Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have recently started playing Blue Moon (the base version). She kind of likes the game, but she hates the pictures on the Vulca cards: you know, breasts, g-strings and the like. She can't help feeling the cards for were drawn for teenage boys.

So I need to get one of the expansions - and fast - to replace the Vulca. Any suggestions on which of the expansions IN TERMS OF THEIR PICTURES could be more suitable for my wife?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try visiting:

http://www.blue-moon-games.com/us/spiel/spielidee.html

You can see all of the cards in all of the decks there and let your wife pick out the deck she likes best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy r
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
give the Khind or Terrah a good look. Khind are mostly sinister children while the Terrah have a very aboriginal / Native American look to them (probably some revealing outfits, but it fits with their primitive feel). Stay far away from the Mimix, as they are all about the skimpy clothing (and Aqua to a lesser extent). I can't comment on the Pillar, since I absolutely detest the psuedo Latin pun names they have and have only taken them out once to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Reynolds
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are talking about the Mimax deck. Most of the other decks are not quite as revealing. Although ask your wife to read this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/81857

It may just change her mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Blue Moon is steeped in classical fantasy art - depictions of men and women are typically flagrantly idealized. If this makes you or your prospective Blue Moon partner unhappy you might want to look at trading it away rather than buying more of it. It is a recurring theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made my own set of cards... without art.

I can send you files if you are interested. Let me know....

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
e.c.r. wrote:
I think you are talking about the Mimax deck. Most of the other decks are not quite as revealing. Although ask your wife to read this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/81857

It may just change her mind.

Why would that thread change her mind? I don't think most of us look to BGG for our morality. Strong feminine figures means skimpy clothing?

As I have stated before, the teenage art is what keeps me from the game. And this is certainly not Michaelangelo art (nor do I look to Michaelangelo to determine what is propper or not).

Kosmos and Fantasy Flight made their decision when they went with this art. Their choice, but we get our choice on whether we choose to buy or not.

Fortunately there are many other good games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Blue Moon is steeped in classical fantasy art - depictions of men and women are typically flagrantly idealized.

I like that. It's funny.

But just so that I understand you, when you say that women are "typically flagarantly idealized", is that code for their "tits and arses hanging out"?

I'm still looking for such typically flagarantly idealised men, and I haven't found them. That is, I haven't found any pictures with testicles bulging out of thongs.

apotheos wrote:
If this makes you or your prospective Blue Moon partner unhappy you might want to look at trading it away rather than buying more of it. It is a recurring theme.

I suppose trading it away would be an option if I only played with my wife. Even then, I'm not sure that trading it away would be the right option. Given one of the helpful suggestions above, I've started looking at the cards sets. Actually, I've just looked at the Flit. I think my wife would like those. Just as well that I looked at the other cards first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Good lord. You mean art that has suggested Nudity???!!!
What would Michaelangelo have thought!

I think you may have misread or misunderstood my inital post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go crazy here and suggest that there's some aesthetic variance between Michelango and SF titty girls. Maybe it's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hayden wrote:
apotheos wrote:
Blue Moon is steeped in classical fantasy art - depictions of men and women are typically flagrantly idealized.

I like that. It's funny.

But just so that I understand you, when you say that women are "typically flagarantly idealized", is that code for their "tits and arses hanging out"?

It can be.

Quote:

I'm still looking for such typically flagarantly idealised men, and I haven't found them. That is, I haven't found any pictures with testicles bulging out of thongs.

That would be an apropriate retort if the girls had their vulvas hanging out for all to see - which they don't.

You know what I mean about the men, see:
http://www.blue-moon-games.com/us/spiel/terrahset/terrah02.h...

Fantasy art features exagerated specimins of physical perfection to draw the imagination in. It certainly is a male-centric genre, so there is a definite skew in the genders, but even my feminist-leaning parts can't find true offense in it.

Quote:

I suppose trading it away would be an option if I only played with my wife. Even then, I'm not sure that trading it away would be the right option. Given one of the helpful suggestions above, I've started looking at the cards sets. Actually, I've just looked at the Flit. I think my wife would like those. Just as well that I looked at the other cards first.

That sounds like a good balance to me. I know my wife would want to explore all the races - and of course with her she'd be offended by none of them. If your wife doesn't want to get "in" to Blue Moon your solution is perfectly suitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor,

Again, I think you may have misread or misunderstood my posts. I'll try to break them down for you. There's two threads to my posts.

1. TYPICALLY FLAGARANTLY IDEALISED MEN

I said:

Quote:
I like that. It's funny.

(Underline added)

Now, I'm not sure if you read the underlined bit, but you replied:

Quote:
Try the game blue moon. It's full of such men.

Really? Okay, thanks. Next.

2. DRAWN FOR TEENAGE BOYS

I said:

Quote:
My wife and I have recently started playing Blue Moon (the base version). She kind of likes the game, but she hates the pictures on the Vulca cards: you know, breasts, g-strings and the like. She can't help feeling the cards for were drawn for teenage boys.

You commented:

Quote:
Meanwhile someone please explain to me why renaissance art, which was full of T&A, is classy, whereas this is 'teenage'?
Just sounds like your beeing a wee bit prudeish to me.

Now, just for the moment, I don't have a view on whether renaissance art is "classy", and I'm not sure about my wife's view.

