United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Racer Knights Of Falconus succeeds where Pirates and Rocketmen fail. Its goofy, its fun, and your little customizable engineering marvel has varying stats based on how you deck it out.

Pirates Of The... has the problem that the ships do not move like ships. Rocketmen has fairly cheesy 'customization'. If you make little plasticard pieces, take advantage of the construction. Racer Knights does this.

I bought 3 packs. Less than $10 spent, and we can run 3 cars, each with some options. The system is not perfect. But man, its fast, and fun. Race or duel, speed or armor... It even has a form of resource management.

Gone are point values, replaced by a balancing system of abilities vs. "valor" (your resource). Great parts have lousy valor, or lousy stats but a bunch of valor.

I gave it a 7, I've only played a few games. I suspect the rating will rise as we mess with strategies.

Its way better than it should be. I was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, I know this is almost a review, but I haven't played enough, just thought I'd let you in on a real cheap cute game.

Oh - assemble your cars BY NUMBER ORDER as shown on the instructions - 30-40 pieces per vehicle will take upwards of 30 minutes for your first vehicle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rules worried me a bit. Since the idea is to race...and firing costs action points--that means that shooting other people slows you down.

But does it slow them down enough to compensate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the "How to Play" videos. You're accumulating "Glory Points", some of which can be earned by knocking out your opponents. They also have "duels" vs. "races", too.

All-in-all, it looks pretty cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garlic-13 Aniballi
United States
Carpentersville
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I found the little cars a cruel joke on the assembly front, and felt that they looked more than a little silly. But hey, that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I wait for a constructables version of Car Wars, this will have to do. I just bought three rocks, uh, I mean "packs" and hid them in the glovebox of my car so my wife doesn't find out that I'm feeding my habit when I was supposed to be running errands. Then she borrowed my car so I'm sitting on the couch twitching slightly.

The funny thing is I had emailed the makers of Pirates of the Collectible Cards two days earlier suggesting they make an auto duel game, then discovered Racer Knights. It looks like a combination of car wars, POTSM, and Wreckage by GDW, especially the "glory point" markers, i.e. gas cans. I'm not sure what the fantasy component adds to the game, but I am of a post-apocalyptic bent, so I suppose I will have to adjust to autodueling with catapults and magic spells.

From what little I've read, it's fairly light but more engaging that Pirates. I haven't read much about WizKids Nascar game, but am hoping that someone writes an auto combat variant for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
Looking at the rules worried me a bit. Since the idea is to race...and firing costs action points--that means that shooting other people slows you down.

But does it slow them down enough to compensate?

My son completely ignores waypoints for carnage.

And wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.