Popular Tags: [View All]
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Descent 2 players also pick up and play the video game XCom? (The newly released version - not the original...)

I can't help but feel, as I am playing it, that the play of that game is so close to some of the same rules and concepts of Descent 2.

I really think if the ability to mod that game comes out (I haven't read if there are plans for it to be community modded or not) - someone a bit more tech savvy than I could make an actual Descent mod and make the board game playable in that game!

So yeah... if you love descent and turn based video games - you just might really dig XCom. (I know thematically it's very different... but hey - game play wise it's pretty cool.) Try the free demo if you haven't!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's much more like Doom: The Boardgame, but yes. It's very cool that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
I feel it's much more like Doom: The Boardgame, but yes. It's very cool that way.

Thematically I can see that certainly. And I have the Doom boardgame but never played it... So hey - no chance to compare there.

But hey - that would work easily as well - would only need to change the models - could really keep some of the environments and make them work - where as with Descent it would be a complete remodel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but I haven't played it yet. Thematically, I find science fiction much more interesting than traditional fantasy, so it's already got that going for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd rather FFG produce an X-COM board game. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already working on one (though I imagine it would have been announced by now if they were).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Any Descent 2 players also pick up and play the video game XCom? (The newly released version - not the original...)

I can't help but feel, as I am playing it, that the play of that game is so close to some of the same rules and concepts of Descent 2.

Love the game, but I don't really get that feeling at all. XCOM has no overlord, Descent has no concept of cover or flanking. Character death in Descent is largely meaningless, while in XCOM it's a major event. They're both turn-based tactical campaigns with character development, and that's about the extent of the similarities.

That said, if some modder creates a fantasy conversion of the game, I will be ecstatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

Love the game, but I don't really get that feeling at all. XCOM has no overlord, Descent has no concept of cover or flanking. Character death in Descent is largely meaningless, while in XCOM it's a major event. They're both turn-based tactical campaigns with character development, and that's about the extent of the similarities.

That said, if some modder creates a fantasy conversion of the game, I will be ecstatic.

Yeah - there are obviously some major differences. I just get that feeling from the "2 actions" - ie. Move + attack, or move + move (dash), in first edition there was a guard action that could be similar to the overwatch if you wanted to go that far...

The OL would certainly be played by the AI (although a multiplayer mod would be beautiful for something like this!)

I just feel there are ENOUGH similar mechanics that a skilled mod could really take it and plunk in Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know what Soylent means. (great name by the way. Would love to see that movie again). I had the same thought. As a comparison to video games though Vandal Hearts or Final Fantasy tactics are even closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Original, and was very concered that this was going to be yet another dumbed downn console port. This time, it was not.

Great game, very true to the original. I give it an 8.5, and I'm sure after a patch or two, will raise to a 9 easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been totally obsessed with Xcom for several days now (actually, make that several nights shake) and I think it's far and away the best turn-based videogame ever produced. If somebody created a "final fantasy" type version of this, or just an RPG version, they would make a billion dollars (seriously).

I do agree with earlier poster that "death" in Descent 2e is trivial by comparison. In my Xcom games, when "Papa Bear" and "Brick" died, those were shocking events. Even so, a Descent-style mod would be wonderful. I'm playing on PS3 so that won't happen in my world, but still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
The XCOM system would make a great base for a spacehulk game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn is actually a VERY good representation of Xcom-like play in a board game.

If you like Xcom I think you would enjoy ER greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
Earth Reborn is actually a VERY good representation of Xcom-like play in a board game.

If you like Xcom I think you would enjoy ER greatly.

I have ER - but - it's been difficult to get into - the tutorial missions need a good time investment to get through to get into the real actual game... I haven't had the time nor the single other player to play with!

Maybe someday soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mills
msg tools
So has this idea died? Looking for modders who would be willing to give this idea a go. My house rules for Descent, actually fit right into the XCOM formula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - I think the idea is very dead.

HOWEVER!!! Fantasy Flight Games is essentially going to do it for us...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/3/30/deeper-...

They are making an app that will operate the Overlord role - heroes play through encounters that are hidden from them - as they advance the dungeon will reveal itself. Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear that XCOM 2 is a lot more moddable than XCOM:EU. Maybe somebody could do an XCOM 2 implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.