Fraser Simons
msg tools
My brother just started his kickstarter for this game I hope I am posting this in the correct spot and I hope some of you have some interest in this, Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858774754/magicians-a-l...

A modern fantasy RPG set in Seoul designed to both tell a great story and motivate, facilitate the learning of another language.

"Magicians started out as a classroom roleplaying game after-school activity at the academy I taught at a few years ago in Korea. I had just finished reading The Magicians, by Lev Grossman, and loved the idea of a person's unhappiness dissatisfaction with the world being the source of their magic. So I came up with the better part of the game, but for teaching English and for some kids I knew had trouble with bullying at school. The kids made up characters, chose their name and we came up with a high school together via world building. The core of the game was largely the same - I gave them points for telling me stories about their character's troubles in school and then they used those points to fight monsters and do cool stuff.

I always wanted to make a version for Korean and other languages but I always ran into the roadblock of needing someone who was proficient in Korean to mentor, mediate or arbitrate the language learning - until I got a smartphone and started using it for dictation. I came up with the idea to use the dictation app to check for pronunciation and to determine success or failure as a resolution mechanic. The rest is a lot of playtesting, tons of hard work and all of my savings going into initial artwork and editing.

I'm currently majoring in Korean Education (specifically teaching Korean to non-native speakers) and this roleplaying game is going to be the basis for my thesis. I'm working with industry veterans like Daniel Solis and Ryan Macklin precisely so I can do this game justice and so that you, the backer, know that quality is important to me and this project. This has been a labor of love of mine for a long time and with your help I can actually get it out there!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Simons
msg tools
Re: Magicians: A Language Learning RPG
here's a podcast about the game from the guys at Sharkbone as well

http://sharkbonegames.com/sharkbonecast/2012/10/chum14-magic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Now this is an interesting idea. I'll check out the KS page when i have more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Simons
msg tools
Thanks so much for checking it out Eric!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Simons
msg tools
MOTHDevil wrote:

Now this is an interesting idea. I'll check out the KS page when i have more time.

The new stretch goal is for the community to create a part of the game!

I'm really excited about the $10,000 stretch goal. This is a big one for me because it will mean that I won't have to put anymore of my own money into the game at all. Not to mention it's just an amazing sum of money that I never expected to hit. You guys continue to blow my mind everyday. So, in celebration, I'm going to YOU guys to come up with an adventure for all of us. Give me your game session pitches and then we'll vote on them! Once we select the most popular pitch, I'll make a survey where everyone can submit 3 cards (1 object/challenge/location, 1 person/faction/organization and 1 threat/villain/monster). Once everyone submits their choices for the cards I'll get them illustrated and out to all of you to play.

I am really excited for this goal and I'm going to try to have it ready for public playtesting so everyone who wants to participate when I release the playtest will be able to playtest it with an adventure made by the Magicians community!

So! What's YOUR pitch? Remember to keep it short! One sentence or two at most. It should be cool enough that people will want to jump in and play, but vague enough to allow for tons of possibilities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Simons
msg tools
MOTHDevil wrote:

He has added support for Japanese as a stretch goal now

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858774754/magicians-a-l...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.