Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find it amusing when those in the US complain about the prices of games on the 'Geek - especially large ones like Descent. US$79.95 right? Well, it just arrived in Australia and the price is 160 Australian dollars. That's US$110. Ouch.

It ain't cheap being a game addict Down Under ... first the first time in quite a while, I'm going to be strong and wait for a while until I buy - at least until I've finished painting the Doom figures, anyway ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Shop around more. Milsims has Descent for AUS$128. Games are generally more expensive around here, but it isn't quite that expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, blow me down with a flame thrower - and they can ship it to Sydney for $5.50 - that's astounding. Thankyou, I retract my post in surprise. Still US$97.50 in total, but better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does that mean your going to get it travis *rubs hands together*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you guys weren't in Queensland we could get a game happening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Whatev., you get to live in Australia! Australia has 4 cities in the top 10 cities ranked by the EIU as the best places to live on the planet. Here's an article as evidence, so you don't think I'm pulling this out of my butt: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4306936.stm

We Americans get many things cheap, true, but most of our cities are stinking pissholes. And we're all fat. So while you may be poor, you Australians will be outliving us to play many more games in your old age!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swift
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
128 AUD = 80 EUR
Descent is 79 EUR here in Finland..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhaego wrote:
We Americans get many things cheap, true, but most of our cities are stinking pissholes. And we're all fat. So while you may be poor, you Australians will be outliving us to play many more games in your old age!

Ha ha! Well, I've seen a bit of the US, and perhaps 'stinking pissholes' is taking it a bit far! And, unfortunately, we're catching up to you in the fat department; I think Australia was recently also rated in the top 5 of obese populations in the world! Too much junk food everywhere - I certainly did notice how hard it is to find healthy food while in the States I must admit.

Anyway, it appears we're getting off topic ... now I must gather the strength to endure another day grappling with my conscience and NOT BUY DESCENT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tall
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My store was thinking about it, but the fact that we have to pay something like $60US on top of the cost for each figure ordered was a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam! Where's your store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Why don't y'all just order through FFG? Is the shipping that bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, a huge and heavy box shipped half way around the world? You bet. I think it was about US$60 or something equally insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tall
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
AdamT wrote:
My store was thinking about it, but the fact that we have to pay something like $60US on top of the cost for each figure ordered was a bit much.

WHAT????!!!

Yeah, it does include a demo copy of the game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
myopia wrote:
Does that mean your going to get it travis *rubs hands together*

If I was going to get it, I'd be quoting David's price, wouldn't I? (Assuming he can get it in.)

No, I wasn't planning to get it any time soon. There are other games which are a higher priority right now. Remember, there are certain games that have to be replaced.

I might consider picking up Fury of Dracula, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider timewellspent.com for mail-order.

1) Timewellspent is marginally cheaper than Thoughthammer IME.
2) Timewellspent will ship to to Australia via a slower (4-6 weeks, expect 2 months to be pleasantly surprised) and less expensive method. Buying 17 pounds of games priced at US$130 S&H adds 37% to the cost. Descent costs US$68 delivered (eventually ) to Australia.

However...

A) Timewellspent is currently out of stock of Descent.
B) Timewellspent has just stopped accepting international orders until after Christmas.

So maybe next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zz huang
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
UniversalHead wrote:
Eric, a huge and heavy box shipped half way around the world? You bet. I think it was about US$60 or something equally insane.

If you consider the fact that the game was manufactured in China, but they had to ship it to the US before it gets shipped back to our neighbourhood........... and my local retailer has yet to receive the shipment.. urghh.. I'm dying here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:

No, I wasn't planning to get it any time soon. There are other games which are a higher priority right now. Remember, there are certain games that have to be replaced.

I might consider picking up Fury of Dracula, though.

You've lost me. Is that reprinted rather than replaced?

I was checking out fury of dracula as well but with the wedding less than a year away the financial realities are starting to become apparent. I got a bunch of games from the millsims sale as a birthday present and they are going to have to keep me going for a while.

Besides after arkham horror there are no ffg games for me until after they come out and generate some decent reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine for $110 Aus. from Milsims in Melbourne (game club discount included). Given what's inside, that seems almost a steal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a bundle of games arrive from Germany - on average their cost (landed) was 43% cheaper than the Australian WHOLESALE price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
Shop around more. Milsims has Descent for AUS$128. Games are generally more expensive around here, but it isn't quite that expensive.

$5.50 freight from Milsims. Plus game clubs get an extra 10% off. Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
In other news, does anyone know of any aussie retailers who plan to do the world of warcraft promotion deal?

Yes. Milsims will be doing the promo. WoW will be $125 with 10% off for preorders PLUS you get the bonuses. I think I'll be ordering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I caved and bought Descent full price locally. FYI, Peter at Mindgames matched Milsims price (no extra 10% gameclub discount though).

I paid $128.

Also pre-ordered WoW from Milsims. $110 plus all the freebies of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the website at www.milsims.com.au

Well, my problem is solved - my girlfriend gave Descent to me for Xmas! Yay! I'm such a geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.