United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session Report for Deflexion
played on Saturday, November 19, 2005

My father taught me to play Chess when I was ten years old. At that age I really enjoyed Chess and even taught it to one of my friends. While my Dad usually won at Chess occasionally I would beat him at it.

However, as the years went by both of us rarely ever played Chess again. In fact, I often joke around that, if I ever went back in time to meet my ten-year-old self, he would probably beat me quite easily at it. To be honest, I was never really good at any no-luck pure abstract games (like Go and Yinsh).

And so I was a little nervous playing my Dad at Deflexion, considering it has no luck to influence the gameplay.

My Dad especially wanted to play the game because he always held a fascination with mirrors and bouncing light. All I had to do was give him a brief description of the game weeks before I acquired the game and he was already excited to play it.

I finally got the game last Tuesday. However, I didn't get a chance to play it with my Dad until the weekend. When we first got together to play a game, it was the first time playing Deflexion for both of us.

My father played gold so he went first. I played silver.

The first piece that was removed was an accident on my Dad's part; his own laser struck one of his Pyramids. After that, I was able to take out both of his Obelisks (which remind me of bodyguards). Eventually I was able to zap another one of his Pyramids.

Eventually he had taken out three of my Pyramids and one of my Obelisks. I was starting to feel that I was getting sloppy in allowing my Pyramids to be taken since my Dad had more of his Pyramids left on the board than I did.

Originally, I tried to zap his Pharaoh by having my laser beam bounce twice: once off my Pyramid and then off my Djed positioned right in front of his Pharaoh. However, my Dad caught onto this rather quickly and positioned two of his Pyramids in such a way as to block any hope of the beam striking my Djed (the one that would redirect the beam toward his Pharaoh).

I marvelled at how my Dad was able to move a piece in such a way as to put my Pharaoh in danger as well as another key piece of mine. In order to save my piece I would allow my Dad to strike my Pharaoh and win the game; therefore, I had no choice but to sacrifice my piece.

The end of the game came about when my Dad was very close to zapping my Pharaoh. Preventing him from doing so would cost me another Pyramid on the other side of the board (which I didn't want to do), but I didn't really have a choice. However, I noticed that the Pyramid I would lose was one that I would eventually have to move out of the way of the path of my laser beam anyway, so I saved my Pharaoh and took out my (obstuctive) Pyramid at the same time.

And that was when the end of the game was apparent. There was no way my Dad could strike my Pharaoh in one move, but there was a way I could strike his on my next turn. Unfortunately for him, he could not make a move that would protect his Pharaoh in such a way that would prevent me from striking it on my very next turn. Therefore, he moved his Pharaoh one space and I zapped it after moving one Pyramid, thus winning the game for me.

We both agreed that it was a fun game. It was interesting how moving one piece could drastically change the path of both lasers, suddenly changing an offensive plan to a purely defensive one. Swapping the Djed pieces with the Pyramids also greatly altered the path of the lasers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.