Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making an effort to get this back to the table. It's one of my favorite games but I haven't played it much beyond the first couple months it was released.

My group usually has between 3-5 players show up and I'm hesitant to try the mercenary SAGS mode as it breaks the theme for me. I've pretty much decided I don't have a choice and want to play this next time we have 3 show up.

Any suggestions on shortening SAGS? Something like me just pre-building the map randomly before hand? Any pre-generated maps out there or maybe an auto-generator? Game would be quick if everything was setup prior to people arriving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Castrequini
Brazil
Valinhos
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about to play 3/4 player's scenario?

http://forum.earthreborn.ludically.com/viewforum.php?f=5

If you like playing with full rules, I guess you could play almost every scenario using full rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good suggestion but one of our members doesn't like it as a team game due to the bidding and a couple other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Pre-build the map without choosing sides. As long as you don't know which site you'll play, there is not much advantage to be gained from choosing the chambers or the doors. Just build a map that seems funny to you.
2. Distribute the characters randomly. No choosing: you have to play with what you get. Take care however that you have two player norad, two player salemite.
2. Prepare four stacks of equipment randomly, but sorted: 2 piles for Norad equipment, 2 piles for Salemite. In the choosing equipment phase: every player chooses a pile, turns it to the right side, choose an equipment en pass the pile to the next player. Until everybody has one equipment per character.
3. Distribute the missions randomly.
4. Prepare also the right setup: CP are distributed, order tokens are ready distributed, ...
5. Normally a SAGS game takes 6 turns. Just play five.
6. If the players like to stall: put a timer in play. You can think for max 1 minute (or less) and then your move has to start.

This way, your play will last for two hours to three hours (and half hour preparation time from you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice suggestions Peter. I'll float that by the others and see what they think. I don't mind time spent prepping before people get there, we just have limited time when they arrive to play.

I also think the actual game length is fine, it's just setup for SAGS which is bothering me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Z
Germany
Holzminden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using a sandglass or an countdown timer to limit the time for planing?!? This way, it even gives the whole gameplay nice tension and simulates time pressure of a hard skirmish. While one player is doing his turn, the other support him by changing tiles etc.
Having a short rule sheet (you can find some good ones on the geeksite) will also speed the whole process up.

If the gametime still seems to be too long ... choose another game!

For every big pleasure there should be a good amount of time to enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.