Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Whitney
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a combat involving 2 VC units (a 2 and a 1 CV) receive a results of 4 hits can the NLF player take 3 VC replacemants (the max he can take) and then for his 4th loss as the 1 point VC unit, or does the VC player eliminate both VC units as the value of the units in only 3?

Thanks in advance

Roger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding was that both VC were eliminated that no other Replacements needed to be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliminating three replacements and the 1-point VC unit seems like a legal play as the rules are written:

Quote:
Section 5.5 Replacement Points - "All losses sustained in combat may be absorbed in two ways: by removing units or by expending replacement points..."

Section 5.5 Allocating Losses - "A player may not expend replacement points in excess of his forces combat strength."

The first rule was satisfied, as was the restriction imposed by the second.

Some sort-of related questions:

For a unit on a Holding operation, do you use the doubled or undoubled strength to determine maximum replacement use? I've been assuming undoubled strength, since 6.2 states that the undoubled strength is used to "determine losses" and it doesn't make an exception for maximum replacement use (whereas for the ARVN Regional Forces modifier, it does spell out an exception).

If a US unit is defending in a city, town or cultivated terrain and thus receives the ARVN Regional Forces modifier, does that allow SVN replacements to be used? I've been assuming yes, since this rule is included in the section on the ARVN.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you take losses that exceed the amount of ground strength actually allocated to the battle, then unit(s) must be destroyed. And you should always use the un-doubled strength of the units when figuring maximum replacement expenditure.

Back in the days before e-mail (when "self-addressed stamped envelopes" were still necessary - circa 1984), I sent off a series of Vietnam questions to Victory Games, most of which involved the same issue we're talking about here. It can get fairly complicated, since you can have a single combat unit allocate only part of it's ground strength to a given attack; or split its ground combat strength between multiple attacks. In the response I got from Nick Karp, he said that in such cases, the full ground strength of the unit is used to determine maximum replacement use in each of the attacks. So, if a 3-point US batallion allocated 2 ground strength points to one battle and 1 ground strength point to a second battle, the maximum replacement expenditure for BOTH battles would still be 3.

Regards,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.