Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the members of Game Society Executive bothered to turn up in the first 3 hours or so of the meeting, so we were stuck playing what we had brought (Most games are kept in the cupboard, and only the Exec have the key).

Fortunately, someone had brought Cities and Knights of Catan.
No expansion, so 4 players only. Which ruled out the Exec members when they finally arrived.

I had read that the Aqueduct was the best tech to get, so I placed my first settlement on wood (I placed first). Once it reached my city, there were no suitable forest hexes, so I found 2 Sheep and a Grain. In the first few turns the dice favoured me and I got an activated Knight and up to level 2 of the Sillk charter. One other person had an activated Knight when the Barbarians struck, so 2 Cities went down. The Sillk continued to flow and soon I had the Silk tech- 2:1 Commodity trading. I used this to buy the first levels on the other two techs, which some other people had managed. I built a couple settlements, as did some others. About now the White player declared he was out of the game- he had not been favoured by the dice, and a bystander took over from him. I acquired the Silk Metropolis. The Barbarians struck and I won Defender of Catan. More settlements were built. The Barbarians struck again, reducing all but my Metropolis. By this time I was geting quite a flow of special cards, so much that I discarded several. Blue used two spies on me, and a couple of cards for someone who is behind. I built a city on my original settlement using 'Medecine' (very necessary because I had no acess to ore- I had to trade 4 cards for the 2 ore needed with Medecine), and Blue built a city too, but the Barbarians struck and levelled them both. Red built a city right after the Barbarian invasion, clearly a wise move. The game continued with me building all my settlements and getting acess to a 3:1 port and a Sheep port, as well as occasional use of the merchant. I now had 2 settlements and a city round a single '8' Meadow, so the Robber was frequently a visitor. I drew Consititution for 1 Victory Point and Smith to upgrade both my knights. The Barbarians were fought off twice, with me getting 1 pt and Blue getting 1 pt. I needed one point for the win, and I easily managed it using my various trading advantages.

General Comment: This was a 'rich get richer' situation with a vengeance. The closest person behind me had I think 7 points, and White barely had 3. The game owner said the game was normally richer and closer, so I am willing to try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.