Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Flores
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a new geek, just signed up today and I must say I really enjoy reading everyones comments on the games.
I am looking for game suggestions.

A little about myself: My brother and I grew up playing Axis & Allies, and my wife and her sisters grew up playing Risk.
We own revised A&A and the following Risk games: Traditional, 2210, Star wars, & LotR. Our favorite game is Risk 2210 and play about once a week.

I am looking for games that play similar to A&A or Risk. I am very interseted a Pirate themed game, but I am open to all game suggestions.

Currently I don't plan on buying Risk Godstorm or a different themed Axis & Allies because I am looking to expand our game collection beyond those two titles. I played the begginer version of Civilization and thought it was ok, plus my sister-in-law already owns it.

Thanks and looking forward to your most excellent comments.
JFJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well here are a few for ya:

Memoir '44- This is a tactical wargame but the complexity isn't any higher than A&A.

Target: Arnhem- If you have any interest in hex and counter games you might want to check this one out. MMP is giving it away for free on their website. Its a great light wargame.

I don't know anything about pirate-themed games but here's a link to a pretty comprehensive geeklist on the subject.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Memoir '44. For a Pirate themed game, how about Pirate's Cove. Both are fun games and available from DoW.

Bob
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man I totally forgot! You should also look into the Columbia block games. They rule! Some of the simpler ones might be the best place to start: Hammer of the Scots, Napoleon, War of 1812, Quebec 1759, Crusader Rex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I recomend you try Nexus Ops if you want a risk style game, that plays in 60-90 mins and is more fun.
Memour 44 is another one you might like.
Otherwise how about a dungeon crawl like DOOM or Descent?

I second that!

Quote:
Oh man I totally forgot! You should also look into the Columbia block games. They rule! Some of the simpler ones might be the best place to start: Hammer of the Scots, Napoleon, War of 1812, Quebec 1759, Crusader Rex.

and that!

Napoleon is a great three player game to start block wargames. Hammer is one of my favorites. If you want a fantasy feel, try Wizard kings. You can expanded it by getting more armies or get the kit with all the additional armies and maps. For some people, the main problem with wargames is that most are only two players.

Other than Pirate's Cove, which I also recommend, you might want to look into Plunder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:

Other than Pirate's Cove, which I also recommend....

Don't think i've heard many people "recommend" Pirates Cove. Besides it being a pirate themed game. It is that.

laugh

I would recommend Conquest of the Empire, or maybe even Game of Thrones might be up your alley. You might also want to look at Mare Nostrum, or take a plunge and try Tikal or El Grande, it's a step beyond the pale. Yet both seem to click with my A&A friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Don't think i've heard many people "recommend" Pirates Cove. Besides it being a pirate themed game. It is that.

laugh

Hey! Well, maybe I should add reasons why I recommend the game. I had good luck playing this with non-gamers and different groups of people. You are right, it is not much of a strategy but I think its still a game for a good time. I do think that Plunder is a better game especially after they update the game with better rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jaun, welcome to the Geek!!

Glad you are enjoying this site as much as I am. This is the only place I come when looking for recommendations on buying new games. It looks like we have some similar interests here, I have been a long time risk player, and in the last 7 years or so discovered A&A, which surpasses Risk IMHO as it is much more realistic, and completely kills my urge to play Risk as it just seems like "dumbed down" A&A. Anyway I see you have an interest in LOTR as do I and nothing has been mentioned about "War of the Ring". I would think this is one of the more obvious choice for you and I, it is a highly rated WAR game, involves LOTR, and plays out similar to A&A from what I can tell (top of my huge wishlist of 100+). Check reviews and comments on the game for more info.

(checkallday) wrote "Target: Arnhem- If you have any interest in hex and counter games you might want to check this one out. MMP is giving it away for free on their website. Its a great light wargame."

Thank you for this info (checkallday)! I went ahead and ordered the game(even though I hate putting my credit card online how could I resist a free wargame, wish more retailers would get on paypal or stormpay bandwagon). This looks like a Squadleader or ASL introductory which is great! Shipping was very cheap, 6 bucks to Canada. Squad Leader and ASL, ( I bought SL on ebay as a collector of great games hoping to play, then I seen the rules surprise {I thought the A&A rules were extreme which they are}, ASL is the same but they have a starter kit now which is suppose to be easier ) are two of the all-time classic war games that get raved about by any who have taken the time (will be lots) to learn, so even though "Target: Arnhem" is not alot like Risk or A&A, this free game might be something to consider.

Finally, you said you are open to suggestions and looking to expand your inventory, "Duel of Ages" is a game that I HAVE played and gets more table time than any other game I have. This game combines some of the best elements and styles together from a lot of other games. I was looking for a RPG type board game at the time I bought it and got a lot more than that, it combines RPG (light D&D), CCG (aka "magic"), some War elements (Squad Leader) and Board games all of which I enjoy in a nice fun package. The first 2 sets are the only necessary ones to have (there are 7 or so sets in total but the first is sufficient to start and to try), I have gone and bought them all since playing, the wife and I play this regularily. They have their own website/community for questions, forum, strategy, etc which is great.

My final advice would be to try and find people with similar interests and look in their profiles to see which games they really enjoy, if the masses agree then you should be on the right track. You will see lots of mixed reviews, ratings and comments on every game which can make deciding hard, at least for me, so this is my rule of thumb.

Good luck and Happy Gaming! jayjonbeach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juflosolo wrote:

I am looking for games that play similar to A&A or Risk. I am very interseted a Pirate themed game, but I am open to all game suggestions.

I agree that Memoir '44 (2-players only) and Nexus Ops are great recommendations.

Pirate's Cove is a pretty fun, light game. Read the comments and reviews, and see if it sounds what you might like.

Just bear in mind that many people on this web site are "biased" in favor of heavy games. So just because I game has a low rating doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It might just be lighter than the average person here likes.

Other general recommendations:
- Ticket to Ride
- One of the varations on Carcassonne (like Carcasonne: Hunters and Gatherers or Ark of the Covenant)
- Settlers of Catan
- Maybe the new Axis & Allies: Miniatures game? (I haven't played this.) It's not at all like Axis & Allies, from what I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.