Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do stuff like that ALL the time...comes from being a sales person in a vitamin store...you get used to people giving you weird looks about stuff they don't understand.shake

You just barrel through and know that what you are telling them is for their own good, and they will be better off once you have finished helping them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tejas Mistry
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
I've actually encountered a similar situation twice recently, once on vacation in another city. At both times I recommended a few games and also pointed the fellow buyers to BGG for more information.

In both cases sadly the staff was barely knowledgeable about 'german' games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a very similar situation a few weeks back. Fortunately, I was with someone, so I quickly extolled the virtues of T2RE and Euro games in general to them in a voice loud enough to be heard by the family.

It worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too was in a similar situation a few weeks back in a shopping mall. A married couple was asking a staff member in the games section what would be an appropriate game for an eight year old boy.
The staff suggested Sudoku.
I was speechless hearing that. The shelves were full of T2R, Settlers, Carcassonne, Heroscape, Dungeon & Dragons etc.
and the staff is suggesting a dry sudoku? Are they nuts?
If you want sudoku there is no need of a boardgame! Just go and buy a crossword-magazine (for less money) and it's full of sudokus.
There was no other advice for these parents. Being unsure of it they went away without buying anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason!

Earlier this year I asked more or less the same question and got these replies: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/69521.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get mistaked for a non gamer sometimes (I am guessing because I'm a woman) and have hardcore gamers approach me with unsolicted advice in game stores. Most of the time it's done in an obnoxious way. I think a non gamer would be put off rather than interested, typically, because of how they are approached.

Limit your comments to a single low key remark. "My kid really liked ticket to ride" or "That's a good game" if someone next to you is looking at the box. If they ask further questions, you could give a little more information, but generally trying to convert people in a game store is rude. You don't go to a music store and try to convert people to your taste in music.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally jump in an provide an opinion...too many people think gaming is about Monopoly. Yesterday, in fact, I was at my FLGS yesterday (one of several in the area) and a dad and his son were looking at game. Dad was pushing "Ultimate Stratego" while the kid was focusing on all the other games (German, in particular). I didn't speak up this time (mostly because I have a cold and I'm trying to keep distance between me and others), but after I left, I made a comment to the employee that it must be difficult to hear people who completely block out 99.9% of the gaming experience. He response, "I like the traditional games." I wanted to tell him that if he wanted to ensure his continued employment, it behoves him to enlighten potential customers to all the games they could try. If they don't try something new, they might as well just go to Wal-Mart (which, co-incidentally, is 10 stores down on the same strip mall).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is some people do really like the type of game they are buying. I play both party/word games and euro strategy games in my two different game groups. The party game people, who only want to play light games, have tried light eurogames and they just don't really like them. I can see why in that I find that for a light game, party games are just much more fun than alot of light eurogames. Gamers often don't really like wordplay and/or acting so they don't see the appeal of such games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once said, "Hey, that game [ticket to ride] gets great reviews" and the guy looked at me like I had just taken a dump on his dessert plate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Danger of giving them advice is you don't know their situation - maybe the parents never read rules for games (or read much at all!) chances are the parents know how to play monopoly, maybe not to the actual rules but well enough for the kids to get shown a game that works (sort of). Convince them to buy a new game and it won't actually get played, bits will get played with/lost but the actual game experience will be missed. IMHO that's why monopoly keeps selling, parents know how to play (or think they do) so it's an obvious choice ...

It's different if the store has an open copy and you can explain the game there and then - which is more than possible with T2R IMHO, or you know the family so you can offer to come over and teach them or know they go on-line (in the case of T2R) to see the tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I get mistaked for a non gamer sometimes (I am guessing because I'm a woman) and have hardcore gamers approach me with unsolicted advice in game stores. Most of the time it's done in an obnoxious way.

The same thing has happened to me. These teenage customers were telling me about their after school get togethers and games like Munchkin. You could imagine their surprise when I walked up to my husband and said I think I still want to get Runebound.

There may be something else to this debate too. Monopoly is around $10. Ticket to Ride is $40. Growing up, my parents would never dream of getting a game that: 1- they have not heard of & 2- 10 or so dollars more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar thing happened to me except it wasn't a games shop, it was B&Q and I persuaded an old couple to buy a different lawn mower because I had the same model and liked it. Sounds like the theme to a Days of Wonder game though doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.