Popular Tags: [View All]
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really big on party games. I often have a difficult time quickly recalling names of people and things. I do not have much of a mind for trivia. Memory games? Not so much. These were my impressions of what would make up Time's up. So after some arm twisting (well, really I was steam-rolled by Paul!) I sat down at the table very begrudgingly to play this game. yuk

Round One: my opinion of this game started to decline from my already low preconceptions. I turned over the card with 'Gepetto' on it. "Who the hell is that," I moaned. But I see Paul use a trick to get someone to figure out a name by breaking it down phonetically. "Ok, I can work with this," I think to myself.

Round Two: It finally sinks in that I'm going to be seeing the same cards again this round. We can only use one word this time, but we have last round as a shared experience on which to base some grunts and charades to supplement the crucial word. Sometimes these non-verbal clues are based on conections between tangentially related characters that we made in the previous round (like a charade to represent Elvis Presley for the Elvis Costello card). People are also playing off of their opponents' charades.

Round Three: We have descended to grunts, squeaks, and wild emphatic gestures that only make any sense to the people playing the game. We seem to have developed our own little language system that will only have meaning until the end of the game. Onlookers are wondering how one player staggering like Frankenstein can yield the correct answer of 'Jolly Green Giant.' Jim's charades all look the same to me, but he and Paul are 20 cards ahead of Christy and me. By this time I am laughing my ass off!

My teammate changed from Rick to Christy between rounds one and two, so Christy and I got smoked by Jim and Paul. That is not to diss Christy at all, as she had neither exposure to cards/clues in round one, nor a decent partner. blush Despite losing horribly, I loved the game so much, I must have it!

This weekend, I'll be going to the beach for Thanksgiving with some family/friends (mostly muggles). Over the next couple of days I will be checking around for a copy to bring with me to spread the joy. Only after I try to push Attika, Settlers, Carc, of course...you know the drill.meeple

And in the future when I encounter particularly intractable muggles who won't even give Bohnanza a chance, I will shove Time's Up their way!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.