David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in another thread somewhere suggesting closing off some routes to make the East expansion map playable with 2. I would certainly assume one of the routes you would close is one of the 3 leading into bags/actions ( I almost wonder if one of those 3 should be closed for even a 3 player game). Has anybody tried closing down routes and playing with 2? I would love for something like this to work because Hansa T has the potential to be a great two player battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player HT is as awful as multiplayer is wonderful. The map doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bharath Allam
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 2 player yesterday and it was so broken. I played 5 player game before and really liked the game. However, 2 player game was so different...it was just awful. Wonder whether it was even play tested for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit of a headache, but a decent way of playing this for 2 players is to control 2 colors each (turn order alternating between players), and your final score is your minimum score across those 2 colors. That brings back the "traffic jam" feel of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My theory is when someone is designing a game, they have either multi-players or just two players in mind.

I think the problem is, there are always those who want to make great multi-player games into two player games, so designers feel the need to make some kind of 2 player version.

This usually results in something a lot less worthwhile. We rarely see people demanding multi-player versions of games designed for two, such as Netrunner.

I think it's just better to find a great game designed for two rather than to force a game designed for multiple players into some ugly bastardized version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
We rarely see people demanding multi-player versions of games designed for two, such as Netrunner.

Au contraire, there actually is a Netrunner multiplayer format, called Big Sellout. Big Sellout is a 2v2 format where that pits a Corp-Runner duo against each other. It was apparently decently popular in original Netrunner days, and a friend of mine is bringing it back for the new version here in Seattle. We actually have a tournament for it this weekend!

Anyway, I agree with your broader point that games are generally designed either for 2 players or for a less specific higher number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
It's a bit of a headache, but a decent way of playing this for 2 players is to control 2 colors each (turn order alternating between players), and your final score is your minimum score across those 2 colors. That brings back the "traffic jam" feel of the game.

How does this not devolve into both players just constantly displacing their own opposite color's pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
Azeltir wrote:

How does this not devolve into both players just constantly displacing their own opposite color's pieces?

It's true, friendly displacement would be so advantageous as to become an immediate problem. You may have to make a no-friendly-displacement rule. But otherwise it seems sound, if convoluted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.