Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
(Yeah I might need flameretardant pants for this)

So due to some threads in the wargame forum I been thinking about this.

Because while games such as Eclipse is clearly a bad Euro with a bit of theme that don't really work on the other hand there is good game such as Space Empires: 4X that should clearly be more in the wargame side.

But maybe they just can be differing

(and yes this might just be a bit of a hit on the Cult of Eclipse that sometimes feel like it is run by the same kind of personality that run The Cult of Skaro)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4X is a concept and an experiential objective that has more to do with theme than specific mechanics - it can fit into multiple "genres" to the extent that the underlying mechanics can be radically different from one game to the next.

If we were to classify things using An Alternative Classification of Board Games (long) genre classification, most 4x games combine 2 or more genres. Area Influence (War) is obviously at the heart of most 4x / empire building games - but there are plenty of other genres that make an appearance too.

Of course, Selywth's list of Genres is much more narrowly defined than what I think you were referring two - which is more at the level of domains. Most 4x games are hybrids, being some mashup between euro, AT, and wargame - I don't think the whole 4x category can be placed in any one genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your comments have absolutely nothing to do with your question. It just seems like your trolling for an argument of Eclipse vs. Space Empires.

4x genre is primarily associated with Sci-Fi themed games but is also applied to many games of Colonial expansionism. In one form or another it's:
- eXplore
- eXpand
- eXploit
- eXterminate

To a degree, both games you describe can fall into the 4x category though for myself, I find Eclipse more of a space Weuro then a pure Euro.

(FWIW, a Weuro or Warro is a hybrid wargame/Euro)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
4X in itself can be considered its own genre. You will have a lot of cross overs, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in any way relevant - but just wanted to say, Pippers, that I like your avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burbine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the obsession with genres around these parts. Especially the really broad ones ("Euro" v "AT". Seriously, who cares?). I'll wager that no one, ever, will actually not look into a game if it is classified as one or the other. And if they do, they're extremely ignorant.

Mechanics are a useful way to look at games, but beyond that, why limit yourself? Even mechanics can be misleading if something is unique. Or is it an OCD categorical thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
(Yeah I might need flameretardant pants for this)

If you already think you do...but yes, the #5 game in all of board gaming is "clearly" a bad euro that doesn't really work...for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't get how Eclipse keeps getting called a euro.

Miniatures. Dice based conflict. Player elimination. But hey everybody, it's got victory points, it must be a euro! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't get how Eclipse keeps getting called AT.

Wooden cubes. Resource tracks. Low downtime. But hey everybody, it's got random tile drawing, it must be AT! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:

Wooden cubes. Resource tracks. Low downtime. But hey everybody, it's got random tile drawing, it must be AT! shake

Plastic Ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people dislike Eclipse. People who dislike it because it contains elements that they hate about AT games, which they also hate, call it an AT game. Conversely, people who dislike it because it contains elements they hate about euros, which they also hate, call it a euro. The people who like it call it a hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lacreighton wrote:
The people who like it call it a hybrid.

And some of them just don't bother with a classification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
virre wrote:
Because while games such as Eclipse is clearly a bad Euro with a bit of theme that don't really work

If you really want to troll it's better to post this directly in the Eclipse forums. You'll get a much better hit rate there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ross
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
Mezmorki wrote:

Plastic Ships?

That would make an awesome name for a game...

Wooden Cubes & Plastic Ships arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be confused with the podcast Wooden Cubes and Iron Soldiers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Why a demand to pigeonhole everything?
There are some which fit other categories as well as 4x.
But, as a class, they are not a subset of another genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.