Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norodom Sihanouk, King of Cambodia from 1941 to 1955 and again from 1993 until 2004, died after a heart attack in Beijing, China, on October 15, 2012, at the age of 89. (He died on October 15, 2012, but I am posting this on October 14, 2012.)

This leaves two remaining World War II heads of state:

Michael (born October 25, 1921) was King of Romania from July 20, 1927 until June 8, 1930 and again from September 6, 1940 until December 30, 1947. His is a great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria by both of his parents and a third cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.

Simeon Borisov of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (born June 16, 1937) was Tsar of Bulgaria from August 28, 1943 until September 15, 1946. He also served as prime minister of Bulgaria from 2001 until 2005, becoming one of the few monarchs in history to have become the head of government through democratic elections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
He also served as prime minister of Bulgaria from 2001 until 2005, becoming one of the few monarchs in history to have become the head of government through democratic elections.

Its interesting to note that a précis of the latter 20th century history of almost any European country is a bit of a joke, though the voting pattern of Bulgarian communists goes further than most. The United Kingdom is the exception that proves the rule, although it very nearly wasn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
One might argue for Tenzin Gyatso, also, though he was not technically enthroned until 1950.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is best to have King Michael abdicate early. It makes Independent Reds problematic for the Russian player.

As USSR you can use DeStalinization to have him move to South America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
One might argue for Tenzin Gyatso, also, though he was not technically enthroned until 1950.

Technically, hasn't he been the ruler of Tibet during all the wars since 1650? whistle

(No, I don't really believe in reincarnation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Of course they never found Hitler's body...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

I know you're only joking and it's a good joke, but isn't there a claim the Soviets did find Hitler's and Eva Braun's bodies and took them some where so no burial spot would become a shrine to Nazis past and future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madame Chiang Kai-shek, Soong May-ling lived until October 23, 2003, dying at the age of 105, or about 105 years old.

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon lived until March 30, 2002, dying at the age of 101.

Empress Kōjun, empress consort of the Emperor of Japan lived until June 16, 2000, dying at the age of 97.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm suprised there's that many--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Francisco Franco still dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
This leaves two remaining World War II heads of state:

Whaoa! That's the FINAL JEOPARDY to end all FINAL JEOPADRYs. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

Critically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

I know you're only joking and it's a good joke, but isn't there a claim the Soviets did find Hitler's and Eva Braun's bodies and took them some where so no burial spot would become a shrine to Nazis past and future?

I saw a book (title escapes me) which purported to be the KGB files from the investigation into Hitler's death. In this book were pictures of a somewhat charred jawbone which Hitler's dentist identified as belonging to Der Fuhrer. It and other remains were, according to this book, buried somewhere secretly until the early 1950's. At this time they were dug up, burned and the ashes scattered into a river, perhaps the Vistula, so no Adolf-worshipping cultists could get their hands on them.

I found the book in question in a used bookstore, almost bought it but finally decided it was a) a bit morbid and b) irrelevant. Regardless of the exact details, old Adolph is dead and we will hopefully never see his likes again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Oof. This thread just triggered a multi-hour wikipedia binge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
aiabx wrote:

Critically.

I recall he shifted to a higher plane in stately fashion, one organ at a time.

Serrano Súñer almost made it through his 102nd year and was the last of those involved at the highest level. He was responsible for sending the Blue Division to fight the godless Soviets, though continuous Spanish enthusiasm for the fray far exceeded their government's willingness to acknowledge volunteers in later war years [which is not unlike the situation in France, and arguably Belgium]. Theirs must be the most adorned Axis memorial:-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still two World War II heads of state left.

Continuation of the story...

King Michael of Romania (1927-1930, 1940-1947) died on December 5, 2017, at his residence in Switzerland. He was 96. He is credited with pre-emptively saving thousands of lives when, at 22, he had the audacity to arrest the country’s dictator, a puppet of Adolf Hitler. Historians say his action might have shortened the war by months, saving tens of thousands of lives. His great-great-grandmother was Queen Victoria of England.

His death follows Norodom Sihanouk, King of Cambodia (1941-1955, 1993-2004), who died in 2012.

That leaves Simeon Borisov Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (or Sakskoburggotski), a graduate of the Valley Forge Military Academy and College. He served as Tsar of Bulgaria (1943-1946) and later served as Prime Minister of Bulgaria (2001-2005) joining the aforementioned Norodom Sihanouk as the only two former monarchs in history to have become the head of government through democratic elections. In February 1945, his three regents including his uncle were executed by the Communists. His great-grandfather was a first cousin of Queen Victoria, and her husband, Prince Albert.

And there is also Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet. After the Chinese Civil War, the People's Republic of China incorporated Tibet in 1950.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael really does seem to have been a man of some quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim B
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

I heard he had shook that off and was starting to feel better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.