Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I just took a look through all the army units for the three cultures and i noticed that each one comes with ONE Classical hero, THREE heroic heroes, and ONE Mythic hero.

I thought i might have miscounted, or lost figures, but it was like that for all three cultures.

I guess it's something the designers intended, i just find it odd that the third level of advancement has so many more heroes than the second or fourth.

Didnt know in anyone else had any thoughts on this.

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a guess, but here's my (twisted) logic:

Besides the card advantage, the other advantage of advancing is access to the heroes. If you advance one age, you get access to only one hero. This incents you to advance again, getting access to three more heroes. Now, you might think it wise to stop there, but if you advance one more time, you have access to one more hero AND THE WONDER.

So, if you include the ability to build the Wonder in the last age, then I think it's a logical progression. Of course, it's Friday and I'm tired, so this might all seem like Greek to you (or Egyptian or Norse). shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the question isn't "Why heroes" but rather "Why three Heroic heroes and only one Mythic?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I had mentioned the availability of the Wonder in the Mythic age as one reason there is only one Mythic hero, I don't think I worded it very clearly. From a game design perspective, you want to incent the players to advance ages. For the Mythic age, it's not just about the hero, it's about the Wonder.

So, here is my rationale:
- Advancing to Classical Age gets you one hero. Good advantage against opponent's myth units, but you can only recruit one. So, you're incented to...
- Advance to the Heroic Age. Now you have access to three more heroes that are slightly more powerful that your Classical hero. However, you still can't build the Wonder, and maybe you'd still like better card selection. So, you're incented to...
- Advance to the Mythic Age. The big advantage of this age is the ability to build the Wonder. As a bonus, you get access to your most powerful hero, and one more card in hand every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's the logic behind the # of Heroes each culture get
Egyptians get 3 heroes in the Classical age and not the heroic age.

I would guess that the number of heroes is tied to the classical age for the the Egyptians because this gives them an early advantage which somewhat counters the slightly weaker units they get. The heroic age is obviously named for the excess of heroes most of the cultures get.

Otherwise I cannot argue with your logic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not forget that the Mythic hero is usually the most powerful unit on the field. You want THREE Hercules?

Think of the first hero as the kind of obsolete tank, wandering around the battlefield. The army was just getting into the hang of tank-making - he was never mass-produced, so there weren't too many of him in the first place, and now they just keep him around because they don't have the heart to scrap him.

The second hero is the backbone of the army, mass produced and rushed to the front. He's very good at his job, but also expendable.

The third hero is the future tank, the top-secret weapon that is meant to strike terror into the hearts of the enemy. He's expensive and difficult to build, so you want to make sure you don't get him killed. Sometimes, his mere presence is detterent enough to keep your enemies away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.