Subject: the one thing that bothers me about this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I do enjoy this game alot but one thing bugs me.....

There are no zombie aliens in this game, or magician aliens. When you pick a faction it is not an adjective of one another. So sorry, there is no combination of cards that will give you dinosaur ninjas. You will get dinosaurs and ninjas however.

Call it an issue of semantics but................

(Although I guess the action cards give a "feel" of the described faction, so maybe you could add a wizardy feel to dinosaurs. So ignore this post, just wondering if it bothers other people when people use this term)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have absolutely no idea what this post is about. I have to face zombie/aliens a lot, but my dinosaur/pirates are usually up to the task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
There are no zombie aliens in this game, or magician aliens. When you pick a faction it is not an adjective of one another. So sorry, there is no combination of cards that will give you dinosaur ninjas. You will get dinosaurs and ninjas however.

Sounds like an opportunity for an expansion--one unique card for each combination. Though that could get out of hand quickly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually a thought I had a lot while doing the art. I had thought about putting a wierd mutant Pirate/Ninja in there, etc. But ultimately given the fact that sometimes they'll be Pirate/Ninja, but other times Pirate/Alien, I couldn't really cover all the bases for every combo (and how weird would it be to have a Pirate/Ninja if you were playing Pirate/Alien).

So instead I went with trying to make each group as visually cool/fun on their own as possible, and then have a few guest appearances, such as the King Rex fighting the UFO on that one Trickster action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think playing an action card from one of your factions on a minion from your other faction achieves this rather elegantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timgoddard wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:

Sounds like an opportunity for an expansion--one unique card for each combination. Though that could get out of hand quickly...

Yup.. Currently 28 combinations.. So at most 24 of these specific cards wouldn't be used PER GAME if it was a 4 player game..

Then I think once there are 12 factions it bumps up to something like 66 combinations?

Not worth it! They did a great job how they did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I would rather have Ninja *riding* on the backs of Dinosaurs or hiding in King Rex's pooper than a Dinosaur in a Gi or a Ninja with green scales.

Just saying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan S
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
It's actually a thought I had a lot while doing the art. I had thought about putting a wierd mutant Pirate/Ninja in there, etc. But ultimately given the fact that sometimes they'll be Pirate/Ninja, but other times Pirate/Alien, I couldn't really cover all the bases for every combo (and how weird would it be to have a Pirate/Ninja if you were playing Pirate/Alien).

So instead I went with trying to make each group as visually cool/fun on their own as possible, and then have a few guest appearances, such as the King Rex fighting the UFO on that one Trickster action.

While it is a little bit of a bummer that it's not super direct, I think it's pretty close. And I will say, I commented to my wife yesterday (she and I played it for the first time) that I love the card art. One of my favs, personally. She also said she really liked the art. And she was also partial to the fun of the faction choices. One of the few games she's actually now interested in playing : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that attempting this, especially in the original implementation of the game, would have diluted the factions causing them to lose some of the awesome flavor they capture as they are.

That being said...at some point perhaps there will be an expansion-expansion (like Arkham Horror just did) providing 1-4 cards per faction printed that offer some cross-faction flavor while not requiring a particular pairing, or "you can replace cards in your deck with these if playing this pairing" for more direct flavor. (It'd also change the decks up a bit, which might give the game a bit more shelf life than additional factions would for the long run.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
That being said...at some point perhaps there will be an expansion-expansion (like Arkham Horror just did) providing 1-4 cards per faction printed that offer some cross-faction flavor while not requiring a particular pairing, or "you can replace cards in your deck with these if playing this pairing" for more direct flavor. (It'd also change the decks up a bit, which might give the game a bit more shelf life than additional factions would for the long run.)

I don't think that this is necessary.

I mean, the game has been out for what, a week? Are we really talking about ways to give it more shelf life already? How many times could people have possibly played it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
11, MB. I have played 11 times. But I get your point, no need for expansions while the box still has that new game smell! Still, it is almost too obvious that they left room for expansions in the form of new factions. I kinda like the idea of some combo cards which can be added (or substituted) but I think AEG will not do anything like that until they put out the new factions which they most likely already have in the works. My guess is that they put the game out with the first eight factions which playtested well and held the rest for tweaking and then as expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.