Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We just played our first game. It was a 3-player game. Couple of questions:

First of all, if in the 3rd round, an artist that paid 10, 20 or 30 back in the 1st round, but paid nothing in the 2nd round, and now pays 10-30 again in the 3rd round: Do you add the amount from the first round on to what it's paying for in the 3rd round, or does that only happen if they had also paid off 10-30 in the 2nd round? (This question also applies for the 4th round with regards to adding from the 1st or 2nd rounds if the 3rd round paid nothing)

Second, I was under the impression that in a 3-player game, when starting the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you add 6 more cards to every players hand no matter how many cards they end up with. But I saw a post where someone thought that they can only TOTAL 10 at the start of each round. Which is true? And if that's true, then do you only add cards to your hand until you reach 10, or do you receive 6 and you can discard any so that you end up with 10...?

Also, what's everybody's take on the German or Mayfair rule for double auctions. We didn't know which we would prefer so we went with the Mayfair rules, but why do some prefer the German rules that the 2nd person keeps all?

Thanks,
Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
facesnorth wrote:

First of all, if in the 3rd round, an artist that paid 10, 20 or 30 back in the 1st round, but paid nothing in the 2nd round, and now pays 10-30 again in the 3rd round: Do you add the amount from the first round on to what it's paying for in the 3rd round, or does that only happen if they had also paid off 10-30 in the 2nd round? (This question also applies for the 4th round with regards to adding from the 1st or 2nd rounds if the 3rd round paid nothing)

You add any other previous rounds that the paintings had value. If an artist paid 30 in the first round, didn't place in the third round, and came in first place again in the third round the paintings for that artist would pay 60 - 30+30.

Quote:

Second, I was under the impression that in a 3-player game, when starting the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you add 6 more cards to every players hand no matter how many cards they end up with. But I saw a post where someone thought that they can only TOTAL 10 at the start of each round. Which is true? And if that's true, then do you only add cards to your hand until you reach 10, or do you receive 6 and you can discard any so that you end up with 10...?

You were correct - you add cards to whatever players have left over. If you finish the first round with 8 cards left you get 6 new ones for a 14 card hand to start the second round.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to the first question. You would always add whatever the painting is worth in previous seasons even though it might have missed out on being the top top earlier.

As for question 2, you would always draw six cards even if you hand size were to exceed ten. The cards are all dealt out in a five player game and if I remember correctly, in a three player game there should be about 3 cards left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But if something scores first place in round 1 and is worth 30, and in round 2 it scores nothing, then you still receive nothing in round 2 for it, correct? you only add the columns if it scores in that particular round. But then if it scored again in round 3, then I would add round 1's score to it as well, am i right?

Thanks,
Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
facesnorth wrote:
But if something scores first place in round 1 and is worth 30, and in round 2 it scores nothing, then you still receive nothing in round 2 for it, correct? you only add the columns if it scores in that particular round. But then if it scored again in round 3, then I would add round 1's score to it as well, am i right?

Thanks,
Ryan

This is all correct. Sounds like you've got it.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.