Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys and gals!

I have this problem...

The thing is I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, but never really been that huge of a fan. But since buying, and playing, this game I seem to have become a bit too attached to the Star Wars-universe. Since buying this game I have:

- Bought and played Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube), I'm also looking for the third installation of the series, Rebel Strike. I've owned the first one since I was a kid but my N64 seems to have taken a turn for the worse... thinking of buying a new N64.

- Read comics depicting the adventures of Wedge Antilles.

- Researched which Star Wars-books to buy.

- Watched the movies again.

- Spent a bit too much time at Wookiepedia.

- Talked about Star Wars with my friends while they look strangely at me.

- Looked for other Star Wars board games to buy.

- Had Star Wars music playing in my head pretty much the whole time.

- Actually watched this clip from start to finish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5hTlu4wuA

What's happening to me? Help me! Has someone else experienced the same thing since buying the X-Wing Miniatures Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to really love Star Wars as a child, Return of the Jedi being my favorite before I grew into my teens and completely forgotten about it.
Then when I was 19 and playing in a band, the drummer Adrian who had given me a lift home after my audition saw I had a model snowspeeder which I had bought to proxy an Eldar Falcon in 40K.
He was fully into Star Wars and told me to read the Thrawn Trilogy of books and man that was it - I had gotten into TIE Fighter, started playing WEG Star Wars Miniature battles, and reading more of the novels.

It has been over 15 years since then and other than a stint of collecting WoTC Star Wars miniatures I never really looked into Star Wars much at all until FFG's X-Wing.
I love watching the space battles in the movies over and over again.

Check this out, it is an Australian musical comedy group Tripod showing their love for Star Wars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxYBND30RCg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:

He was fully into Star Wars and told me to read the Thrawn Trilogy of books and man that was it - I had gotten into TIE Fighter, started playing WEG Star Wars Miniature battles, and reading more of the novels.

Hmm, I think I'll follow your old friends' advice and look into that trilogy.

squallgoku wrote:

Check this out, it is an Australian musical comedy group Tripod showing their love for Star Wars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxYBND30RCg

Oh dear god, please don't let it get to that! shake
galathonredd wrote:

"You've taken your first steps into a larger world."

Sounds expensive. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
May the Force be with you!!!

I have entire bookshelves full of Star Wars books,
Here are my opinions:
The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is the place to start.
The X-Wing series of novels by Stackpole and Allston is EXCELLENT. (and the most fitting considering the game. (but still start with the Thrawn Trilogy)
I, Jedi is a great novel featuring a character from the X-Wing books.
Then there is the Thrawn Duology by Zahn.
The New Jedi Order is a great series as well.
Avoid anything written by Kevin J Anderson, IMHO his books are the worst of the worst.

Check the Timeline in the beginning of the books for the proper reading order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
What - no LEGO Millenium Falcon or Death Star?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:

Not yet, thankfully.

Though I did see an ad for a local store having 25% off on Lego-products, including the Star Wars ones... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
skewie wrote:
lajaro wrote:

Not yet, thankfully.

Though I did see an ad for a local store having 25% off on Lego-products, including the Star Wars ones... whistle

If you absolutely can't resist, wait for the sales at Amazon and Target and ship cross-border. Much cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
skewie wrote:
lajaro wrote:

Not yet, thankfully.

If you absolutely can't resist, wait for the sales at Amazon and Target and ship cross-border. Much cheaper.

You know, the purpose of this thread is not to make me more of a Star Wars-geek. But rather to stop me(and others) from continuing further down the spiral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skewie wrote:
lajaro wrote:
skewie wrote:
lajaro wrote:

Not yet, thankfully.

You know, the purpose of this thread is not to make me more of a Star Wars-geek. But rather to stop me(and others) from continuing further down the spiral.

You came to the wrong place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
You came to the wrong place.

Haha, obviously I did. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May the Force be with your wallet.

