publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

BREAKOUT AND PURSUIT

Scales: division; 10 km/hex; three days/turn

Components

1 x flat tray storage box
1 x cover sheet
1 x 22x34” hex map of northern France and western Germany
1x 8-page rules folder (folded like a pamphlet, not the older road-map style)
1 x Turn Record and Reinforcement Sheet
1 x set of Order of Battle and Set-up charts for use with scenarios
1 set of 255 single-sided, die-cut counters
1 x teeny die

Counter Manifest
There is a total of 255 counters. There are two grey blanks.

German units (black on grey) (93 units)

Infantry divisions: 1-4 x 2, 2-3 x 2, 2-4 x 14, 3-4 x 4, 3-5 x 3, 4-5 x 2, 5-5 x 6, 6-5 x 9
Paratroop divisions: 4-12 x 2, 6-12 x 1, 9-12 x1
Armor divisions: 5-6 x 1, 8-6 x 1, 12-6 x 2, 13-6 x 3, 16-6 x 1
SS armor divisions (white on black): 9-6 x 1, 10-6 x 1, 11-6 x 2, 15-6 x 2
Armor brigades: 4-5 x 2
SS armor brigades: 4-5 x 1
Armor battlegroups: 2-6 x 9
SS armor battlegroups: 2-6 x 7
Mechanized divisions: 7-6 x 1, 8-6 x 1
SS mechanized divisions: 4-5 x 1, 5-6 x 1
Mechanized battlegroups: 2-6 x 2
SS mechanized battlegroups: 2-6 x 1
Delaying detachments: 6

US units (white on green) (36 units)

Infantry divisions: 9-5 x 1, 11-5 x 3, 12-5 x 8, 13-5 x 2
Infantry battlegroups: 2-5 x 5
Paratroop divisions: 9-6 x 2
Paratroop brigades: 4-6 x1 (identified as Polish for some reason, I thought the Polish brigade was associated with the British airborne establishment)
Paratroop battlegroups: 2-6 x 2
Armor divisions: 11-8 x 1, 12-8 x2, 13-8 x 3, 16-8 x 1, 17-8 x 1
Armor battlegroups: 3-8 x 4

UK and Canadian units (black on green) (36 units)
Motorized infantry divisions: 8-16 x 1, 9-16 x 2, 10-16 x 4, 11-16 x 1, 12-16 x2
Infantry battlegroups: 2-16 x 5
Paratroop divisions: 7-6 x 1, 10-6 x 3
Paratroop battlegroups: 3-8 x 3
Armor divisions: 10-8 x 1, 12-8 x 1, 14-8 x 1, 16-8 x 1
Armor battlegroups: 3-8 x 3
Armor brigades: 5-6 x 1, 6-6 x 3, 7-8 x 3

Other Allied units (black on green) (43)

5 x (1)-15 trucks
1 x real and 5 x fake Drop Zone markers
16 x supply units
16 x pipeline markers

Game Markers (44)

21 x Isolated markers
21 x Unsupplied markers
1 x Phase Record marker
1 x Game Turn marker

What the publisher says (ad copy in Strategy & Tactics #35):
“Utilizing the game system developed for Kursk and France ’40, Break out and Pursuit incorporates new game mechanics to reflect features particular to the Battle for France in 1944. These new rules account for the Allied air supremacy as well as their potential for airdropping paratroopers. Game play reflects the Allied logistical difficulties overcome in the actual campaign by the construction of vast supply pipelines. To reflect German expertise in delaying actions, the game employs both battle group units formed from otherwise eliminated units and special German delaying units that exercise “zones of delay” to impede Allied advances. Starting with Cobra, the Breakout scenarios run nine Game-Turns and explore the Allies’ opportunity to breach the Germans’ Normandy defences. The seven turn Pursuit Scenarios cover the motorized-armor chase from the Seine to the Rhine. In sixteen game turns, the entire campaign from July to September is presented.”

Of course, there is also the anecdote appearing in Strategy & Tactics #36 about how prisoners would write in to SPI talking about how playing wargames was a good way to pass the time in jail and requesting copies of games, since they were “temporarily without means.” Apparently one group had written asking specifically for copies of Breakout and Pursuit, but did not specify why they wanted that particular game!

Breakout and Pursuit was one of the “Kursk” series of games that SPI produced in the early 1970s. The games in this series featured a more or less common rules set that featured movement with semi-locking Zones of Control, voluntary combat, and a post-combat mechanized movement phase. Games in the series included Destruction of Army Group Center (S&T #30), France ’40, Kursk, Drive on Stalingrad, and Moscow Campaign. Each game featured large amounts of “chrome” rules that did not seriously get in the way of play and a wide variety of alternative orders of battle, deployment plans, and “what-if” schemes to allow for variations on play. Breakout and Pursuit went the furthest in stressing the logistical challenges of mobile warfare; supply rules for most of the rest of the games were of the “trace a line of any length to the right map edge” variety.

Moves #10 contained errata for the game, found on grognard.com at http://www.grognard.com/errata/bandp.txt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
ltmurnau wrote:
Breakout and Pursuit was one of the “Kursk” series of games that SPI produced in the early 1970s. ... Games in the series included Destruction of Army Group Center (S&T #30), France ’40, Kursk, Drive on Stalingrad, and Moscow Campaign.

Just a minor correction: Drive on Stalingrad (first edition) was part of the Panzergruppe Guderian series; Turning Point: The Battle of Stalingrad was the Stalingrad game in the Kursk: Operation Zitadelle, 4 July 1943 series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colonel Williamson

Princeton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle
mbmbmbmbmb
In going over my copy I noticed there were a couple of errors and omissions in this otherwise fine counter manifest.

Under German Units:

One 8-6 unit should be added to SS Armored divisions.

The unit count is right, only the unit was omitted.

Under UK and Canadian units:

Paratroop Divisions:

There should be two 10-6 AND one 10-6 air landing. (three 10-6 is correct only identifying the "air landing")

Paratroop battle groups:

There are NO 3-8 units. Instead it should be two 2-6 and one 2-6 air landing. Total three Paratroop battle groups.

Identifying the "air landing" units is important as they are handled differently in the rules.

Total number seems correct.

Under Other Allied Units:

The Naval Supply Marker was not listed. Total Marker count for this category should be 44.

Overall number of 255 counter is correct. I cannot however verify the two blank counters as my copy is punched and sorted and the blanks are not present.

If someone has an unpunched copy perhaps they can chime in on the blank counters.

Best regards,

Mcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Brian -

Your comments about incarcerated prisoners asking for handouts of wargames....

That sounds suspiciously like

"Wally Williams Jr., from Gainesville, FL"

...he used to write - it seems - all of the time to Don Lowry. I remember his name in the Letters to the Editor column a LOT when I first got some Campaign magazines.

Oh, to have free games and all of that time to play them..... 8^P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be, could be... if it was Wally Williams, I wonder when he got out.
Don't want to know what put him there in the first place.

I don't think you are allowed to play games in prison; I remember a year or two ago some prison forbidding its prisoners from playing D&D or other RPGs because it "promoted thoughts of escape", or something like that...oh yeah, her it is:

http://www.blastr.com/2011/01/judge_bans_dd_in_prison_rules_...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.