Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
A friend of mine has offered to buy me a copy of Small World which looks like a game we'd both like playing. I was wondering if there was any reason why I should not get this game?

I was also wondering whether to get any of the expansions at the same time? Do any of them significantly improve or add depth/replayability to the original game?

The second game I'm seeking advice on is Mr. Jack - again I am looking for advice on whether to purchase any of the expansions or reiterations. What do they add to the game?

I own a copy of the original game and really like it. I find it challenging, especially playing as Jack. I like the time limit (you only have a certain number of rounds to win). And I like the quality of the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I know this probably isn't the response you wanted to get, but here is my two cents.

Small World has been a hit and miss game in our play group. IMHO the games presentation greatly outweighs its game play. Since your friend is willing to get the game for you I don't see any reason in not trying it out, but I would not invest in any of the expansions before you get a chance to play it a few times. I also feel that Small World is one of those games that falls into the "is functional with 2, but need at least 3 to be worthwhile" category.

Mr. Jack is a great game, but I have not personally been convinced in my research that the expansion adds enough to the game to justify purchasing it.

I hope that was of some help to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mr. Jack expansion gives you 5 more characters you can use instead of (or with) Stealthy, Goodley, Gull, Watson. You take 4 characters out of these 4 and the new 5. There is an interesting way to place charactrers on the map instead of having a fixed starting position. They don't get much play around here because we never got tired of the original version. But tossing Watson for a character that isn't so weak is pleasant.

Mr. Jack in NY is a different board, with slightly different rules. It is easier to win as Jack here. I think it is a lot of fun but not as much as the original. Other people think the opposite, but I don't know any Mr Jack fan who wishes he hadn't bought it.

--------

oh, and as for Smallworld. Do not buy any of the expansions until you are sure you like the game. Many, many, many people around here thought they would like it, bought it, played it once, and hated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
KnagrocK wrote:

I know this probably isn't the response you wanted to get, but here is my two cents.

These are both probably exactly the responses I want to hear. If you can talk me out of spending money I'm all for it, plus my dad won't be as angry (he doesn't support my board gaming habit!)

What are your thoughts on Mr. Jack Pocket?

So it's a no for expansions for Small World until I see if we like it enough. I will be able to get three players because most of the time my friend will bring her boyfriend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Anthony: Small World looks much beter than it plays.

Mr. Jack is a winner, and the expansion characters are a great addition. We mix up the suspects every time we play. Interestingly, we find this adds far more replayability than the makers of Small World achieved with their hybrid races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in a +1 for Small World. I, and my group, absolutely love the game, and all its expansions. It's very light and fun for all of us, with just enough tactical depth to satisfy, but not so much as to burn our brains or confuse. It scales very well from 2-5, coming with separate boards for each, and has tons of replayability, what with all the variability with the player races/powers.

You don't need expansions to enjoy the game, but if you end up enjoying the base game, the expansions (as well as Underground) do nothing but add to the awesomeness, and just add even MORE variety.

A lot of people don't seem to like the game, complaining that it's a bit boring, or 'samey' after a while. Perhaps the initial hype surrounding the game built up some unrealistic expectations for people. Not sure, because I never got that feeling, but to each his own! I will say that it's rated #60 for a reason. A lot of people really enjoy it, including me.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loganbreath wrote:
What are your thoughts on Mr. Jack Pocket?

I have not played it and do not plan to, so I cannot make any worthwhile comments about it. Sorry

I am glad I was able to help you otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't listen to them, small world is an awesome game! It is ranked 64 in the bgg rankings for a reason. It is one of my go to games and has probably been played more than any game I own. Watch this is you want to get an overall feel for it:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/15770/small-world/tableto...
Obviously this is just my subjective opinion, but it is one of my favorite games (and I own way too many damn games). The way that the races and powers will be different each game adds a ton of re-playability and buying the expansions extends the re-playability even further. If I could only keep 10 games this would be one of them. It plays well with two, but has a different feel with just two. I prefer more players as it adds a diplomacy aspect with the hidden money. In a close game(when you know you have the lead) trying to convince other people the leader is someone else so that you can gang up on them is a blast. I haven't played Mr. Jack yet, but I do have Mr. jack pocket which is a lot of fun. I was really surprised by how much I liked this game. I bought it on a whim and it is currently my favorite 15 minute game. It is dirt cheap and very portable too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket is a lot of fun for 15 minutes, but I made a portable Mr. Jack kit for travelling because I like the original game so much. This also gets around the problem with Mr. Jack, in that shuffling the tiles scuffs them, so you can tell which char is which from the backside due to the scuff patterns. We now take coloured tokens out of a sack instead to pick the 4 suspects to be used in a turn, and I have magnetic coloured tokens to make a mr jack travel that fits inside a metal coloured pencil case, with a scanned and scaled down map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Mr. Jack Pocket is a lot of fun for 15 minutes, but I made a portable Mr. Jack kit for travelling because I like the original game so much. This also gets around the problem with Mr. Jack, in that shuffling the tiles scuffs them, so you can tell which char is which from the backside due to the scuff patterns. We now take coloured tokens out of a sack instead to pick the 4 suspects to be used in a turn, and I have magnetic coloured tokens to make a mr jack travel that fits inside a metal coloured pencil case, with a scanned and scaled down map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Small World and most of its expansions. It is a fine, lite game. The problem I have with it is that it seems too heavy for nonboardgamers (they balk at the number of chits) and far to light for most of the people I enjoy playing games with.

Another problem is the logistics of keeping all those counters orderly and easy to find. Currently I am using plastic bags, but I am less than happy with the situation.

I have not played mr. Jack, so I cannot comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Small World but would certainly try before investing in the expansions. They don't add depth but do help with replayability.

Mr Jack is fun, not tried the expansions so can't help there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
Another problem is the logistics of keeping all those counters orderly and easy to find. Currently I am using plastic bags, but I am less than happy with the situation.

I actually spent a bit of time yesterday sorting out all the bits to make them fit in the box nicely! I more or less managed it with a few little plastic toolboxes but it isn't quite right just yet....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Which way do you go?
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is a great game and probably plays best for 2-3 players in my opinion. If you are looking to expand you my want to look into Small World Underground, a few things have been added to the base game to give it a little more depth/strategy.

I have no experience with Mr. Jack, though I did watch a review or two and was not impressed.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World - NO!
Mr. Jack - YES!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.