Subject: The New Era vs Race For The Galaxy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played 51st State and I've had limited plays of The The New Era, but I am already very impressed with this game. I don't play RftG much but when I do bring it out I enjoy it. However, now that The New Era is on the scene I don't foresee RftG hitting the table again, certainly not in the near future.

My enjoyment factor with The New Era is far higher that RftG. I think the level of player interaction with TNE hits the sweet spot, the theme feels less tacked on than RftG and I just prefer the games mechanics. I'm eager to play this game at game nights which was something RftG never did for me. I've got The New Era rated at 8.5 at the moment and if it continues to give me the same enjoyment factor after my honeymoon with it is over, it may even get up to a 9 which is special for a card game.

Im interested in peoples thoughts on their experience with The New Era compared to RftG. Has anyone else found The New Era has made RftG redundant for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hoon
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
I have not played RftG, but I agree on all your thoughts about TNE. I really really love this game, and so has everybody that I have introduced it to. This year at Essen a new TNE expansion called Winter will be released. Looks very interesting, adds a sixth player as well as a shorter game variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Chmielewski
Poland
Bydgoszcz
kujawsko-pomorskie
flag msg tools
I own 51th State/ New Era / Winter. I'm a big fan of those titles. I played a lot of games. I've played just a few RfTG games. If I was about to compare them I would say that RfTG is far more elegant and well designed, while New Era is a better game with a lot of design flaws. For example try playing New Era with 5 people. After 3 hours of permanent headache you will know that you do not want to go through this again. If you combine the three sets of cards, they write that you can play with 6 people. Geezzz... that must be horrific. Even with skilled players.

Maybe if I had a chance to play RfTG more I would have some more complaints but for now I find it a better, smarter game. But for some reason I chose to stick with Mr. Trzewiczek and after buying Winter and playing a game of New Era + Winter I'm on my knees and wanting more. Even if it's a 2,5 hour marathon even with 2 people.

I think that New Era forces me to consider a lot more combinations and using them in your favor is more satysfying. That's the bottom line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Chmielewski
Poland
Bydgoszcz
kujawsko-pomorskie
flag msg tools
bloedbyl wrote:
Looks very interesting, adds a sixth player as well as a shorter game variant.

What do you mean by a shorter game variant?
Winter lasts for 6 turns. New Era sometimes finishes on 4th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression of 51st state is that had some great ideas but was severely underdeveloped - I remember the scoring in particular being very strange and very easy to screw up. I don't know if New Era addresses this.

Race, on the other hand, is one of the best developed games that I can think of, particularly in the genre of "a whole bunch of cards that each do several things and need to interact".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that RftG is a very well developed game, but I do think some of the expansions make it clunky and don't gel that well.

Although I haven't played 51st State many of the posts I have read suggest it was underdeveloped with some design flaws, I have only played The New Era 2 player but I haven't come across any major glitches. The scoring system seems quite straight forward.

As slick as RftG may be I just think The New Era has twice the fun factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
They both have overwrought iconography, an expansion line stretched too far, and not nearly enough interaction given that Glory to Rome exists. They're equally wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I would not agree that either of these games are underdeveloped, I think it is much harder to 'make contact' in the ways you wish to then it is to painfully discard cards you do not want to.

I think both games are good in their own right - I would stay far away from playing 51st State/New Era with more than 3 players where I do not find that same issue with RftG. In 51st/NE, it was many many hours with high play counts and newer players find it much more difficult to find the synergy between the different cards. Plus, the 'I lead, you follow' mechanic of RftG allows you see some things in action and are up to speed after a few rounds...then its over because 25 vp is easily achievable in that game.

That said, I wish I could get more plays in of 51st State/New Era and hope I can justify a purchase of Winter down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Chmielu wrote:
[A]fter buying Winter and playing a game of New Era + Winter I'm on my knees and wanting more.

Not in the database yet. soblue

Any word on U.S. release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Chmielu wrote:
[A]fter buying Winter and playing a game of New Era + Winter I'm on my knees and wanting more.

