Subject: THiS NEW PERSON needS your help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
carrie b
United States
w dundee
Illinois
flag msg tools
zombieHi everyone. i'm very new to this group, and i have a couple of questions. but first a little background!

my knowlege of games is limited to the standard american stuff. i started playing board games early on, with Candyland and Shoots and Ladders in the 60's (to name a couple) and haven't stopped playing since. but very common games (at least here in the US) the ones I play now with my kids (ages 9 and 11) are boggle, life, monopoly, yahtzee, etc..... which only reminds me of how out of the loop i am!

there's a couple of games that i want to learn i think the one is Dork Tower and the other one is about an Office or something like that. i'm not really good at strategy games, i was TERRIBLE at Risk gulp, but good at Stratego arrrh. I've never won Monopoly (EVER)yuk but I've done so in Yahtzee, Life, Careers, Cadoo, Sorry, Pop O Matic Trouble, Mystery Date (1966 or so) and the Power Rangers game . Just to name a few. Excelled at Password and Boggle, UNO, and Mousetrap and Clue...

One game I remember playing that I didn't find on the list (i don't wonder why heh heh) is Bop the Beetle. I got it for Christmas back in the sixties and it was all about hitting these balls or disks into a green thing's (frog?) mouth.

Anyway, it's clear that i'm no gamer but i think i'd like to broaden my very narrow horizons and check a few out. what would you suggest for a beginner who is no good at strategy? Go Fish? laugh okay, but besides that?

Another question, i'm looking for games for my two kids. i read a similar post where Bohnanza and Cartegna?? and a "mini" racing car game and a couple other ones were suggested. can you suggest a good place to purchase these games? I found a game at Target that might play KIND OF like the racing car game -it's called Raceway 57 http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_3/601-3923138-...

my daugher (11) has the makings of a real boardgamegeek. she's anxious to learn and loves all kinds of games. and my son (9) - he's gone from hating board games to liking a few. he's not really into strategy but does like word games, and games like Life and uno and yahtzee. we're working on sportsmanship with him.

well, sorry for babbling on but i hope you can help me find a couple games that both will enjoy...and maybe i'll get myself started as well

signing off for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome.

Spend some time here reading lists, reading forum posts, and find some things you think you and your kids would be interested in. there's probably a store near you that sells these games, and if that doesn't work, there are a ton of online stores that will sell you these games.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza and Cartagena are certainly good games to start with. My 9yo son has played both of them. One good way to find games is to click on "View All GeekLists" in the left hand column there. Then search for whatever you think your kids might like - trains, pirates, fairies, and you will find lists of those sorts of games. I have even made a list of lists about games for kids:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

If you read all those lists, you should have some better ideas on what you want :-). Seriously, that's what I did. It took months! But boy oh boy, I've got some good games now!

What you could do is save some of the pictures of games and ask your kids what they like the look of. For on-line shopping, the only US shop I have used is boardsandbits.com and they were very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
My kids are the same ages as yours. I'm always trying to get them away from the computer and TV to play games. My son's favorite game is Halli Galli - because he ALWAYS wins. He has fast reflexes. He also likes "BANG". We bought a badge for the sherrif to wear and he brings his toy revolver to the table. My daughter likes "Fish eat Fish".
I would suggest for your family to try these games:
Settlers from Catan - good fun for all- the whole family enjoys this one and its a great game to introduce yourself to "euro-style" games.
Blokus - if you like abstract games, it's a quick, fun, simple, yet strategic game. No set up time and less than a minute to learn the rules.
Cloud Nine - A big hit with my family. A small cute game fun for all ages. It's one of those "do I get out now with what I have, or risk it all and go higher"
Ticket to Ride - Europe - Nice big board, colourful bits, a few more rules but again, fun for all.
Snorta - a card game, simple, fun, where you make lots of animal noises. Be inventive with your animal sounds and the game is more fun.

You'll find tons of info on tons of games here on the geek. It's been a great help to me. Browse around and read some reviews as well - this should help you decide.

More families should play games together!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been listening to Mark Johnson's podCast and he's got a good intro one you should check out. It's well done and easy to listen to. His kids are about the same age as yours so I think you may find his comments very helpful.

Here's a link to that particular webcast and his comments and links:
http://boardgamestogo.com/2005/05/bgtg-may-28-2005-intro-to-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carrie b
United States
w dundee
Illinois
flag msg tools
wow thanks everybody! thanks for the great suggestions and recommendations, all around! thumbsup i'm looking forward to this endeavor!! thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
yoyomamaroo wrote:
wow thanks everybody! thanks for the great suggestions and recommendations, all around! thumbsup i'm looking forward to this endeavor!! thanks again!

Let us know what you ended up choosing, and how it went with you and your family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
start with:
1.Lost cities
2.China Moon
3.piraten inselarrrh
kind regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cheapest and best online stores are
www.thoughthammer.com
www.timewellspent.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.