A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 new questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Collins
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
1) If I have a unique character who has 1 or 2 duplicates on him, and my opponent plays a card that makes me return that character to my hand, what happens to the dup? do they also go to my hand, are they discarded, or does my dub go to my hand instead of the top card?

2)Triggered Effects: A friend asked me this question so i didnt see the exact scenario, but essentially she attacked her opponent with a deadly character, that opponent defended for a loss, he then knelt a character who killed any opposing player, he chose her deadly character to die. Does he no longer have to lose a character through deadly? Which takes effect first, the deadly claim, or the death of the character causeing the deadly?

3)Triggered Effects pt2: Again 2 friends were playing this game, one friend won an attack with a character who gains 1 power when he wins a challenge (I dont think it was through renown), meanwhile my other friend is able to steal 1 power off a character card if they lose a challenge. Friend #1's only power was the one he just gained, is that stealable? Which effect happens first, player 1 gaining the power (therefor stealable) or player 2 stealing a power (therefor failing at the claim)?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, i'm really new at the game, but i'll take a crack:
1. dupes are discarded, i believe. it's the same with any attachments on a character- if the character is no longer in play, the attachments go to discard.

2 & 3- these should both resolve the same. According to the timing structure in the FAQ in the section of interest you: 1) determine the winner, 2)Challenge result is implemented, 3)Reward for unopposed challenge is awarded, and 4) Renown is awarded.

So, the key part here is #2- challenge result is implemented. You then go to the framework action window. 1) event initiates, 2) save/cancel responses to the event, 3)Framework event resolves, 4) passives that are triggered are resolved, 5) Responses, and 6) end of action. Also, the faq states that deadly is resolved during this passive phase.

for part 1: deadly character attacks. opponent defends. claim is then resolved. if his "kneel a character who killed any opposing player" is a passive, it when now occur, if still able. if it is a response, it would be after passives.

part 2: pretty much the same. he would win the power token first, then the passives, followed by responses would occur. hence, he could steal the power just awarded.

This is how i understand how all the timing works. if that's wrong, please someone explain, i'm still learning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
ok, i'm really new at the game, but i'll take a crack:
1. dupes are discarded, i believe. it's the same with any attachments on a character- if the character is no longer in play, the attachments go to discard."

Nope -- you discard a duplicate to PREVENT your card from being returned to hand.

Core Set Rules:

"If one of your unique cards is about to be killed, discarded from play, or returned to your hand or deck, as a triggered “Response:” effect (see later), you may discard an attached duplicate to save the unique card from being killed, discarded, or returned to your hand or deck."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew is right; dupes save from going to hand.

If, however, the save is canceled or prevented (Alannys, He Calls it Thinking, or Search and Detain, etc.) then the dupes do go to the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend checking out the timing diagrams in the FAQ, available on the FFG website - the order in which things happen is answered pretty specifically in that document.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

Nope -- you discard a duplicate to PREVENT your card from being returned to hand.

Ah, thanks. You know, I had a feeling this might be the case, but then for some reason I thought it only applied to kills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Collins
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
thanks a bunch for the quick replies, I will relay this to my group, and consult the faq as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.