And welcome to the club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skewie wrote:

Resistance is futile... Oups! Wrong quote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. DaVault
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is.... The card game is a LCG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genre_Fad wrote:

Here are my opinions:
The X-Wing series of novels by Stackpole and Allston is EXCELLENT. (and the most fitting considering the game. (but still start with the Thrawn Trilogy)
Avoid anything written by Kevin J Anderson, IMHO his books are the worst of the worst.

This is a great rundown of the best books - I've read all of these except I, Jedi and the X-Wing series, but of course that's about to change. I agree with your assessment!

Thrawn stuff is essential as it carries on the plot of the original movies. I feel New Jedi Order stuff is better written and more entertaining, but it's a generation ahead, so should probably be read later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genre_Fad wrote:

Here are my opinions:

Heed Ya'itz Yer'moov you must. Save you it can!

Zahn is the best of the best. His books hooked me on the EU and filled my shelves with many less worthy books. Stackpole/Alliston are a close second. The X-Wing series is excellent and a great tie in for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Small
msg tools
There are lots of things wrong with Star Wars, and I mean LOTS... but really there are so many awesome things though that just keep me coming back.

I grew up a huge fan, but the prequels really let me down. I finally learned to just go with them, but then the Clone Wars animated movie came out and turned me off of Star Wars for a few good years.

This game though... o man this game has really reminded me how great SW can be. It got me rereading older EU from back when Star Wars was infallible. My suggestion would be to read the Tales of the Jedi comic series, they are really awesome and represent the era much better than the Knights of the Old Republic video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I strongly recommend reading the Republic Commando books in order
they are really fantastic, really takes a different look to the Clone Wars
Karen Traviss wrote them and you can't put them down, you really start to look at the soldiers/clones side of the war and almost dislike the Jedi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniels
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skewie wrote:
Hey guys and gals!

I have this problem...

The thing is I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, but never really been that huge of a fan. But since buying, and playing, this game I seem to have become a bit too attached to the Star Wars-universe. Since buying this game I have:

- Bought and played Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GameCube), I'm also looking for the third installation of the series, Rebel Strike. I've owned the first one since I was a kid but my N64 seems to have taken a turn for the worse... thinking of buying a new N64.

- Read comics depicting the adventures of Wedge Antilles.

- Researched which Star Wars-books to buy.

- Watched the movies again.

- Spent a bit too much time at Wookiepedia.

- Talked about Star Wars with my friends while they look strangely at me.

- Looked for other Star Wars board games to buy.

- Had Star Wars music playing in my head pretty much the whole time.

- Actually watched this clip from start to finish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5hTlu4wuA

What's happening to me? Help me! Has someone else experienced the same thing since buying the X-Wing Miniatures Game?

Download and watch the "Star Wars Holiday Special" that should cure you lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, that is true
that was horrible
I've never even watched the whole thing, but what I saw was really bad
worse that 10 Jar Jars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the 'Clone Wars' CGI series on DVD.

It's so cheap, and it's so good. Just do it. It's phenomenal. A real work of love, by Star Wars fans, for Star Wars fans. Far superior to the CGI movie you may have seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that wave 3 includes Gungan pilots because ... wouldn't that just be awesome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
[geekurl=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/legostarwarsii/]Lego Star Wars[/geekurl]

This is my primary source of classic Star Wars fun. Great with the kids (or your own after a few beers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I bought the anniversary edition of Heir to the Empire and so far it's very good. The authors' notes in this edition gives an interesting perspective on how Star Wars has been developed.

I also stumbled upon the Dark Horse Comics implementation of the trilogy so I'll read that after I'm done reading the books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't forget the Republic Commando series, I just got a lady who "kind of" is a fan hooked on them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I read most of the EU books. X-wing series is by far my favorite. You should also buy some of the X-wing Comics, since some character in the novel originate in the comic, I think.

I was very lucky that my first SW movie is: the second half of ESB. My first SW novel is Splinter of the Mind Eye & Heir to the Empire, both of which is the prefect starting point for new SW fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.