Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DaveO Suave
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A mini review of the Carcassonne, The Minis.

First of all, I have to give a shout out to http://godboma.com out in Quebec. Without them, getting the European pre-US release versions of these expansions would’ve been too expensive.

As an aside, has anyone else discovered the wonders of ordering Euros from Canada and saving on the otherwise high cost of shipping from Europe? This was my first foray into ordering a game from out of the country, and the folks at Godboma were awesome. Top marks!

Secondly, another shout out goes to the folks at carcassonnecentral.com for set of English Rules to use for the Carcassonne expansions. We used the Carcassonne 6.1 Rules. Without them, we would have to rely on my wife’s high school French to have translated the rules.

Thirdly, I must own up right away before I type any further - my review of the Carcassonne Minis is largely biased. We have a distinct way of playing Carcassonne that, by extension, knowingly affects my opinion.

We largely play "semi-cooperatively", namely - we try to complete our own features without intentionally jerking around with other features. For the most part, certain expansions (Inns and Cathedrals, both River expansions, Traders and Builders, Abbey and Mayor, Bridges, Castles and Bizarres, Cult and Siege) are played in our household, while others that are heavy in affecting other folks' established meeples (the Tower, Princess and the Dragon) are not.

So your own mileage will certainly vary.

That said, here’s my two cents on the Carcassonne Minis:

The Flyer – this is my favorite one, simply because, yes, it helps me with those mega-opolis formations my wife tends to make... and earning a nice shared influence or domination on said city (but the couch later in the evening). Why not share those points with meeples that glide in from the SKY? Yes, the randomness of a 1d3 (6 sides, 3 potential results) of the glider in a fixed direction makes for an interesting time, but the whole idea of having a meeple come from the SKY is just a fun idea.

The Dispatches – sadly, this hasn’t made it to our table yet. More on this if/when it makes it.

The Ferries – great for folks that love variations on road scoring, especially if you’re a wagon fiend like one of our regular players. Basically, it’s a T-shaped road tile with a lake in the middle of it. Players can alter the ferry from one completed road to another extension, potentially doubling their points at would otherwise be a T-formation, completing one feature, and that’s that.

The Robbers – another good one. The tiles that allow you to “take half of the points of the next completed feature of a selected opponent” is quite handy, plus it’s again, “sharing points”. Sort of. Those with high scoring games will come to like this expansion, others will say it’s not as good as a complete 1:1 share or better to steal the feature from someone completely. Again, YMMV.

The Gold Bars – this is an interesting one. It’s similar to the utilities seen in the Traders and Builders expansion in that completed features near the gold bars get you the extra point values, but the way in which the gold bars actually score is not linear, it’s more of a progressive scoring structure. So those that are good at getting the bars need to be stopped (if it’s not you) and/or points go up dramatically (30-40+) should an individual get lucky enough to collect many/most of the bars.

The Mage and the Witch – this one is both popular (adding +1 pt per tile for a completed feature with the Mage) and unpopular (-1 per tile for a completed feature with the Witch) in our household. You play the tile and put the Mage or Witch on an uncompleted feature, but when the tile comes out, you MUST choose one. You cannot opt out. I thought it was decent enough, but the Mage certainly got more play in our semi-cooperative method of playing than the Witch.

Crop Circles II – French Countryside Boogaloo – similar to the Dispatches, we haven’t played with these yet. But they will make it to the table soon enough.

All in all, a great addition to an existing Carcassonne set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review and great idea about ordering from Canada! I'm gravitating toward certain of these (our play style sounds like yours) and am interested to hear about the other minis once you play them, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveO Suave
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Godboma link for their Carcassonne The Minis bundle.

http://godboma.com/Carcassonne-Mini-Bundle-VF.html

(Just remember - this one is in French)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecil Deveau
United States
Stonington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... I thought these were getting scrapped with the change in the publisher? If not, this makes me very happy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are at my local game store now, I'm sure my friend Jason just can't wait to get them to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
These are at my local game store now, I'm sure my friend Jason just can't wait to get them to the table.

I would give you a thumbs down if I could. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.