Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some odd reason I'm having a hard time understanding this ability. Does it mean that Lily gets 2 cheese every time she enters a brand new tile? I guess the word "previously" is throwing me off. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob atkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
the rulebook says each tile has two sides, so i think she would only get a new cheese whenever you move onto another unexplored tile, not when flipping a tile.

my question about her is does she get two cheese whenever she starts a chapter, as the tile is an unexplored one and she is entering it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be right. Why have the word previously if you also have the word unexplored? Maybe it means when she enters a tile for the very first time. So if she happens to go back to tile she was on earlier she doesn't get any more cheese. I dunno. As far as your question goes, I would assume she would get cheese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like in instances where the mice clear one of the tunnels tiles and explore into the kitchen. Once finished in the kitchen, if they drop back down into that same tunnel tile, it has already been explored, therefor she would not add more cheese. (Aka: it is now previously explored.) As soon as she and the party move out of that, if you are in a previously UNexplored tile, she would get the cheese.

I imagine "previously unexplored" is easier to put on the card than "if this is the first time Lily has entered this tile this Chapter" or "new tile", since new tile can bring up more quesitons regarding "well it is new because we were just in something else...so this is the new tile"

Also, having a "previously unexplored" tile means you have not moved on from the tile previously. If they were to have said "unexplored" tile, it could bring up confusion with people saying "well, I am in this tile for the second time, but we have not explored out of it the second time, so that means it is unexplored"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
varoan wrote:
the rulebook says each tile has two sides, so i think she would only get a new cheese whenever you move onto another unexplored tile, not when flipping a tile.

my question about her is does she get two cheese whenever she starts a chapter, as the tile is an unexplored one and she is entering it?

I don't know this for certain, but I believe your assumption is correct. A tile is a tile, a room is a room. I would think if she got 2 cheese every previously unexplored room, she would most likely still amass a ton of cheese. Say there are 3 tiles used and both sides are explored during a given chapter, thats 6 rooms - 12 cheese. If she didn't have any stolen, given away, or used for abilities, she could get 2 new abilities every chapter with that many rooms and that is without rolling for cheese in attacks or defense.

However, I could be wrong, but again I believe your assumption to be accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting tile doesn't count as Lily has to enter the tile for it to be newly explored.

And believe me, her ability isn't overpowered - it's perfect. You use the cheese for a lot of stuff during the course of a chapter, even giving some from one character to another.

Lily, Collin, and Maginos tend to build cheese faster than the others because their cheese gaining abilities are easier to pull off, but what ends up happening is either they use the cheese for other abilities so that the mice survive, or they share the cheese so the party is better prepared for whatever they face.

Nez is an absolute powerhouse when used the right way, but he's terrible at gaining cheese, so he almost always needs help in that area, but his abilities that the cheese can power are so cool that you'll have no worry at all about giving up one mouse's cheese to power him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is a tile a side, or is a tile a double sided tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, but I'm fairly sure the rules do define that so that there won't be an issue.

Though I think it's side since each side is a separate area, it's just one is below the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTBAM wrote:
Tile refers to one side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
BTBAM wrote:
Tile refers to one side.

Nice. Lily is a cheese exploring machine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob atkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
nobeerblues wrote:
BTBAM wrote:
Tile refers to one side.

very nice, so 10 cheese if you have 3 tiles. this easily beats out any of the other mice who have a cheese gaining ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
varoan wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
BTBAM wrote:
Tile refers to one side.

very nice, so 10 cheese if you have 3 tiles. this easily beats out any of the other mice who have a cheese gaining ability.

Wouldn't it be 12 cheese?

EDIT: I forgot. The first tile doesn't count right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She doesn't get cheese on the first tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Her cheese ability does seem like the best one, but remember that ranged dice hit only 1/3 of the time versus melee which hit 1/2 of the time. As a pure ranged character this is a disadvantage, except on boards like the sewer. The great cheese ability balances this. Note Nez who has the best starting attack, 4 melee dice usually, but is the only mouse with no extra cheese ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add in that many of the good archer abilities use 1 cheese per use and it's easy to see why Lily might be a bit more prone to getting more cheese than most. She's absolutely awesome when she's going full tilt.

And Nez actually starts with 5 dice since his starting equipment includes his hammer which gives a +1 to his attack. He's a beast and maybe my favorite character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Lane wrote:
Add in that many of the good archer abilities use 1 cheese per use and it's easy to see why Lily might be a bit more prone to getting more cheese than most. She's absolutely awesome when she's going full tilt.

And Nez actually starts with 5 dice since his starting equipment includes his hammer which gives a +1 to his attack. He's a beast and maybe my favorite character.

Actually Nez, has two battle and +2 from his hammer for 4, but yes he seems like he would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, Lily gets 2 cheese for entering a new tile even if she is not the mouse who executed the "explore" action? Or does Lily have to be the one to explore in order to collect the cheese?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lily doesn't have to be the mouse leading the way to get the cheese
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think Filch's is a little better. He almost always gets at least 2 cheese per tile from taking out minions, and often gets more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us Lily has the enchanted bow. She easily beats Filch, but he is defiantly in 2nd place. A lot depends on your weapons. But anyway Lily is great! So is Filch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bow's limitation of only hitting on ranged symbols is pretty huge. Filch is definitely the most interesting, if not the most powerful mouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In cheese generation it is how many dice you roll. With the enchanted bow Lily can get a second shot about 43% of the time, giving her on average dice per shot of 4.3 dice. If she spends 1 cheese to boost her roll to 4 dice base, then she gets a second shot 52% of the time giving her 5.6 dice on average. If she spends 3 cheese she can boost her roll to 5 dice base, then she gets a second shot 60% of the time giving her 6.8 dice on average.

Filch gets 3 dice for an attack with either the Ring of Cat Strength or the rapier. If he spends two cheese then he gets a second attack and 6 dice.

In general the cheese output is about the same, so the question is does Filch kill the 8-10 minions that he needs to catch Lily, my experience is no, but that might be bad luck. I will concede that they are close.

Anyway, if I get to choose two mice to take on a mission, I will always choose Filch and Lily. They are both awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
The bow's limitation of only hitting on ranged symbols is pretty huge. Filch is definitely the most interesting, if not the most powerful mouse.

Filch is absolutely cool, right up until you run into a centipede or a spider - then Nez is your guy.

But really, I like all of them. Collin does the most stuff to benefit the whole party and he does it from the front lines. Tilda keeps everybody up and running and can turn into a powerhouse when the chips are down. Maginos does all of the coolest big things (including being able to use the Cheddar Golem scroll). Filch is the absolute best at doing things to prevent surges. Lily's archer abilities don't seem all that great, until they start tearing things up before the bad guy even gets close enough to hurt anything. And Nez is just a mean old thumper that rocks against the big bads.

I've had plenty of fun playing each and every mouse and wouldn't turn down any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.