resist its rule, and suppresses it as much as it can, cf. the various Army offensives into the Swat Valley over the last couple of years.

I'll agree that the Pak government does view the Afghan and Pak Talibans as different elements, but they can't truthfully deny their ideological, if not operational partnerships. I'd go further to point out that the Pak Taliban, while it does have an umbrella organization called Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan who have claimed responsibility for the attempted murder, there are at least two dozen other extremist religious groups, most, but not all of whom condone such activities. And likewise, the government sometimes go after them, such as the Taliban in Swat (after they'd overrun the place and had a base area 90 miles from the capital), but at the same time PakMil appears happy to look the other way on other groups, such as Lashkar-e-Taiba who committed to attacks in Mumbai, and the undeclared (maybe TTP, maybe not) bombings of Sufi shrines in Lahore, and Ahmediyyan mosques.

So it is real complicated. I think the tipping point would be where the general population would push the Army to take focused action on shutting down all extremist organizations. And I don't see that kind of focus, nor that unqualified revulsion at extremism in general, as they still are likely to differentiate some extremists as OK, especially those who don't attack inside Pakistan. It could still make life harder for the Pak Taliban in at least the short term (e.g. finances drying up) which could have an impact on Afghan Taliban finances. But I am inclined to agree with Brian that it likely wouldn't result in anybody pulling the plug on them in the near term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.