BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I just got Railroad Tycoon - All I can say is WOW!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I just got my copy; this thing is amazing folks.

It is the most stunning train game I have ever seen, the box is HEAVY.

It reminds me of a model train set.

I am going to try to play it tomorrow and test out the actual game engine.

My senses tell me I won't be dissapointed.

redtraingreentrainbluetrainyellowtrainblacktrainredtraingreentrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you're right! I remember thinking very similar thoughts about Sid Meier's Civ The Boardgame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw it today at my local game store. Huge map and a box that weighs slightly over 2 tons. I think the railroad game folks are going to be rather happy with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, have the same feelings. Will wait for about 6 month and then see, where the ratings are. EG did some "jobs" on older games so, even if I am interested in this game, it will have to wait.

"Better wait than waste your money" is sadly a theme I put on the Eagle Games. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
The reviews out of BGG.Con were pretty favorable, if that helps.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look nice but I've recently got Age of Steam which I'm more than happy with... I too have a slight bad taste in my mouth since buying SM Civ in my pre-BGG life

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this at BGG.CON and I can honestly say I think this is a new start, so to speak, for Eagle Games, following close on the heals of Conquest of the Empire, which is in my personal Top 10 (Martin Wallace Rules). This game is solid too and fun to play and I may end up liking it even better after more play. Good challenge and beautiful, large board and cards included. Gotta love a good o'l fashioned train game.

Eagle Games for me has always had the "guts", so to speak, to tackle the big computer theme games (Sid Meir and AoM) and I have enjoyed their productions very much. I have had to tweak a few things to make them play better, but think about if they hadn't produced these great games!! Thank you again, Eagle Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Components wise the game looks very much like Conquest of the Empire. Big map and lots of pieces. I'm usually of the mind that I'll try most things once. As a rule for example I don't like auction games and then I tried Ra and loved it. So while I won't pick this one up next time I'm at my LFGS I will definately join in a game if someone breaks ot out next game night simply to see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The good news is that it is worth getting. The bad news is that its a development of the AoS system. It is slightly simpler and a lot quicker to play, and demonstrates that the AoS idea wasn't quite perfect in all particulars, like the box is serious coal-dust grey and not rosé. Whether RT is perfect is another question. The bigger map with a larger number of cities than found on AoS maps may be welcome. The "Eagle" nature of the game is less extreme than usual, but most of the large brown plastic "empty city" markers are very big, except for the crossing marker which is insignificant. Problems with the event cards probably disappear as experience levels rise with repeated play, and there's likely to be some of this. We're playing game 3 tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I like about the giant Eagle games like Conquest of the Empire and Railroad Tycoon...no need for expansions. Nowhere to expand!! COTE2 is a real improvement in gameplay and quality from Struggle of Empires, even though I enjoyed that one immensely...and with RRT, which is based on Age of Steam, the map is large enough to accommodate play in several areas of the country. PRO: no need for multiple expansions to add interest, CON: larger map needs a bigger table, less portable.

If you really like Age of Steam, I don't see why you couldn't buy RRT and implement some of the AoS rules if you really wanted the added complexity. Granted, you're talking a lot of money to buy both, but I guess an AoS fan wouldn't mind having two games considering the number and price of all the AoS expansions. Might even come out cheaper in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this is tough. I've looked forward to this game for months, but color problems, warped boards, rising price just as it's released, great reviews from geeks, scepticism from AoS fans. What's a geek to do? I love AoS and 1830, but neither hits the table with any regularity (They all want to play Ticket to Ride).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus de Bassus wrote:
Man, this is tough. I've looked forward to this game for months, but color problems, warped boards, rising price just as it's released, great reviews from geeks, scepticism from AoS fans. What's a geek to do? I love AoS and 1830, but neither hits the table with any regularity (They all want to play Ticket to Ride).

Buy it, play it a few times. If you don't like it, sell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it last night. I've also played Age of Steam. This is a great game. I think it's probably better than Age of Steam for all but the ultra hardcore gamer. Railroad Tycoon takes the Age of Steam system and opens it up. The end result is that Railroad Tycoon is more about optimization whereas Age of Steam is a struggle to just stay alive and get out of debt. I had a great time playing it.

