Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an avid fan and player of GBoH, I was wondering why in MoI, this rule is not in effect?

I am picturing a unit of pikemen seeing a bunch of cavalry charging into their flank/rear and NOT being able to do a darn thing about it! whistle surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Just like in the GBoH Alesia game, some of the rules got simplified and abstracted away when the Men of Iron system was first created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
While I too love GBoH, I have resisted making changes to the rules that will complicate the game. You have no idea how many times I've really, really wanted reaction facing changes. The lack of these rules forces a player to keep their line together or choose not to and accept the penalty.

I am always asking myself if it is worth potentially losing my unit to flank an enemy unit when I turn away from others. I am a pretty aggressive payer and my answer is "Yes!" far too often. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Getting used to these simplified rules. Tough to see flanking attacks and no reaction facing change. Also, Longbows are devastating to mounted MAA. Unhorsed MAA are useless! soblue...Not sure about that one....

I thought the medieval horsies had those cute chainmail coats with the eyes cut out....laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
If you unhorsed MAA can Rally and then survive Reaction Fire as they take a second try against some Longbowmen, they can be quite effective.

But those are big ifs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Ralph. I just realized that unhorsed MAA CAN shock! So not completely useless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george schandel
United States
mastic beach
New York
flag msg tools
If you are in a line of units, facing an oncoming line of enemy units, it makes sense to have a rule that doesnt allow any of these units to change facing. However, the units at the 2 ends of the line should have a 3 hex front so they are not so easily flanked by a frontal attacking enemy line that just slighty overlaps your line by 1 unit. The enemy should have you overlapped by 2 units in order to gain a flank advantage. This is just commom sense, not an overly complex addition to the rules.
A unit not being approached from the front ought to be able to turn to face an enemy unit attacking its rear but becomes disordered to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
How big of a line do you need to qualify for the special 3 frontal hexes? 2 units? 3 or more?

The guys on the end of a line always had to worry about their open flank, that is why commanders often anchor their flank on a terrain feature. In the game, you can have your unit on the end turn slightly in line, this has the effect of refusing your flank. It isn't perfect, but it does work somewhat.

Would you really disorder your unit for the reaction facing change? In the ensuing Shock combat it could then be eliminated or retired, rather than just disordered. Disordered units would always use this option, since a second disorder result has no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.