Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Will the Force be strong within this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I don't remember the Force being a great factor of win or lose in the space combats of the Star Wars movies (mostly in ep IV-VI) and I don't know much about the Expanded Universe, but I wonder if the Force will make an appearance in the X-Wing game? The Force IS a great and important part of Star Wars after all.

What's your take on this? Would it be cool to have a Force-sensitive Luke or Vader pilot their ships or would the Force be misplaced in a dogfighting game like X-Wing?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The high pilot skills and special abilities of Vader and Luke represent their connection to the Force and their ability to make use of it during piloting. Vader is hands-down the best pilot in the game, and this is easily cashed out as the Force.


I'm not sure the game needs a separate Force mechanic, especially since only two or three pilots would be able to use it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with RogueThirteen in that their force skill is represented in their Pilot Skill.

But, I have wondered if they might do a Force skill icon in the upgrades bar. Then have some upgrade cards. Possibly even dark/light cards. Though, I imagine it would just be force cards.

Depending on how far into the EU they go, there could be quite a number of force sensitive pilots. Aside from Luke/Vader, we have Coran Horn, Mara Jade and Keyan Farlander - just off the top of my head.

Could be a mini-expansion down the line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Depending on how far into the EU they go, there could be quite a number of force sensitive pilots. Aside from Luke/Vader, we have Coran Horn, Mara Jade and Keyan Farlander - just off the top of my head.
If everything fails, there could alwys be no-name Force-sensitive pilots, but this would be kinda weak. ^.^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
D. Vader wrote:
This one is.... weak in the force.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Loos
United States
Chicagoland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
So far, judging by Vader and Luke, force seems to equate with better action economy and higher skill.

To me, that feels right.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're saying the Focus action doesn't represent drawing on the Force? Vader can pretty much Focus at will; Luke has a permanent defensive Focus, although weakened a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my gaming group directly linked Lukes special ability to the force. He can "feel" the incoming danger and thus he can evade it with his focus.
Haven't really thought about Vaders' ability but it is pretty badass aswell. I'd say that would pretty much cover the "Force-factor" in this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it would have been nice to have something called the Force in the game (and I appreciate the points made that Luke and Vader already have Force-like abilities). But, I still think it would be great if Luke and Vader came with Force points (or maybe an upgrade card for Force points). Maybe they could let you move 1 extra straight, or reroll a certain number of dice. I recognize this would change their cost (which is why it maybe best as an upgrade). Overall I am happy with the game, but do feel this is missing a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
Hi!

I don't remember the Force being a great factor of win or lose in the space combats of the Star Wars movies (mostly in ep IV-VI) and I don't know much about the Expanded Universe, but I wonder if the Force will make an appearance in the X-Wing game? The Force IS a great and important part of Star Wars after all.

What's your take on this? Would it be cool to have a Force-sensitive Luke or Vader pilot their ships or would the Force be misplaced in a dogfighting game like X-Wing?


Well, with the StealthX's, a lot of Jedi would use their force powers to steer and divert their shadow bombs.

And you could say Luke's shot down the death star was force related. He did do it without a targeting computer afterall.

But I hope they do not bring in a separate force mechanic. I don't think it would be cool at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
Australia
Ballarat
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about the emperors battle meditation? I would link to it on wookipedia but I'm on my phone. Something like that could give a small buff to your academy pilots like an expensive droid but it works for all the non named pilots or something
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:


And you could say Luke's shot down the death star was force related. He did do it without a targeting computer afterall.


So, maybe Luke should be able to use Photon Torps without needing a Target Lock? laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:


And you could say Luke's shot down the death star was force related. He did do it without a targeting computer afterall.


So, maybe Luke should be able to use Photon Torps without needing a Target Lock? laugh


This ain't Star Trek.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL... I suppose that would be quite a trick
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.