Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Y-Wing Mod (WIP) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Been working on Modding up some of my ships - starting with a Gold Squadron Y-Wing.

Removed the R4 and added an R2 dome.

But, what I really need opinions on, is the turret. Any issues with it (aside from not being painted)? Too big? Too wide? etc.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks too tall to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's huge. There are turrets already on the ship, so I'm not sure why everyone who mods a Y-Wing feels they need to add even bigger ones.

Otherwise, the model looks good

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both - I appreciate the feedback. It felt a miniscule as I made it. Then when I mounted it, it just looked way too big.

I think part of the reason is that the turret sculpted on the ship looks almost indistinguishable from piping.

Maybe just raising that area a little with some putty, then adding the same sort of imprint on top would be enough.

I was basing mine somewhat off of this model:

and this model is one of those 1/2 studio replicas:

They each have a turret that sits a bit above the cockpit.

Compared to the base Y-Wing model in the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the Y-Wing being one of my favorites, I didn't even notice those little lines were supposed to be a turret.

For yours I'd make the base a week bit smaller, and around half as tall. Maybe use wire/paperclips for the canons bulked up slightly with putty.

You could sink a pin too and then use a small magnet as the base, then build it up with putty to stick the canons on. Then you can swivel it for fun during combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just pick out the cannon that's already on the model with some paint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
You could sink a pin too and then use a small magnet as the base, then build it up with putty to stick the canons on. Then you can swivel it for fun during combat.

I'm guessing that you are joking, but it had crossed my mind. That little turret can actually rotate on the pin at the moment

Good call on the smaller gauge wire, I think this one looks much better:

(I apologize for the horrendous glare - you can get a slightly better look at original size)

This one is closer to the studio style models. About the right length, and barrels are the same diameter as the nose cannons. Just needs a little more putty on top.

Was about 10 times quicker to do too

BradyLS wrote:
Why not just pick out the cannon that's already on the model with some paint?

Picking it out with some paint only yielded what looked like exposed piping of some sort. It just didn't have a 3D feel.

I know it is rather silly, and I doubt anyone would notice even. But, I figured if I could find a relatively quick and painless method, I may as well add them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniper Deniper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That one looks good
The scaling is much closer to the images of the models you posted.

Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
I'm guessing that you are joking, but it had crossed my mind.

Oh heck no, I have an unearthly attraction to rare Earth magnets...

I can't wait to get my fleet on bases modified with magnets for fun posturing during the game (and for eventual elevation homebrew rules). I wasn't planning on making a turret for the Y-Wing, but after seeing your new pic, maybe!

It looks pretty sweet now. If you already have a pin in there, no need for a magnet I guess for swiveling purposes. I was thinking of a magnet for swapping out future turret types but if it's on a pin a magnet setup would probably be overkill at this point.

Anyway, can't wait to see it painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bear cat
msg tools
The Y-Wing is looking good, can't wait to see it finished. The base FF Y-wing is the BTL-A4 Y-wing which doesn't have a turret and also is only a one seater. the one with the turret is the BTL-S3 which is also a two seater, one which is for the gunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.