Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, two American economists received the award for their work in "matching theory" which sounds a lot like math trades.

http://goo.gl/mcV1K

Their work primarily applies to markets that do not have prices, or at least have strict constraints on prices. The laureates’ breakthroughs involve figuring out how to properly assign people and things to stable matches when prices are not available to help buyers and sellers pair up.

Mr. Roth, 60, has put these theories to practical use, in his work on a program that matches new doctors to hospitals and more recently for a project matching kidney donors.

I can't wait for the next math trade that allows human organs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard a story about this on NPR on my way to work the other day. It sounds like the theory can serve a lot of important purposes but the first thing I thought of was "Hey, that's how math trades work!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I can't wait for the next math trade that allows human organs!

Are they legal to ship? If so, I've been allowing them. Just no cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That. is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"For example, a man needs a kidney, and his wife is willing to donate one of hers but she is not a match. Across the country there is a couple in the same position, and it turns out that the wives are a match for the husbands in the opposite couple. In this simple case, the two couples essentially barter their kidneys: Wife A gives her kidney to Husband B, and Wife B gives her kidney to Husband A. It is rare that two couples will serendipitously match each other’s kidney donation needs this way, and there are often more pairs of donor-recipients involved. Mr. Roth’s system helps find the most efficient exchange of organs so that the most patients can be saved with the fewest number of pairs involved in a given trade."

Yup, that's a math trade. Now... how do we get an updated algorithm for BGG math trades?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.