Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all...

Ruth and I were just interviewed for an article about games and gaming that will appear in "Real Simple" magazine.

The writer obtained our names from the Games Club of Maryland website and "cold called" with an email. He primarily wanted to talk with Ruth since there are so few female gamers out there. He also mentioned that he had interviewed Alan Moon for the same article, had purchased Ticket to Ride and was taking it home for Thanksgiving to share with his family.

Real Simple will send us a copy of the Magazine it appears in, so I'll keep you all posted.

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I replied to the guy about BoardGameGeek, but he never called me or emailed. Glad someone got an article in there.

Not sure if Real Simple is the target audience, but at least it's more mainstream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked him during the interview if he had heard of BGG... and he said yes along with a comment along the lines of "I had no idea..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Aldie wrote:
Interesting... I replied to the guy about BoardGameGeek, but he never called me or emailed. Glad someone got an article in there.

Not sure if Real Simple is the target audience, but at least it's more mainstream.

I'm extremely pleased that the more than one million subscribers of Real Simple will be exposed to this article. If only one of them pays any attention and goes out and buys or plays a game, that's one more potential gamer or game customer (and one more potential BGG fan).

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

I like Real Simple magazine. It's starting to bring out the ludite in me more and more. I think board gaming fits into this new tech backlash quite well. I will be looking forward to the article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

I'm not sure there is a target audience Scott, but this particular magazine has an audience that might be just right for simplified and non-electronic family and social gaming. I think T2R is close to the perfect board game for the writer to take home as part of his research.

Hopefully Fubar won't cuss too much or show his cranky side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it tremendously amusing that a Luddite magazine's web page is only accessible if you enable Javascript. It's totally inaccessible to the disabled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Uh... there was that one point in the interview where I paused to shoot a one-barrel nose load into the gutter...

Sorry everyone. I'll try to be more urbane next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Uh... there was that one point in the interview where I paused to shoot a one-barrel nose load into the gutter...

In Australia this is known as the 'bush handkerchief'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure there is a target audience Scott, but this particular magazine has an audience that might be just right for simplified and non-electronic family and social gaming. I think T2R is close to the perfect board game for the writer to take home as part of his research.

I hope the readers agree DW!!!

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what is this magazine about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Innocent Bystander wrote:

I've no idea, but going by its title it doesn't sound like the most complimentary magazine to be featured in

But seriously folks cool there's a tech backlash out there? Is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a copy of this magazine. It's kind of like a Martha Stewart style magazine. It emphasizes low impact, money saving, low stress ideas to solve problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a US magazine about simplifying your life. Generally the stories seem to be geared toward women, though there are many stories for men and women. I read somewhere once that they were surprised so many men picked up the magazine and read it, because initially men weren't the target audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domino Man wrote:
It's a US magazine about simplifying your life.

And they want people to start boardgaming??

Let's see:

Analysis Paralysis.
Acquisition Obsession.
Empty Wallets.
Monthly budgets blown.
Holidays to Essen instead of the beach.
Brain burning euros.

What else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
It's kind of like a Martha Stewart style magazine. It emphasizes low impact, money saving, low stress ideas to solve problems.

I'm curious Alide, how does a magazine that "emphasizes low impact, money saving, low stress" remind you of Marta in anyway?

Anywho, my wife and plenty of friends like the magazine, and it does have good tips now and then . . . I think the article will reach plenty of people willing to give games a try, tech backlash or no.

The fact that fubar is now a spokesperson for the hobby is a little troubling however . . .
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The writer told us that the primary target audience was women, and that's why he contacted Ruth - he wanted a woman's perspective.

We gave him the e-ticket tour... but he had already talked to Alan, visited the geek and knew what games he was going to "feature".

We talked about games in three categories: 2-player, small group (3-5 player) and large group (more). Ruth's recommendations were (you can guess) Lost Cities and Ticket to Ride. Alan should be proud.

Doing this interview has made me realized that we have really become the "gaming couple" and have moved completely out of the mainstream. blush

We game with everybody. Each other, family, friends, acquaintances, strangers... It's what we do! We co-host a game club. We combine gaming with other activities like sailing (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/94716). It's a primary social outlet for us. When you consider the alternative (what comes to mind when you try to make a list of 90 minute indoor activities... yeah. exactly. Watch a movie together). In exactly what way is that an interactive social activity? Playing a game is better.

On the "simplicity" side... we don't own a T.V. and we actually used to host a "simplicity group" in our home... a group of friends that got together once a month to talk about simplifying our lives and learning to focus on what is important.

Anyway... not only are we gamers, be we are the target market of this magazine! It couldn't have been a better fit. We'll see what gets published after the editors get ahold of it...

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The fact that fubar is now a spokesperson for the hobby is a little troubling however . . .

Is that a promotion? When do I reach "grand poo-bah" status?

Be troubled... be very, very troubled... he he he.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
United States
Greenbelt
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it's great that boardgaming is getting more mainstream exposure.
I'm not a huge fan of Real Simple magazine, however. Friends of mine who are really good at cutting back, paring down, etc point out that the magazine talks the simple talk and then follows it with "in order to help you on the way to simplicity, buy these products!"
Buying more is certainly not what simplicity is all about, boardgames notwithstanding.
In any case, congrats foob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Yah, now that you mention it, my wife was telling me she found it worn thin, too commercial, it is a magazine after all.

Foob, sound like you might be a pretty good grand-pooh-bah after all. Remember, to be a trend setter you have to leave the main stream

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
aldie wrote:
I got a copy of this magazine. It's kind of like a Martha Stewart style magazine. It emphasizes low impact, money saving, low stress ideas to solve problems.

Scott, the reporter writing the article described Real Simple as the anti-Martha Stewart magazine. Instead of telling its readers how to prepare a four course meal, it tells them how to prepare something simple.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. We got a few issues, since I'm a Luddite and my wife likes the idea of simplicity and paring down. But we stopped getting it before I really ever read much. It seemed way too glitzy--photo heavy. But, hey, if it's got a boardgame article, I may have to pick up that issue.

Let us know when it's coming out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domino Man wrote:
Quote:
It's a US magazine about simplifying your life. Generally the stories seem to be geared toward women, though there are many stories for men and women. I read somewhere once that they were surprised so many men picked up the magazine and read it, because initially men weren't the target audience.

I don't understand why they would have been surprised. Men like to decorate and entertain and reduce stress too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real Simple is pretty decent. I think it's by the same folks who do Cooking Light, which I really like. I'll look for this issue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If "Real Simple" is the anti-Martha Stewart... then "Simple Times" which is a email-distributed free publication is the "anti-Real Simple". Yes... we are "simple-ites" (I hesitate to use ludite, because we are not anti-technology).

For example, 20 years ago, we made a decision to live on one income. That means: small house, very little eating out and generally living frugally every day. But it also means that one of us manages the home and our weekends and evenings are totally open and stress-free.

However, that DOESN'T mean sacrificing the things that you find really important. For example, we still take international vacations, own a large sail boat and attend theater regularly.

At one point... I figured out that by carrying my lunch to work every day for the last 20 years, I've saved over $50,000. That will buy you a nice little pocket cruiser...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.