And I don't have a view on whether some of the Vulca artwork is "teenage", but my wife does: she thinks that some of it's puerile. I can understand her view, without necessarily agreeing with it. What I can't understand is how her view could be labelled "prudish".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Benson
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Quote:

When did an idealised man become one with bulging testicles? I dislike this whole controversy. Women and men are not idealised in the same way. A physically ideal woman (at least evolutionarily speaking) would have large hips, good skin, large breasts, be fit, etc. Those things are subconsciously attractive because they show she has good genes and is able to produce children (as callous as that may sound). Men on the other hand are ideal when they have large muscles and look like they are good providers. Here is a surprise: people find different things attractive about women than they do men, so an exaggerated "idealised" woman would not have the same enhanced features as those of a man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll swap it for a copy of Wench if you like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Palfreyman wrote:
I'll swap it for a copy of Wench if you like?

I'd have to decline, but I'd take ... [wait for it] ... [it's good] ... [you won't have seen this one coming] ... Busen Memo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, fellas, arguing with this guy is not going to change his WIFE'S mind in any way..... The woman is entitled to have her preferences, for whatever reasons. He's trying to find a solution that lets him keep gaming with his wife in a fashion they will both enjoy. Kudos to him for that!! Many of us with non-gamer spouses make all KINDS of adjustments and compromises to meet our partner's preferences so we can keep gaming and sharing our hobby with the ones we love, and really, that's what this is about, not morality, feminism, art appreciation or any other issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be slightly off topic, but...

Whenever I get a game and my wife starts protesting about the artwork, the rules, the gameplay -whatever- I tell her to "shut her pie hole." She opens her mouth again, I say, "Who's your grognard? Say it! Say it! Who's your grognard?"

And then she trounces me in the game.

cry

Repeatedly.

I start begging for mercy, and she says, "Shut yer face!" If I even so much as whimper, she chants, "Eurogames! Eurogames! Eurogames!" It's like Kryptonite...

So, when she started complaining that her Blue Moon expansions weren't as revealing as mine (I bought the Mimmix cause they're sexay), I told her to get her own deck. She grabbed mine and said, "I just did." Now I don't have any revealing women to stare at...except my wife, and she refuses to wear her thong swimsuit while we play. She says it might warp the boys...

One day I made my own cards, too, just to show her who's the boss. I cut out pictures of women from Playboy magazine, most of them young enough to be my daughter, pasted them onto my homemade cards and said, "NOW who's your grognard?" as I brought them into play the first time.

"Eurogames, " she giggled, as she revealed her own homemade deck which featured nothing but male genitials...not even their manly, young bodies either, just their stuff sitting there staring me in the face.

cry

And she still won.

Okay, so none of that really happened. Well, except for the part where I did get the Mimmix deck when we bought the expansions. My wife likes the way the deck looks; she especially liked the Leadership card which represented a pregnant woman's silhouette, as my wife was many, many months pregnant with our second (as of yet warped) son. I think she dug how it showed how a woman carrying a child can still be empowered, or some such hippy crap.... (I jest!)

So, I'm sorry to hear that your wife got bugged out by a little revealing artwork. There are a few decks which don't show a semi-clad woman in one form or another. Blue Moon is a fun game, and I would hate to think of anyone not giving it a chance because of the artwork...unlike a game like Lost Cities, which has great artwork but very little redeeming gameplay value...oooh, lookie here, I got more points than you did! I won!

But that's an entirely different rant...

...and this one, crazy as it was, is brought to you on zero cups of coffee at 6:30 AM.

Lucky you.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Flit are all bird people with no obviously distinguishable sexual characterisitics and should be your safest option. The Khind are all children so should not cause any offense. You can also swap out the offensive cards from other decks if you have more decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Uh, fellas, arguing with this guy is not going to change his WIFE'S mind in any way..... The woman is entitled to have her preferences, for whatever reasons. He's trying to find a solution that lets him keep gaming with his wife in a fashion they will both enjoy. Kudos to him for that!! Many of us with non-gamer spouses make all KINDS of adjustments and compromises to meet our partner's preferences so we can keep gaming and sharing our hobby with the ones we love, and really, that's what this is about, not morality, feminism, art appreciation or any other issue.

What she said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, now. . . I don't think its fair to ask him to convince his wife differently about the art. Many on the board feel the same way.

I think the only decks you should NOT get is Mimix, Vulca, and Aqua. Unfortunately, you may have to take out cards that are include with other decks, like (as I am sure you realize) the base deck includes a Mimix card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Just do what I did. Use a Sharpie to draw in bulging testicles on all of the male characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Just do what I did. Use a Sharpie ...

ROTFLMTO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Benson
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Sonja wrote:
That's funny. I'm a woman, and I find all the seminaked powerful Mimix women inspiring and empowering. Maybe it's a lesbian/feminist thing.

I think it's really just our culture being oversensitive to sexuality. The mimix are a race of females that are as strong as any man, and the art for them showcases the female form, yes, but there is no sexuality inherent in it. There are multiple pregnant women on the cards as well. It's obvious that the artist was going for femininity but not necessarily anything lewd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but there is no sexuality inherent in it. There are multiple pregnant women

Hmm, and I always thought those were related....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sonja wrote:
Maybe it's a lesbian/feminist thing.

Seeing those two different concepts juxtaposed together so frequently both explicitly and in assumption both on and off this board makes me want to describe a Ford Mustang as a kind of 'young male/chrome-afficionado' thing.

And a golf-course as a sort of 'upper-class/groundhog' thing.

And a cut-down drying tree as a kind of sort of 'termite/arsonist' thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.