Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back home tonite from EuroQuest III with my shrink-wrapped copy of the game (had managed to contain myself at the Con as I didn't want to get it lost or mixed up with someone else's games) and cleared the table to start fiddling around with the bits and the rules. Started going through the setup and then I found this deck of Railroad Operation Cards. Goding through the "setup" rules explanation, I saw a lenghthy explanation at page 5 of each of the Tycoon cards and how each player draws one at the start. Then next page talks about sequence of play, etc. Nothing on the Railroad Operations cards until top page 7 when it tells you what to do with them "before the start of the game." Seems to me this part of the rules should be on page 5 under the section "Starting the Game" and not much further along -- very poor rulebook organization, if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same reaction. Shouldn't everything you need to do to setup the game be in the setup section?

Fortunately it's actually a very simple game. After one play you'll probably never need the rulebook again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of comprehensive setup instructions threw me off, too. I can't even find where to put one's marker on the Income Track, but I surmise it to be "0".

It's a disappointing rulebook for an experienced company, especially one that does most other things so very well. Warping boards I can accept as a manufacturing glitch, but there's no excuse for poorly written rules, particularly when the game is not complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good feedback and we will incorporate it in future games (I don't know if we will redesign this rulebook, but the setup point is an excellent observation). As we expand our playtesters I think this will help not only gameplay, but rule clarity and organization as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more point to consider: drawing a Railroad Operation card at the end of each turn is mentioned under the discussion of the cards, but omitted in both the sequence of play (page 6) and in the detail about the Income and Dividends phase (page 8). In the latter case it would have been logical to put a reminder before the sentence, "Return the round marker to the '1' space and start a new turn."

It would have been handy to have a player aid for the turn sequence printed on the back cover of the rulebook. Sure, it's a simple sequence, but new players would appreciate the reminder. There's room there for a setup checklist as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.