Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Williams
Australia
Ebor
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been 'suggested' in our group that no player be allowed to build more than one large building. Does anyone have any thoughts about this idea? Has it been aired elsewhere? Should it apply to 5 player games only? Does it penalise a building strategy too harshly? etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like an unnecessary restriction. It certainly hurts the builder strategy, which already struggles to keep up with the shipping strategy. Hell, I've seen games where a player had 3 manned big buildings at game's end and didn't win.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats certainly not in the rules and time has shown PR to be an incredibly well balanced game. IMHO this suggestion badly blunts the building options and plays straight into the shippers hands.

Groups tend to evolve through strategies when for a while, one tactic seems unbeatable and needs its wings clipped. If building is winning through in your game try the shipping, harbour, wharf options especially in the 3+ seats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the buildings you buy provide benefits during the game, making you stronger and stronger as the game progresses and you keep buying. The large buildings are an exception; they are worth nothing till the end. This means you ideally want to buy "working" buildings early and large buildings late. Of course, if you wait till the very last round to buy your large building, you may not be able to man it, so you need to be careful.

If you buy just one large building, you buy it as late as you can, so you don't lose a lot by spending on a non-working building. If you buy two large buildings, however, you need to buy the first one early enough that you can save up another 10 gold pieces for the second one (modified by any applicable discounts.) That earlier large building represents a much more substantial sacrifice; you give up the opportunity for a harbor or a wharf or something else that might pay off by doing some work. If you buy three large buildings, the opportunity cost is even higher.

Despite these considerations, if people think multiple large buildings are the only way to win, they'll start building them earlier to grab them before anyone else can. The earlier they are bought, the more they crimp your style, allowing non-large-building strategies to do better. Eventually you should reach an equilibrium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I cannot stress enough how creating a large building limit is a very very bad idea. Puerto Rico is a strategy game and that home rule would take too much away from the game.

If your current game-group mentality of strategy consist of build build build, than it's no wonder that the player who gets two wins. No one focused on shipping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Australia
Ebor
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone,

Thanks for the responses. Personally, I am pleased that there seems to be unanimous condemnation (by experienced players) of a limit on large buildings. I guess that I need to work harder to convince the other players that there are other paths to victory, which may mean taking the builder's path less often myself... :-(

Kind Regards,

chx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Octavian wrote:
Seems like an unnecessary restriction. It certainly hurts the builder strategy, which already struggles to keep up with the shipping strategy.

Hell, I've seen games where a player had 3 manned big buildings at game's end and didn't win.
LOL. I was pretty much that guy. Went hardcore Builder strategy in a 3P game, and wound up with 3 Large Buildings at the end of the game, 2 of them manned.

Still came in second, by a score of 41 to 40. This is what happens when you only have 8 shipping VPs. Drat it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls