Popular Tags: [View All]
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. Or maybe I have to wait a week. Who knows.

About two weeks ago I interviewed for my own job. That is, the job I have been doing for three months.

I didn't do as well as I hoped. I haven't been give any info on the number of candidates, but I can infer from conversations with my boss that I am not the lead candidate. That is depressing.

The funny thing is I am not sure I will accept the job if they offer it.

I am a lot better off than a lot of people. I just talked to a lady who has been in her job for 20 years and the job is being outsourced. She has the opportunity to reapply for her own job, go through the interview process, and if she is lucky, get her job back with less pay and no seniority.

Have you ever had to interview for your own job? How did it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear it. I've never had to interview for my own job, but I can imagine how stressful it would be. However, I was selected to be laid-off from my current job (back in 2010,) only to be 'allowed' to stay, and it has taken me quite sometime to make peace with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to once and came off fairly pissed. But I got it anyway and got a pay raise. Downsizing sucks.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:

They tried to an outsource in-place at a place I worked. The new people only cared about what skill boxes you could check and I've always been more about getting the job done and less about collecting checkbox items. I just started looking for a new job and got out of there quickly. I heard later that they gave up on the idea, but lots of other people had left by that time.

Once your employer makes it that clear you are just a replaceable commodity to them, it is time to go somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked at a place once where they underwent an insane reorganization and everyone had to reapply for their own jobs. I though it was stupid at the time because there were two slots open in my department and the only two people qualified for those slots were my boss and myself. Why should I have to reapply for a job that I was the only person at the site qualified to do? When I asked that question in one of the town hall meetings, the big wig said that it was possible for anyone to get any job. I said that was not true as each job listed certain base qualifications and years of experience which not everyone at the site could meet for every job. So it was a waste of time for me to go through this exercise. But if that were truly the case I wanted to know what this guys new title and job was because I wanted to apply for it instead.

He said it was not a job that could be applied for since it was a direct report to the plant manager and the plant manager was able to pick his direct reports. I then pointed out that he had just proved himself wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, that's awkward.

i had to interview for my own job years ago. my first job out of college, but it was during the dotCom boom and jobs were abundant.

good luck to you either way, hopefully it will all work out for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to once, when I was a book cover designer for a publisher and the owner of the company told me that as far as he was concerned, all books could be white with helvetica on them.
I knew then, there was no reason to stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1990 I worked for the Ingres Corp when they were bought out by Ask Computers. Word went out that there would be elimination of some jobs as they combined the two companies.
So like a lot of folks there I started looking to see what my other job options were. Well a bunch of the folks in my department got fired and I was one of the few that wasn't. However the week after the announcements came out I got a much better job offer because I'd been looking. My new boss from Ask was a little upset that I quit the week after she allowed me to stay.
Too bad for them, they created the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I've never had a job change I didn't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone through this twice. Right after college, I had a temporary position doing data-entry and inventory control at a warehouse. One of the ladies in the office got a promotion, which meant a permanent position had just opened up, at the same time the temp position was going away. I applied for it, but didn't get it. I found out years later, that my job was basically given to the general manager's niece.

A few years ago, I had another temp. job, doing deliveries for the City of Portland. They decided to make this position permanent, with two openings. But they had to post the position publicly. I knew nothing about applying for a government position. I naively assumed that the fact I was doing the job in question would be sufficient to at least get me an interview. Turns out there was a whole scoring procedure. My boss was allowed to interview the top five scored applications. I was number six. Four of the five people ahead of me had never done the job before. Not only did I lose the position, but I got to train my replacement as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:

I had an adjunct teaching position at a university that required me to reapply for my job every year (not just interview--full application), which sucked. I got rehired several years in a row (as my evaluations were always higher than the department averages, which in turn were higher than the campus averages).

But eventually they fired all of us and tried to replace us with TAs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the stories, folks. I am encouraged by them.

I still haven't heard about my job. I am unemployed until then. So I have to find chores and stuff to do to keep myself busy. It nice in a way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my Mom's friends works at a Rubber Factory. It got bought out by another company and they were going to transfer all of the machinery from the plant she was at to a plant in Indiana. Everyone at her plant would lose their jobs once the transition was complete.

The company moved some of the equipment to Indiana. No one at the plant in Indiana knew how to operate the equipment and the company started losing lots of money because they couldn't keep up with sales, so they moved the machinery back so that the experienced employees could work them.

Unfortunately, they had laid off some people already and they got other work. So, the workers who had remained now work a lot of 80 hour weeks (meaning overtime pay). The company isn't losing money now, but they could have been making a lot more money if they hadn't lost those experienced employees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.