United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Herd Your Horses

Herd Your Horses is a simple roll and move game for the horse-crazy kid in your life.

I purchased this game at a thrift store for .99.

GAME COMPONENTS:

The board is nicely detailed with lots of different paths that lead to the Green Valley. The game pieces are small pawns with horse stickers on them, nothing too fancy or exciting.

The rulebook includes a section with lots of good information about horses.

The best part of the game is the deck of horse cards. These are the horses that you are trying to herd. The cards are very nice quality with nice illustrations of various horses. They give details on the back about different breeds (I learned stuff). Each horse has a name, which may not seem like a big deal, but the names added a lot for my kids.

GAME PLAY:

This game boasts three different games and some solitaire versions. I think this is stretching things a bit. The games are very similar. The first game has you as the stallion trying to herd the most horses to the Green Valley (cue glorious music). The second game has you as the rancher trying to herd horses to the Green Valley (cue music) to bring them back to your ranch. The third game has you herding specific pairs of horses to (you guessed it!) the Green Valley.

The solitaire versions use only the decks of cards to match up pairs of horses and they play like a typical card solitaire game.

These games are your basic roll and move games. If you land on another player, you get to take one of their horses. Certain spaces give you a horse; other spaces have you drawing an adventure card. The Adventure cards either give you a horse or take one away. The Adventure Cards are nice, though. They talk about typical dangers that wild horses would face. Again, I did learn something reading these cards.

These games are almost entirely luck driven. There are many different paths to the Green Valley, so there is some choice involved in deciding which path to take, but that’s about it in terms of decisions.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

I don’t know how I’d feel about Herd Your Horses if I had paid full price for it. It’s not a great game. However, if you know a horse-crazy or a Western-crazy kid, then this game will certainly be a hit.

To my surprise, my very game-savvy kids enjoyed this game and have requested it several times.

Although my daughter (11) did say, “Mom, if this game was collecting chips instead of horses, it would be totally boring!” Yep, that pretty much sums it up as far as I’m concerned.

PS-another review talks about the rule book being confusing. It is set up rather odd, but this isn’t rocket science. If you use common sense, it’s a cinch. Also, in reference to the other review: College-aged boys are probably not the market this game was going for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    The other review you mentioned must have been pulled.

Nice review. It's nice to see people taking time to review kid's stuff. And I agree -- this game is very good for the right audience. My daughter loved it, and I learned a bit about horses.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this game when I was a kid and I LOVED it.

The horse cards were probably one of my prized possessions. I could open the game and look at the horse cards for hours - sorting them in different ways etc etc.

The game itself is rather meh.

But if your kid loves horses, then I highly highly highly recommend the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.