Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen: Norbert the Geek ain't know the author of this poem and don't know Old English,
Got stuck on Glenmore Trail from Crowchild to 14th St. due to construction,
Arrived at 10:30 am at residence of Don Smith the Brave,
There also were Jean Jodoin the Terrible, Rob Doupe the Timorous, Trevor Brooks the Titan and Jasen Robillard the Lucky.

Beowulf by Kniza was being explained,
Being late I had to pair up with someone and Trevor drew the shortest weapon.
I asked Trevor if he felt like taking a conservative approach and not take any risks,
But watched everyone accumulate cards scotch free.
As a result we were short on cards.

On the first major event, Jasen made a wise decision and left first,
Where everyone else decided to spend at least 4 cards to stay in,
Then we all realized there were more painful events down the road that would require more cards,
Trevor and I decided to gamble and stay in, lost, got a scratch, and another scratch for finishing last.
We would spend the next few replenishing phases removing 2 scratches, since we lost in another major event,
While everyone was free to take scroll/gold/cards/VPs; in fact we missed our first three risks and whined about our luck.

It felt like we were in a major bind, short on cards, failing risks and wasting time to heal while everyone was progressing.
By the time the sea hag raised her head to sing, it appeared that Jean had never failed a risk, and was holding the card that allows him to fail a risk.
Jasen used the King card to retrieve the 3 wild card symbol card, and it seemed like in the last battles, Jasen never failed a risk and even got two double symbol cards!
It got to be this way, we kept wailing in disgust at Jasen's luck and wanted to give him a good beating.

Scores: Jasen 33 (2 scratches, +5 bonus no wounds, many scrolls were 2 or 3 VPs)
Rob 30 (2 scratches, +5 bonus, no wounds)
Jean 30 (2 scratches, +5 bonus, no wounds, many of his scrolls during the game were low gold values)
Trevor/Norbert 13 (2 wounds, two -2 tokens)
Don 10 (major wound, wound, 2 scratches, lost 5 VPs)

Teach a man to fish, and I ate a tuna sandwhich at Subway.
While driving there, Jean and I talked about the odds of taking a risk.
Assuming all the cards were in the deck, there is a 1/4 chance of failing, 1/2 chance of succeeding and 1/4 chance of gettting two cards.
Plus throw in the the double symbol cards, and it is in a player's favour to take a risk. However, when you are in a major event,
And you can't afford to take a wound/scratch, then that is a different story.

We were all keen on another game of Beowulf,
This time Jean and Don were a team.
I abanonded the conservative approach and made all my risks.
Plus I was dealt a couple of double card symbols which didn't hurt,

First major event, I got the King card which allows you to retrieve a played card.
Next, I won the 3 ship symbol card, played it and retrieved it with the King card.
I also won the 3 bravery symbol card, forgoing two scrolls to everyone's surprise.
I knew I was set for the last major events requiring those symbols.
My early scroll wins were 3 VPs and 2 VPs which was lucky.
Unlike last game in the replenishment phase, where we had to heal 2 scratches, I was able to take 2 VPs in consecutive replinshments.

The only blemish in my game was taking the -2VP token for finishing 4th out of 5 in one event.
I had 5 gold and decided to focus on winning the 5 card gold bid, which I did win.
Jasen would win the 4 axe symbol card bid, his fourth auction win using gold. (Jasen had previously won the heal a wound, and 5 VPs.) I think many of his scrolls resulted in gold.
The 5 extra cards gave me flexibility in the final two major events; almost everyone traded in 5 different cards for 5 VPs.

In the second last major event, Trevor played a 1 symbol card, I played the 3 bravery symbol card,
Jasen looked at me triumphantly, played two bravery symbols and his 4 axe card! That would eventually lead Don/Jean and Rob to leave first (after matching the 6 cards), with Rob remarking that he wasted so many cards and got nothing.
I played 3 cards to keep up with Jasen, his next play was a wild card, and I thought I had him. His next actions were risks to stay in and he actually drew two double symbol cards! Jasen would earn the 7 VPs, while I would take second.
In the last major event, I had 5 cards and 6 symbols to Rob's 5 symbols, giving me the 5 VPs. That early gold bid to win the 5 cards definitely help me win it here.

Scores: Norbert 37 (32 , +5 bonus, 1 scratch, one -2 token)
Trevor 32 (2 wounds, 2 scratches)
Rob 28 (2 wounds, 1 scratch)
Don/Jean 25 (one -2 token , 2 wounds, two scratches)
Jasen 21 (1 wound, 1 scratch).

Last week I had mentioned this game to Don,
He said he contemplated calling me to split the costs for this game,
But after playing, he decided to keep it.
And Beowulf lived happily ever after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
Don 10 (major wound, wound, 2 scratches, lost 5 VPs)

I'm not quite sure how you are presenting this, so I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but three wounds is -15 VP, not -5 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher,

Yes you are correct, thanks for catching that. He did lose 15 VPs, I just recorded it incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.