Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't quite find it defined in the rules but there is that rather nasty axe that has:

One Surge: Pierce 3

When you are rolling as many dice as you are with that axe 2-3 surge is quite likely. Pierce 9 would get through about anything that I have seen up to this point.

I just wanted to verify that it IS stackable like we are playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the section that covers all of the special abilities specifically states that all "numbered" abilities stack.

Many of the gold items definitely tip the balance in favor of the heroes...

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corvo
Netherlands
-
flag msg tools
mbmb
Descent Rules wrote:
Note that some special abilities have ranks (e.g., Fear 2 or Blast 1).
The effects of these ranks are always explained in the ability description.
If a hero or monster gains a given special ability from more than one source, any ranks the ability has are added together.
For example, if a hero gains Blast 1 and Blast 2 from two different items, the hero gains Blast 3 on appropriate attacks.

I think you refer to this specific text about stacking?
...indeed, I feel your pain. Pierce that stacks = uber-weapon.
So, having read the above quote/text a few times, I noticed this:

Quote:
(...) gains a given special ability from more than one source (...)
Aha... would that be it? And also:
Quote:
(...) if a hero gains Blast 1 and Blast 2 from two different items (...)

So, if a hero has only one source (say: Some two-handed weapon) no-matter what amount of surges you roll, it never stacks because it is only a single source?
I could live with that... I think.

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corvo wrote:

So, if a hero has only one source (say: Some two-handed weapon) no-matter what amount of surges you roll, it never stacks because it is only a single source?
I could live with that... I think.

Could anyone shed some light on this?

There are weapons (don't have the game at hand) that have Pierce 2, and then another Pierce 2 for a surge. That wouldn't make any sense if pierce wouldn't stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corvo
Netherlands
-
flag msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps it's a weapon that has Pierce... and for one or two surges allows to get Pierce 2 (not stacking, but being greater in number).

Maybe... I don't have the game at hand either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the card example in the initial post, it says "one surge." Not "for each surge." Apologies of this brings up old M:tG rules discussions, but the item appears to have a limit on the number of times you can use that abilty per attack roll.

As to items that provide an inherant ability, with the option to add an additional ability with a surge, if they didn't stack, the optional ability would be useless. Common sense suggests that in those cases, stacking the ability, even though it comes from the same source, should be allowed.

Another way to look at it is to see the inherant ability of the item as one source, and the addition from the surge as another source. This would also explain a limit to the use of a surge for the first example, as well.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clear this up...

The special abilities you get for spending surges on weapons and such are designed to stack. So if you have an ability like:

(Surge): +1 Damage and Pierce 1

and you pay 3 surges, you get +3 Damage and Pierce 3.

Some items may explicitly limit your surge spending/stacking, but those are typically the exception to the rule.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin, although not necessarily what I wanted to hear. I was debating a house rule that pierces could stack, but not "pump" if you will.

IE if I have an Axe with Pierce 2 that also has:

Surge: Pierce 3

It would add but you couldn't spend multiple surges on it.

In the case I am discussing it was the giant at the end of the intro quest. I could have knocked them around for a while with the size of his armor, however the fighter ran in with his axe, rolled about 8 dice, had more than enough surges to completely nullify his armor and enough damage to flatten him like a pancake. It was so... anti-climactic.

.. In retrospect I have decided to just study the scenario and if the boss at the end doesn't really have enought armor to warrant a pumpable pierce I will just remove those 2-3 items from the deck. If he does - I will keep them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1 ended for me in the same way: rogue opens the final door, opens the chest, and a big pierce weaponis acquired by someone and given to the fighter. The fighter runs through the room, jumping the pit, using stamina (and several potions), and dows the giant in 2 hits.

But it was well planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.