Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
I run game time at our church and need a contingency plan for extremely hot or rainy days. I am going to try to occasionally work in a board game for the older kids. They range from ages 8 to 11 and there are usually 5-6 of them but sometimes 4. Game time lasts 30-40 minutes. Competitive or cooperative is okay, but I should probably stay away from themes that some parents would find offensive like zombies or darker fantasy. Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at: Jungle Speed

I was thinking maybe Hoity Toity, but with 6 players you won't finish in 40 minutes unless everyone knows exactly how to play and keeps the game moving quickly. (It's great with 6 players, though.)

Maybe Dixit, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amber Wells
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dixit: Odyssey

I just bought Dixit Odyssey and have been playing primarily with my 7 and 10 year olds. They both love it (as do I)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva plays with 4, is a great deal of fun, and used to be out of print but is now back oin print as of last week. It is one of my favourite games. The rules are
dead simple -- read the Taluva FAQ for them -- so there is no problem if you get a french or german version. Plays 30-40 minutes.

For you, there may be one problem. There are 3 sorts of buildings in the game that you have tokens for -- huts, towers, and temples. If your parishoners are such that the idea that you would build a temple in a game would upset them, well, there is no reason that you could not call them churches. Or aqueducts, or sports stadiums, or what have you. There is no 'pray in the temple' mechanism at all -- you just errect buildings one of 3 types, one type happening to be called a temple in the standard game -- you could call it anything you liked.

Taluva is one of my favourite games. It has been out of print for years but now is back in a German and French version. But since the game is language independent, that does not matter. If you need help navigating the french website to make an order, let me know.

best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne
Winner's Circle
Tsuro
Jamaica
Scotland Yard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 King of Tokyo

it's getting hard to find in the usa. I needed to last week and this linle still worked
http://astore.amazon.com/bestdcom09-20/detail/B004U5R5BI?tag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
another + for King of Tokyo.

My 8 year old can easily handle 7 Wonders, so I'm sure 8-11 year olds can as long as an experienced player guides them through a game. The nice thing with it is that there is no player elimination, and the kids can practice their math skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuns On The Run sound's fitting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue, although you're probably looking closer to 45-50 mins, but it definitely fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is awful with 6 and will take way longer than that.

King of Tokyo is a great suggestion. So is Tsuro I'd add:

For Sale
No Thanks!
Slide 5
(Note that these three are shorter than what you are looking for, but I assume playing 2-3 games is ok too).
Apples to Apples
Unnamed Object

I'd avoid 7 wonders. Non gamer adults usually bounce off this one hard because of how many symbols there are. It seems simple to people who are used to internalizing such things, but you're going to spend the first 30-40 minute session doing nothing but teaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piece o' Cake (5p)
Cloud 9
Sequence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
KNelly wrote:

Dixit: Odyssey

I just bought Dixit Odyssey and have been playing primarily with my 7 and 10 year olds. They both love it (as do I)!

I love Dixit, but some of the artwork (particularly in Odyssey) is rather dark in tone, and might not be suitable for a church youth group. Although I don't own it, I believe that Dixit: Journey has much more kid-friendly artwork. It only plays with up to 6 as opposed to Odyssey's 12, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

This review of Dixit 3 (which is Dixit Journey in the US) has a pretty good comparison of the artwork between the different Dixit games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/870171/europhile-reviews...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for all the suggestions guys! I will look further into all of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jello
msg tools
we are a family of 4 with a 7yo and 11yo, Zooloretto is very popular, as is Ticket to Ride. They also enjoy Cargo Noir, Catan Junior, Survive Escape from Atlantis, and Pirate vs Pirate which is a 3 player. I recommend Dixit, we've played with a huge range of ages and they all love Dixit. For the smaller kids you can't go wrong with Operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.