Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the rehash. I've seen these in the past but never had a need to pay attention. After having recently moved, I find myself needing some shelves. They have to pass the non-gamer wife visual appeal test. They don't have be fancy, but have to look decent enough to have in the media room.

As a baseline, I see this on IKEA: /us/en/catalog/products/S49897983/

I don't like the change in width, and also hoping for something cheaper. But something along those lines. I.e. no wire shelves or anything like that. Mainly because I have a couple similar shelves and the new ones (I'm thinking getting a pair) would need to blend. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed a couple of Ikea Kilby bookcases (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40068154/) when I was broke and I planned on just throwing them away when I moved since they were absurdly cheap ($25). However they are still looking great and we had movers so I didn't see any reason to waste them and they are still working great in my new place.

They aren't the most beautiful but they look nice enough. The biggest visual defect is that the screws that hold it together are visible from the side. The other thing is the gray backing but if your shelf is full than that's not an issue at all.

They don't show any signs of wear other than a slight amount of bowing on some of the shelfs that have really heavy games on them. If you want me to I can take a couple of pictures of the shelves fully loaded up.

The only thing that may not be good is that large square box games stick out from the shelf a couple of inches. All of the standard Euro size boxes fit perfectly however and even large boxes like War of the Ring and Power Grid will fit if you adjust some of the shelves (I have the bottom shelf on one of them moved up a notch or two for these games and put small box games above as the middle shelf is not adjustable.

In any case another very similar but nicer and more expensive option is the Billy bookcase. It costs 3 times as much but it's a bit classier as the backing is the same veneer as the rest of the shelf and the screws aren't visible. Also all of the shelves are adjustable. Otherwise they are very similar (Billy is just slightly bigger).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's crazy cheap. I wonder why I couldn't find those when I was browsing. Thanks. Now to try to get wife approval...

Edit: Only 9.5" deep. That's a little shallow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Wow, that's crazy cheap. I wonder why I couldn't find those when I was browsing. Thanks. Now to try to get wife approval...

Edit: Only 9.5" deep. That's a little shallow...

Yah, like I said big square box games will stick out a couple of inches from the shelf (FFG, stronghold games), everything else fits great. Personally I don't find it to be a large issue (especially considering the price point) but ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billy (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10208472/#/902084...) and Expedit (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10196431/#/101030...) are both popular IKEA ranges.

Spend some time browsing around the IKEA site - stuff can be hard to find on there, even when you know what you're looking for - but their product range is huge and covers a wide range of prices.

Oh, and they use the terms 'shelving units' and 'bookcases' pretty interchangeably, afaict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, even more I didn't find! Great stuff. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the BESTÅ shelves from Ikea. The 15 3/4 inch depth fits standard box sizes almost perfectly.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40102129/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I use the BESTÅ shelves from Ikea. The 15 3/4 inch depth fits standard box sizes almost perfectly.

We use those in Sweden, too. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I continue to be flabbergasted at what was there that I could not find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
sfox wrote:

We use those in Sweden, too. :-)

I might just have to replace my cheapo Kilbys with a pair of those when I have some extra money. The extra depth would be nice for those big boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Roll those dice you lazy bastard!
badge
Ha gotcha!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently moved myself, I went for the Expedit range. Will really recomend Expedit. They are deeper than most book shelves, so game boxes fit perfectly!

I went for two of these:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00208646/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billy is clearly the best Ikea stuff. Besta is much narrower, and Expedit has a bunch of small spaces instead of the freedom Billy gives, and it has the huge outside border, wasting space.

Don't be afraid to check Walmart, I've found Billy quality and size there for less than half the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
La Donn Wittenburg
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the same 15" billy shelves. Works perfect for most boxes only a few that stick out. Have 6 in the boardgame room and have never looked back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sarahb
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you're only interested in IKEA stuff, but we've been very pleased with these from the Container Store: Stacking Shelves.

They're sturdy enough that the shelves don't bow under the weight of games, and since they fold up, they're very easy to move. We have a set of 6- three across and two high. They hold our complete collection, and pretty much disappear under the games (which I like).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Ivar shelving. This is just a reference point because it won't match with your standard style shelves.

