Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going for Thanksgiving. Wondering if there are any FLGS worth checking out while we're there.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Rochester, NY and vicinity. Any game stores I should vi
Sue,

It's been a looong loong time since I was in Rochester, but here's a few places to look at.

Boldo's Armory (Monroe Ave) - http://www.boldo.com/
Millenium Games & Hobbies (W. Henrietta Rd) - http://www.millenniumgames.com/

I think Millenium's is the old Crazy Igor's place. Not sure if Boldo's is a new store or a new name for an old store in the same area back in the 80s. Hope it helps.

Good Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty B
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is a very nice store called Millenium Games on West Henrietta Road in Rochester. I don't actually live there, but I find myself in Rochester 7 or 8 times a year on business, and I always stop in if I can. They have a very nice selection of a variety of games, especially some older games I was surprised to see. They have tables in the back, so I assume that they have gaming nights, but I've never done anything there except buy games. They have website, which I'm sure is much more informative http://www.millenniumgames.com/index.php?Itemid=1

If you make it down to Buffalo, you're welcome to game with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you come down to the Big City, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Cockerilll
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was in Syracuse a few months ago for PLAY and we stopped at an old used bookstore (can't recall the name). One entire wall of the basement was used games. My group had a field day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about stores, but if you have kids check this out while you are there (some board games in the collection):

http://www.strongmuseum.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GamerEsq. Kris Vurraro
United States
Bergen
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Rochester, and without a doubt, THE store for games in Rochester is Millennium Games and Hobbies, as mentioned above. That's basically it. However, if by any chance you're looking for collectible minis games (i.e. Heroclix, Star Wars minis, etc.), or D&D stuff, or CCG's, then Comics, Etc. in Village Gate Square in the city is fantastic. If you pay cash, you get 30% MSRP, except on ccg's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I am hardly a hop, skip & a jump away, I have been to Rochester before. Which of these places would have the best wargame selection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Millenium games would have the best selection of wargames of the two.

It's a very large space and has boardgame meets one saturday a month with quite a bit of wargaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And BTW, check out the new HUGE FAST FERRY that crosses Lake Ontario to shuttle to Toronto while you're here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mb
Also, there's a really great bunch of boardgamers, Rochester Boardgaming Society, that meet at Millenium Games the third Saturday of every month.

They have a website at

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jurassic/RBS/games.html

and a Yahoo group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/RochGamers/

these guys got me excited about boardgaming again!

Steve Williams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Peeck
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This is Bill Peeck "President" of the Rochester Board Game Society. We play on a monthly basis at Millenium 3rd saturday of the month. You should visit it when you are here. Its a 3047 West Henrietta Road in Henrietta NY. It used to be Crazy Igors, but Paul Meyer (Crazy Igor) sold out maybe 5 years ago. Boldo's Army is another place to visit on Monroe Ave in the city. I don't have his address. Crazy Igor's is still in business, but he operates out of a small store front in a suburb of Rochester, Hilton NY, its about 10 miles west of Rochester. It think his address is 2 Main Street.

Millennium has expanded some from what the previous person mentioned in his posts. They have quite a selection of games, Euros, minitures Fantasy. They have tables in the back of the store to hold maybe 50 people, and they have another empty store front in the same building (about 100 feet down from the main store) that has room to hold maybe 200-300. We put our 20-30 in there on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

In addition someone from the Rochester Board game society will be in the store for National Boardgames week, today (sunday) tomorrow evening, Tuesday evening, Wed Evening, and Friday evening and all day Saturday (Me). The store is closed for Thanksgiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks everyone! This is a quick extended-family visit so I'm guessing that all games played during this trip will be with the in-laws. (Hamsterrolle, Guillotine, Diamant, Nobody But Us Chickens, Senjutsu, and Blue Moon are all coming with us; it's be interesting to see how many come back.) But if there's post-T'day shopping on the agenda, I want to put games on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb

I moved to NYC 2 years ago, but before that I spent 4 years in Rochester. For a tiny town upstate, it has FOUR awesome game stores in the vicinity... which is three more than NYC!

Millenium Games (West Henrietta Road, just North of Jefferson Road @ Hwy 15)

Baldo's Armory (891 Monroe Ave, just East of the 490 Ramp)

Adventures & Hobbies (734 Ridge Road, up on the North side)

Crazy Egor's (at the only intersection in Hilton NY)

All four had OOP gems hiding on the shelf when I lived there, doubt much is left. If only I wasn't so strapped for cash then I would have quite a collection! I nearly-bought-but-couldn't-afford Kremlin, Republic of Rome, and We the People all relatively cheap, among others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about game stores, but if your going to be in Rochester for a few days, do yourself a favor and visit Nick Tahou's for a Garbage Plate.
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=218

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, Tahou's is awesome. They had a nice piece on Food Network a while back. We go more often than my arteries like, but man is it good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adventures and hobbies has been out of business for a little while now. for those that like the 30% discount, Comics Etc. can order games at that price too...(its also still 25% if you use a card instead of cash) but to pick it up off the shelf millenium has the best selection. Boldo's has a reasonable selection and everything is always 10% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord, those Garbage Plate pictures are scary! And you wonder why I went to chowhound.com for Rochester restaurant recommendations rather than here, LOL!

But seriously is Nick Tahou's open late?

Sue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
But seriously is Nick Tahou's open late?

Unfortunately the downtown location is not open late any longer. They close somewhere around 8pm I believe. The Gates location on Lyell Ave stays open until 3am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blubeard wrote:
adventures and hobbies has been out of business for a little while now. for those that like the 30% discount, Comics Etc. can order games at that price too...(its also still 25% if you use a card instead of cash) but to pick it up off the shelf millenium has the best selection. Boldo's has a reasonable selection and everything is always 10% off.

Actually, Adventures and Hobbies is still in business, but they are mail-order/internet only now. They have an eBay store if you want to check out their stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Boldo's in THE place in Rochester for games. Great guys. Boldo has a great personal collection if you want to see those old gems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made it to Millennium where I picked up a couple of things I'd been looking for (Emerald for my daughter; King's Breakfast for Morning Math) and copies of Guillotine for the two brothers-in-law who got hooked. Thanks for the recommendations -- We're looking forward to visiting the other places next trip (Xmas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Euro's Millennium stocks more of each game and carries a few more titles, but sells at list or above, whereas Boldo's offers better prices. %10 discount.

Millenniums play area is nicer, but at Boldo's you are more likely to find open gaming (with many play copies availible to inspect and/or try).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a student at UR, and, sadly, carless. Do any of you know if Boldo's can be accessed through public transportation? I know millenium can. I've been trying to convert my friends into BBGs (and slowly am), but not yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boldo's was on a major street on what seemed to be the edge of downtown. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't get there via public transit. Seemed much more accessible than Millenium (though I liked Millenium better). If any of the friends you're trying to convert to geekdom are women, think twice about making Boldo's your first stop.

Crazy Igor's, FWIW to posterity, is way out and had crazy hours (not open til 3pm, according to the sign. Don't know if that was seasonal or his usual routine. I recommend you call first before you make the trek.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.