Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked and DS is in the store now (iOS-iTunes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snagged! You made my night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Great to hear. Thanks for the heads up. I'm off to my iPad now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Can anyone provide a link? Search in the app store is notoriously slow when it comes to finding new things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Awesome. Can anyone provide a link? Search in the app store is notoriously slow when it comes to finding new things.

It's the only result if you type in "Dominant Species."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BDKWombat wrote:
Snagged! You made my night!

Ditto, it's downloading now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
App is awesome and I really like that it has local network capability. Plays very well and the ai is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to choose the LVL3 AI....

I played 4 games now, all with LVL2 AI, and won 3 out of 4....

And a "Action Reset" option would be cool.
I'd like to be able to reset my current action (errors in migration...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the level 3 AI isn't available now, will be enabled in a future update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am absolutely new to Dominant Species, having never played before buying the app.

I've played three games against 5 AI opponents. My first game, playing as arachnids, I won with about 140 points (second place about 100). My second game, playing as mammals, I won with 200 points or so (second place about 90). Third game, playing as insects, I won 271, with second place having 80 points.

These numbers are huge. Is this comparable to the real game? Is this just because of the level of the AI. I'm wondering if the first level of AI might be too easy if by my 3rd game I'm tripling up (or more) second place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of points in DS!

Around and above 200, you're in contention for the win...

Like I said earlier in this thread, the AI is not awesome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
not having a display of the dominance points per tile type, or dominance cards or wanderlust tiles visible rather than having to drag each one out individually.

There is somewhere you can see the dominance points but I can't remember where... it's something you have to drag down or click to open. But why they couldn't superimpose the tile values when it's time to claim dominance, I don't know. That would be very nice.

ldsdbomber wrote:

An UNDO button would have been very nice

Very nice or perhaps essential?

ldsdbomber wrote:

Maybe I didn't see it but sometimes it was tricky to track what the AI had just done, or to go back and see a log of the moves made.

Yes, a history would have been crucial. I also missed what the AI did several times. Which was compounded by the fact that it wasn't necessarily a good move and thus wasn't easy to figure out.

ldsdbomber wrote:
looking forward to it being properly networked

This is my number one wish! Otherwise this is a wasted purchase for me. Bad AI + no multiplayer = BAD APP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Kermit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is currently my favourite boardgame in our group. I love it. For me it has just the right balance of game elements. Lots of worker-placement strategy (like Agricola), distribution and "fighting" like Shogun, then the dominance cards give a good hit of chance and game changing. For me, once you're behind in Shogun, it can be game over. DS makes me feel I can turn it 'round with some good plays

I had a quick 4-player game on the app. I won by miles on easier level, so will play again at higher tonight. Mostly very slick....though I did find like others have said a little quick for scores to go by and not know what happened. Also...is everyone sure the tundra bonus is getting added at the end of the rounds? I assume it will be.....but everything happens a bit quick on clean-up

In general though.......well worth £2.99 ! I just wish I could afford the 53 to get the cardboard version :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are working on making the level 2 AI tougher, as well as creating a level 3AI. I am working on creating two separate tutorials - one for teaching the game and one for teaching the UI. And we have the Undo feature on the To Do list.

We are dedicated to an ongoing program of excellence. I'm listening and taking notes. Keep talking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Outlaw Josey Wales
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app!
Since someone is taking notes, my wishlist would be:
1. AI Level 3
2. Asynchronous online multi-player.
3. A way to "undo" or verify actions during the Planning Phase.
4. A game-log or history that lets you see what opponents did in case you missed it.
5. Live action video of competition action (species battling).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pitferret wrote:
I'm listening and taking notes. Keep talking!

Multiplayer!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was going to hold off until it had asynch multi-player and smarter AI players, but I decided to go ahead and pay now in hopes these get added.

My initial impression is, you did a great job!

As others have suggested;
1. I'd really like to have a game log or have the other player actions execute much more slowly (both would be good). It was nice that all the AI players went so quickly...but it happens too fast for me to see everything they did (playing on iPad 2).

2. The "you need to do something" text should be more obvious. Someone mentioned a popup, and I think that's a good way to handle it.

3. Popups should be movable...right now they sometimes block the portion of the game board I need to see to decide what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
How do you save an in-process game? I see a Resume option, but not a save option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
How do you save an in-process game? I see a Resume option, but not a save option.

I believe the app auto-saves; then when you quit using the home button, the game can be resumed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
CAMRAI wrote:
ron42na wrote:

I believe the app auto-saves; then when you quit using the home button, the game can be resumed.

Yup, this works for me and is typical of most apps as apps essentially suspend in the background under iOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early impressions after two games.

I do not own the board game and have never played DS.

The tutorial is of little use. After viewing it I had no idea how to play the game. However, after some research on BGG I found the Tactical Cheat Sheet here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/595622/tactical-rationale-fo... which I found vey useful.

I played a 2 player game versus the level 1 and then the level 2 AIs and won them both by 100 points.

I know the developer is committed to developing the game but clearly the AI needs beefing up.

I would also echo other posts that an undo would be nice.

Overall, a very enjoyable version 1. I am going to try a 4 player game versus the AI to see if this offers a better challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
wgerken wrote:
CAMRAI wrote:
ron42na wrote:

Yup, this works for me and is typical of most apps as apps essentially suspend in the background under iOS.

Hmm...that's not working for me. Do you have to take an action to start auto save? I tried using the quit option, but after I did that (and it brought me back to the start screen), the Resume option was still gray'd out. I tried both a regular and a network game and had the same response both times.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good the companies bring the people so many reasons to not buy their boardgames.

I suppose the price somewhat relate to the production cost but in two years or so I wonder whatever it really make much sense to buy a physical copy at all considering everyone will have tablets and you could play that way.

Definitely the future I suppose.

Just think about how it would be if everyone had like 18" tablets for their player board. No problem sitter four people together that way either.

As long as it's iOS only that's not an alternative though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
wgerken wrote:
CAMRAI wrote:
ron42na wrote:

Hmm...that's not working for me. Do you have to take an action to start auto save? I tried using the quit option, but after I did that (and it brought me back to the start screen), the Resume option was still gray'd out. I tried both a regular and a network game and had the same response both times.

Any ideas?

Don't use the quit option. Just exit using the iPad home button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.