It isn't pretty, but you can get it in 18" depth. This means that pretty much all the game boxes, even long ones can be stored end-on. Another advantage is that they go up to 89" high. I ended up with a bookcase comprised of two wide sections and two of the narrower sections. I can adjust the shelves individually depending on game size, so there isn't a lot of wasted space.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/liv...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in no way shape or form only interested in IKEA stuff.

The last two suggestions do not pass the wife test. If it were up to me, I would be inclined toward the Ivar stuff, for the reasons mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

This is where it's at. The shelves are built in such a way that I've frequently wondered if they weren't straight up designed FOR board games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently saving up to get a combination of Billy (two of the 39cm deep by 80cm wide one), Besta (various), and some wall shelves (19cm deep).

The Billys I'm going to fit with the half-height doors, and am currently thinking one for books, one for games, in the top halves only (bottom halves will have stuff I want stored away out of sight).

The Bestas are also big enough for games, so some less-played games may get shifted to them, and will mostly also feature doors, but will also make up a 'TV bench', some 'CD storage', and a 'display cabinet' for my painted miniatures (the Besta is really good in this regard, 'cos there are so many different 'frame' sizes, and so many different types of doors, and shelving, and other interior stuff, making it really flexible).

And then the wall shelves will be for odds and ends, and so on.

Oh, and a new desk for painting at, and an under-desk drawer unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put a 4x4 unit of EXPEDIT on my Christmas list... How many games will that hold? Will my Power Grid box stand upright? It already looks like Tikal will stick out a couple of inches...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Expedit shelves! I got mine because I liked the look, and was pleasantly surprised to find that board games fit in them so well.

Otomakan wrote:
I just put a 4x4 unit of EXPEDIT on my Christmas list... How many games will that hold? Will my Power Grid box stand upright? It already looks like Tikal will stick out a couple of inches...

One cell in an Expedit shelf will fit four boxes of "standard game height" with a tiny bit of room to spare on top, and enough space on the side for something like Glory To Rome I.V or another small item.

So your shelf will hold 64 games, give or take a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otomakan wrote:

Expedit will definetely not hold Power Grid standing upright. Expedit won't hold anything much taller than the "standard" euro box (Puerto Rico, Agricola, etc) and it is not adjustable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I ended up going with the BILLYs. At $70 for white, it's a really good deal. I'm not thrilled that they're particle board, but what are you gonna do. I have to say, though, the width is not ideal. They're significantly too wide for just two games (horizontal) on each shelf, but only wide enough for three if you're using all narrow games. So I end up doing mostly horizontal, with some vertical. I think the BESTA is a slightly better dimension (snugly fits two big-box games per shelf), but more $ per game stored. Expedit is even more per game, and slightly less space efficient with both floor space and vertical space, given all the dividers, and shorter height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaelin Helbling
United States
Doraville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Expidit and find it to be a very sturdy, very attractive solution. Most games fit just fine, and those that don't can be stored up top, assuming that isn't the majority of your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my gaming area in the basement and I use IKEA Gorm. The advantage of buying such a series is the expandability (just in case you end up with more games in the future meeple) and the availability - even after years, this series is still 'in print'.

If you have your gaming area (or game storage area) in a more frequented part of the house, I'd recommend the IKEA Ivar series, which can also be used as living room furniture. It looks a lot better than the Gorm, but is also more expensive.

And to make it clear: I'm not an employee of IKEA and don't hold any shares in that company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am another "fan" of the Gorm shelving from Ikea. iirc it comes in two depths (12" and 20"?). I have several sets of the deeper ones, which I currently have int he garage, holding tons of miniatures and miniatures accessories.
A few years ago, I was living in a studio, and used the in my bedroom area - had the TV and electronic stuff in one section, and DVS and CDs in front of games int he others.

In the living room, I have several of the five tier version of these Winsome bookcases, which I used to be able to get at Staples. http://www.amazon.com/Winsome-Wood-4-Tier-Bookshelf-Honey/dp... While the shelves aren't adjustable, they are tall enough for "bookcase" wargames (TAHGC games have an inch or two of clearance at the top) and "standard square box" games to stand on end. I put my "coffin box" games on top, or stack 2 or three on a shelf.
I also use these shorter, folding bookcases http://www.amazon.com/Winsome-Wood-Stackable-Folding-Natural... under the windows (I also use these in my classrooms).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.