Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
This might seem a bit odd.

I've had some trouble really getting BSW. I'd sure *like* to, but I've had no luck navigating their interface or finding opponents. Thing is I'm pretty self concious about the whole affair as I don't want to wreck other peoples games.

Any BGG'ers up for a bit of a tutorial session this evening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Eddie, I can't help you tonight as I am at work, but if you wanted to meet up tomorrow I'd be happy to help. Otherwise just ask for a tutor and you'll be helped almost immediately.

Belash (same name on BSW)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what's your nick on BSW and people can look for you. Mostly I would just ask for help and people are usually willing. go to English town for a good starting place. Type /room C10 in the chat box and that should take you there
lorna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a "Tutor" option which will put you in touch with any BSW players online who have said they will help new players. When I first signed on, I used this option and a very help user named OhioSue led me through the interface.

If you catch me online (same user ID), I'd be glad to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the drawseat option and specifically to PowerGrid. How does drawseat work and does it make a difference in PowerGrid?

PS - OhioSue is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
lorna wrote:
what's your nick on BSW and people can look for you. Mostly I would just ask for help and people are usually willing. go to English town for a good starting place. Type /room C10 in the chat box and that should take you there
lorna

I'm apotheos on BSW as well.

See, this /room C10 stuff. that makes no sense to me. I thought maybe I'd be seeing some sort of town interface with all this town-talk, but no.

What inevitably happens is I end up joining some long-over game, and the only way to leave it is to shut down BSW. I'm typically incredibly technically apt, but even with tutorial websites I'm a friggin BSW-moron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In almost any situation, back-slash commands will get you where you want to go. ./room C10 will teleport you to C10 (English Town). . ./room C10-258 will take you to my house in English Town. The more specific you are about the room, the more specific your destination. Under the Game Partner menu, people post their search for players and each and every one of them has a specific room. Tricky, though, because people can't cancel their search. Thus, you may arrive in the designated room and the game will be under way. Re-type /room C10 and you won't have to shut down to get out. Or just hang out and watch as you continue your search for a game to play.
The backslash commands are written into the small chat screen at the bottom of the basic BSW graphic (wherever you happen to be). These commands do NOT work in the chat screens that pop up; personal (from an individual player) or general (i.e., English Town chat screen). The most useful of these are /room (Room #) - teleports you to designated room; /tell (player) (message) - sends a message to an individual player; /hook (player) - teleports you to the site where that player is located.
If you get to C10 (/room C10), and holler "Help!" (in whatever words you choose to use), somebody will usually come running, subject, of course, to their availability at the time you holler.
www.brettspielwelt.info is highly recommended. The info offered on this site is a major step in understanding the basics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.