United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
From $2.10 per insect.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5342698-OrangeOnions-Real-Bugs-Insec...

This would make for an incredible version of Hive.

Sorry, save for that bit of awesomeness there is nothing else boardgame related. Or is there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:
From $2.10 per insect.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5342698-OrangeOnions-Real-Bugs-Insec...

This would make for an incredible version of Hive.

Sorry, save for that bit of awesomeness there is nothing else boardgame related. Or is there...

Someone please do this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fluhman
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
In for three of them - they'll make cool stocking stuffers for my sons. (Thinking they're pulling out a candy bar and it's....a millipede!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Koenig
United States
Weston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought this:

SKU Description Price Qty. Ext.
BUGSCC02 Real Bugs Collect-a-Case with Free Black Scorpion $19.99 1 $19.99
BUG7 Real Bugs Asian Hercules Beetle in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG17 Real Bugs Japanese Garden Spider in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG11 Real Bugs Asian Millipede Insect in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG20 Real Bugs Red Palm Weevil in Resin, Large $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG22 Real Bugs Deep Mountain Longhorn Beetle in Resin, Large $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG3 Real Bugs Siamese Rhinoceros Beetle in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG6 Real Bugs Giant Bee in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG5 Real Bugs Lantern Bug in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG8 Real Bugs Eastern Dobsonfly Larva in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
BUG18 Real Bugs Curculionid Beetle in Resin $6.99 1 $6.99
%SDBUG 70% Off Real Bugs! A SlickDeals Exclusive! -$62.92 1 -$62.92
Subtotal: $26.97

Free Shipping Promotion:
$0.00
Grand Total: $26.97

Perfect for boy's Christmas present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this could be considered cruelty to animals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yeolde modelshoppe
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
How? The bugs are humanely killed before they are encased in resin.

Yes, you are killing bugs for a trivial purpose, but it's not being done with any cruelty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeoldemodelshoppe wrote:

Yes, you are killing bugs for a trivial purpose, but it's not being done with any cruelty.

Where did you get the info on how the bugs are processed for encasing in resin? I'm curious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeoldemodelshoppe wrote:

How do you humanely kill a bug ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:

Usually by sealing the bug in a glass jar containing a rag soaked in chloroform. The insect is poisoned in a reasonably gentle manner. It can also be done by placing the container in a freezer until it hits ~0C; the risk is freezing the creature which makes it much less useful as a sample.

(I toured a museum entomology lab last year)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killing an animal, bug or a dog or whatever to make a game piece is kind of messed up. one bug may not make a difference to you but it makes a very big difference for the bug.

science is one thing, games are another

what if when aliens conquered the earth and encased you in a carbonite "galactic-rico" worker chip ...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Bogerly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposing, killing bugs for fun is bad but killing bugs for science/education is OK.

What about when fun == education ?

I'd rather kids play with a few dead bugs if they play with them and learn about them, than have the attitude that a bug is simply a target for a shoe. If kids never play with nature, they may never learn to appreciate nature. Sadly, bugs in resin may be a significant part of some kids' exposure to nature.

To further sidetrack this thread into moralistic ponderings, are your positions against real bugs in games similar to your positions against folks painting gaming miniatures with the hair of a killed Kolinsky sable? Cute little things...

And to answer your question, I'd rather be a galactic-rico worker then a smear on the bottom of their alien-shoes. But yes, alien invasion would suck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that pre suposes the fact that playing games equals education

that also assumes that playing hive teaches you about insects

a bit of a stretch.....

its not a requiremnet to have dead beings to enjoy hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow we are bored tonight folks.

Go download alien frontiers on ios and play some games, that game rules.

Or remember that solo game of ------ youve been putting off for too long? Go break it out, upgrade the minis, put on lotr soundtrack, grab some ice cream, and save the world. Thats an order soldier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of the time I used a horse's head encased in carbonite when I'd lost the knight in my chess set.

(+1 Star Wars/Godfather reference)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Bogerly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie plumber wrote:
that pre suposes the fact that playing games equals education

that also assumes that playing hive teaches you about insects

a bit of a stretch.....

its not a requiremnet to have dead beings to enjoy hive

Yes, I agree its a stretch to claim that adults playing Hive with real bugs teaches much. However, kids' education that sticks in the mind often comes from places you'd least expect, and it typically comes when kids are playing and exploring on their own. My own kids will always "play with" a game and its pieces more than they "play" the game. Even if kids just learn that bugs are cool, that would be something, and maybe would lead to less killing. Regardless, I don't think anybody is actually building a Hive set from these piece: wrong shapes, missing species, etc..

My main point in posting was simply to make folks think a bit more about killing before having a knee-jerk judgemental reaction to it. After all, just about everything we do kills something: What about those bugs on the trees when they were sent into the paper pulper to make the card-stock for our games? Or smashed on the windshield of the UPS truck bringing our latest Hot-deal game that we only bought because of the great price? Most folks don't think twice about killing those, but once someone kills a bug and pays attention to it and perhaps realizes that the bug is super-cool then that's messed up?

Personally, I'm glad you don't want to kill bugs (me neither).

Here come the aliens to render our discussion moot... goo goo goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the above poster raises some very good points. i am glad i checked this thread again cause now i have thought about things in a different way and thats not something ive ever expected from BGG. im almost stumped. however...

almost all of those situations fall under the "sh!t happens" umbrella

people are free to choose what they do with their money and what enterprises they support. personally i think its a bit screwey to kill bugs to make game pieces. im all for getting kids interested in anything that gets the gears turning, after all, they are gonna be the doctors that fix my brain when im an old dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Flamehearted wrote:

Usually by sealing the bug in a glass jar containing a rag soaked in chloroform. The insect is poisoned in a reasonably gentle manner.

Much like men sentenced to death by lethal injection are killed in a resonably gentle manner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Sphere wrote:
Ozludo wrote:
Flamehearted wrote:

Usually by sealing the bug in a glass jar containing a rag soaked in chloroform. The insect is poisoned in a reasonably gentle manner.

Much like men sentenced to death by lethal injection are killed in a resonably gentle manner?

Compared to the other ways they might go, is it not reasonably gentle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where this got so out of control, but this discussion really seems in poor taste to me. Are we really going to question eachother's morality for playing a game about bugs with a real bug collection? I mean, really, no one is even killing bugs here. They're already encased in resin. You'd probably kill more bugs just going for a jog.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but insects don't experience pain the same way as humans. We have nerve cells called nociceptors whose sole purpose is to create the sensation of pain. Insects have no such thing. Science! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this 'jog' you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
royboy_9 wrote:
What is this 'jog' you speak of?

I honestly have no clue. I've just heard wild tales of it taking place "outside". Apparently that's where bugs like to gather, but I wouldn't know as I've never been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello my names Tony and I'm a bug killer supporter - several years ago I purchased for my kids at Christmas resin marbles with bugs in them.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12409831

I've also found myself killing a few bugs every year when I go camping and I torture flies with fly strips and allow them to die a slow and painful death.

Has anyone seen the coffee???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
Hello my names Tony and I'm a bug killer supporter - several years ago I purchased for my kids at Christmas resin marbles with bugs in them.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12409831

Someday in the far off future, when all the bugs are extinct, some irresponsible genius will start an amusement park made up of giant bugs grown from the DNA extracted from these marbles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.