Eh? It's been in the database for a few months. Winter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Exercises in Futility" by Mgła
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is a good game. I’m always glad to play it. I have the expansions for it, and I enjoy the new features they introduce. But, as NateStraight mentioned above, I’d rather play Glory to Rome. It’s a longer game, and it’s more elegant and intricate. However, while San Juan, Race for the Galaxy, and Glory to Rome all feature the same – or similar – mechanic of role-selection, The New Era is a different beast altogether. It’s somewhat difficult, then, to compare it with the others.

That being said, The New Era is my favorite of all of them (with Glory to Rome being a close second). In none of the games is iconography a problem, and one of my favorite elements of The New Era is it’s heartier length of play. I’ve never found the duration of The New Era with max players to be an issue, but I enjoy long games and have a longer attention span, so maybe that’s why. I’m already eager to buy the Winter expansion, and if there’s a chance it’ll add to the amount of time to play the game, I’ll be even happier.

I agree with opening post – that RftG, while fun, doesn’t hit the table much at all thanks to the acquisition of The New Era (and Glory to Rome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
NateStraight wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Chmielu wrote:

Eh? It's been in the database for a few months. Winter

Thank you! I was searching for The New Era: Winter, or 51st State: Winter. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zythal wrote:
...one of my favorite elements of The New Era is it’s heartier length of play....

Agreed. I feel like I've had a decent gaming session after one game of The New Era. There are some decent games out that end way too quickly for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Dembowski
Poland
Wroclaw
none
flag msg tools
With Winter, it can sometimes feel too long, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil G
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ausir wrote:
With Winter, it can sometimes feel too long, though.

I must say that sometimes I have similar feeling. Maybe not "too" long but certainly longer than pure New Era.
I don't know, maybe: more resources (resource die) + more cards = more options + more actions = longer playtime ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race For The Galaxy is shorter, less lucky, and more developed. Personally, it is my absolute favorite game of all time. However, The New Era has (slightly) more interaction, and the theme certainly comes through far stronger.

New Era shines as one of the more thematic games of this genre. It also has differing factions which is something that I LOVE in any game.

Race is a bit more dry I suppose, but the sheer diversity of strategies along with the bluffing element puts it into it's own league. It is easily more balanced and more play tested. It is possibly the most play tested game of all time. I have played this over 500 times. I find it simply delightful.

And Glory to Rome is JUST PLAIN FUN. Absolutely the whackiest of the genre, Glory to Rome is interesting in that it is so unbalanced that it balances itself out. The whole point of Glory to Rome (and Innovation) is to be the first person to break the game. Since all of the cards are broken, every player has a fair chance of cheaply beating everyone to death.

Then there is San Juan. San Juan is a bit weaker than the other entries into the genre because of it's simplicity, however it's simplicity is also one of it's strong points. Yes, I heard myself say that sentence. The thing is, you can teach San Juan in 5-10 minutes even to a non-gamer, while Glory to Rome, New Era, and Race are all famously difficult to grasp. Also, while the game is quite simple, it does still have some amount of depth to it. For a non-gamer, this is a great introduction to the genre.

Let's see..... Gosu is great fun and highly interactive. It's really a good game until you realize that the best strategy is to do badly at first. That sort of ruined the game for me, but I still find it fun now and again. Once all players understand the strength of this strategy, the game becomes a weird meta-game of trying not to play cards. This certainly breaks the game to some extent, but also creates a different kind of game which is still quite fun.

Barons is an underrated one. It's certainly on the simpler side of these games, and newbies will find that there is a very simple strategy that is quite powerful. However, once you play several games you figure out how to beat this strategy. It's interesting in that you really only want to build 2-4 cards, and players often overbuild.

Puerto Rico might not be a card game, but I'd say it's sort of the grandfather of all of these games and is quite an achievement so long as you don't mind the dry theme.

London is amazing for the right people. It seems to be a love it or hate it affair but I personally love it. It is certainly longer than most games in this genre though.

Any others?..... I'll check the collection just give me a few seconds............ ah, Saint Petersburg. An old classic. The whole of the game is deciding when to stop investing in money and begin investing in points. It really tends to snowball near the end. Great fun.

Oh yeah.... and Seasons. This one is great for 2 players and has just the darned cutest art of all time. It's a real treat. Personally the game bogs down at 3 players and slows to a halt at 4 for me though. Still, with 2 it works wonderfully.

So basically, this is a genre filled to the brim with classics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.