Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a fun 2 player game, and thought this could be done that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it 3-player, and for some reason I think a 2 player game would work as well. If one player wants to hog the coins, they wouldn't be able to play as many cards, thus hurting themsleves in the end, perhaps. I know it doesn't say 2 player on it for a reason, but I'm not sure what that reason is. It seems to me that it would be the same game with 2 players as well as 4. Either way, it was fun and quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarot's 2-player variant
Here are my suggestions:

1. Each player starts with 4 action discs.

2. After the supply stack is assembled, remove the top 7 cards from the game. For a more strategic game, reveal these 7 cards and arrange them near the scoring cards, so that the players know which cards (especially, how many cards of each group) have been removed.

3. At the end of the game, first place of a kind scores 6 points, and second place scores 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this with my wife - but she found the loading restrictions too annoying. That she drew a handful of "shy" animals didn't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the real reason is the scoring...
If you put a third color and draw 10 cards and put those on the scoring cards with the corresponding type...
it might work.
I would give each player 5 action disks.
cheers
lexen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a couple of 2P games now, and here's what we've been doing and enjoying...

- 4 Action disks each
- Four points for 1st, two points for 2nd.

In all other respects we play exactly as the rulebook.

The point of having finite action disks in the first place would be, how many more new cabins can you open than other players? We didn't see any need to add extra... four already seems to be barely a limiting factor and I'm thinking of trying with 3 to make this aspect more of a consideration again.

The two ideas suggested for shortening the deck both sound interesting, either
1) Simply remove a bunch of cards before play starts to shorten the deck
2) Remove a bunch of cards and mark them up as a phantom player's score

We do find that playing with the full deck we each have a marker on all animal kinds by half way through the game, so there's clearly been a balance shift from the game with 3P ... and that's probably the extra cards per player. So we might try these ideas too. We just wanted to give ourselves a baseline to compare to, and I have to say that simple baseline works fine.

So we're yet to try different combos of:
- 3 or 4 action disks
- shortening the deck
- giving the shorted cards to a phantom 3rd player

After we get in a couple of dozen games, I'll get back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played four 2-player games.

In all but the first play, we used 3 action disks. I think that actually does put a noticeable limit opening cabins. It feels right. In the last play, we used a version of jgrundy's suggestions.

We did the following:
(a) 3 action disks per player
(b) Shortened the deck by 10 cards and gave them secretly to Dirk. Oh hey, not Dirk. How about one of Noah's sons? A little googling suggests Shem. After all, everything always goes to the eldest son!
(c) Scored Shem's cards one per turn, beginning at the end of the third turn. The idea was to give incrementally increasing knowledge of Shem's score as we went along, rather than complete information at some particular time, and ensure that Shem's cards were all scored a little before the 5th rain card was turned. It seemed to work out about right, but perhaps we could have waited a turn or two to start scoring his cards. We considered scoring Shem's hand in full at the turn of the first rain card, but I think the incremental scoring was the right choice.

We'll definitely play this variant again.

My wife has of course won every game, and at least I didn't lose to Shem this last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.