As far as the production problems, the blue versus purple thing is not a big deal. Purple looks violet and blue looks indigo. They're easy enough to tell apart although admittedly not perfect. The boards may have been very slightly warped but it didn't interfere with the game experience. The only thing I wish they would have added is some clips to attach the board segments together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could anyone tell me what shape this box is? Is it the shape of the old Eagle Large box (Napoleon in Europe, ACW, War!, and Sid Meier), the newer smaller box (used for AoM and the Attack! games), or some other size/shape?

Thanks,

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
I hope you're right! I remember thinking very similar thoughts about Sid Meier's Civ The Boardgame...

It's better than Civ the Boardgame....

It's OK, not great. It's Age of Steam on freakin' HUGE map with most of the difficult decisions removed and a lot of very random elements added. (Example: I only lost by 2 points because there was a 20 pt. card for connecting New York to Kansas City that was drawn and I was the only player who could reasonably make that connection. 20 pts!)

I only played with 3 players, but RT should be a better game for 6 than AOS, mainly because of the large map. For that purpose it may have a use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm just starting to get into AoS after playing some other great Wallace titles. This thread started getting me nervous about AoS being left in the dust...

But, it seems that AoS is more of a gamer's game. That's good. I've been looking for a heavier railroad game after playing Ticket to Ride and Sante Fe Rails.

AoS is still alive!

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Slamming Glenn Drover is about as rewarding as playing a funeral dirge to Flipper. The man remains, in a word, “undaunted”. I hate to admit it, but that’s awfully, damn cool. So long as his apparently substantial financial resources remain intact, the man appears destined to drag America back into the limelight of strategy gaming.

This is what I said, back in 2003, in a review of Age of Mythology.

And with RRT, it looks as if it could come true.

It's a well-known truism in game design - "Don't reinvent the wheel."

Glenn didn't with Conquest of the Empire, and he didn't with Railroad Tycoon. He went to Martin Wallace, and filled Martin's head with visions of eye-candy gracing his Struggle of Empires design, and his Age of Steam design.

And I think both of them are going to like the results - both financially, and from what the gamers say.

So, the only thing I can think about now is what Tempus or Way Out West is going to look like, with eight pounds of eye-candy in an huge box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:

"Better wait than waste your money" is sadly a theme I put on the Eagle Games. cry

After the mess that is "Bootleggers" I too have developed this opinion of Eagle Games. Given that they have picked up some good titles from other designers that opinion might start to change.

The question here is: If I own and enjoy Age of Steam, will this be a purchase I'll actually play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a big rectangular box.

Jasonofindy wrote:
Could anyone tell me what shape this box is? Is it the shape of the old Eagle Large box (Napoleon in Europe, ACW, War!, and Sid Meier), the newer smaller box (used for AoM and the Attack! games), or some other size/shape?

Thanks,

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:

That's not very helpful. I can see that much from the pictures. I was specifically wondering if it was indeed the same size as one of their two earlier "big rectangular box" sizes or was an entirely new size altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jasonofindy wrote:
robartin wrote:

That's not very helpful. I can see that much from the pictures. I was specifically wondering if it was indeed the same size as one of their two earlier "big rectangular box" sizes or was an entirely new size altogether.

Jason... it's the same size as Conquest and Civilization. Weighs about what Conquest of the Empire does. The map size is the same as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Mr. Tripp. I'm not concerned much with the weight but was wondering what I would need to move/shift around/trade away to get it to fit in with the other games in my shelving units. It is not really that big of a deal, but I was curious if it would fit on the shelf with Attack , AOM and the 2000-2001 AH titles or if it had to be squeezed onto the bigger shelf with the older Eagle titles NiE, Civ, and ACW.

P.S. I look forward to your next column on Gone Gaming

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:

After the mess that is "Bootleggers" I too have developed this opinion of Eagle Games. Given that they have picked up some good titles from other designers that opinion might start to change.

The question here is: If I own and enjoy Age of Steam, will this be a purchase I'll actually play?

You will actually play it, Kevin. The bits are awesome, the artwork gorgeous, the gameplay well paced and fully developed for its market. When the game is halfway through, you will marvel at the panorama. The layout takes more space than my N/Nn3 dual gauge railroad! It is not a 'gamer's game' but more accessible, as dictated by the market. Kudos to Glenn Drover for making this available as more than an 80 unit numbered print run at Essen!

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.