Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to my review of "Zombie! Run for Your Lives!". This is another part of my review series sparked by RightGames' "An Offer you cannot refuse" deal through which I received this copy for free.

Components
This game consists exclusively of a deck of cards which are of standard quality. Unlike most games from RightGames I've sampled so far the artwork goes into a much different direction of stark constrasts and strong colors.

There are 2 kinds of cards: Items with a white background and Zombies with a black background. Each card has a symbol in it's upper left corner that specifies which items and zombies cancel each other out.

Gameplay
This game is very simple. On your turn you:

* Draw a card
* Play a card (zombie on other players, item on yourself)
* [Optional] Play a second card (item on other players, zombie on yourself) and draw another card

You may not play a duplicate card in front of someone. If Player A has a Zombie Bus in front of him/her you cannot play another one there. You win if you have 5 items in front of you or if you're the only player who was not turned into a zombie. If you ever have 5 zombies in front of you, you are overwhelmed and turned. You continue to play (in a slightly different way) but can no longer win.

Impression
This is a difficult game for me to evaluate since I've discovered I'm not really the type for it. I suspected as much but figured I liked the theme well enough to give it a try.

This is not a strategical game of planning, building and thinking. It's a game of ganging up on each other until one player manges to slip through or only one player remains.

What I liked about the game was the fun theme. I'm not particularly a zombie fan but the game puts a fun spin on the theme. The zombies are less than serious and the items to counter them with follow the same line. For example the Bikini zombie is scared away by a mouse and to defend against flying zombies you get an umbrella with a spear tip on it.

Positives
* usually very quick
* fun cards
* no player elimination

Negatives
* In principle this game can take forever.

Conclusion
It's not my cup of brains. But I've played it with some casual minded folks and they've requested I bring it back again. So clearly this is a matter of taste (maybe with a nice Chianti?). Alcohol might very well improve my enjoyment of this game. But until then I might not run for my life but I'll certainly try to avoid Zombies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.