Subject: My new 2 player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vic Weaver
Greece
Lefkas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play a lot of Louis XIV - mostly 2 player. I have been looking at trying to make it little bit more competitive by varying the rules regarding the fictional player (who I will call Dirk (we play alhambra a lot).

(Below when I refer to rounds, I mean rounds in the game i.e 4 rounds played to make a complete game - and the turn numbers refer to the influence phase only)

During the influence phase play as follows
Turn 1
Start the phase with Dirk placing 2 people on the card with Louis (as now)
Player 1 takes their turn
Player 2 takes their turn

Turn 2
Player 1 then draws an influence card from the stack (and places 3 of Dirks pieces ( 2 if wild card is drawn ) - starting with that card but a maximum of 1 piece on 1 card - i.e three separate tiles must be covered starting with the revealed influence card tile (If its a wild card start where you like)

Then as before players 1 and 2 take their turn.

Turn 3
As before but player 2 picks up and plays the Dirk pieces.

Turn 4
As before but reverting to player 1 playing the Dirk pieces.

When scoring the influence cards ...

If Dirk wins on card number 6 - then draw another influence card and place a Dirk tile in that number - (which could affect this round or the next)

If Dirk wins card number 8 then place 2 Dirk tiles on tile 5 as per the card instructions.

If Dirk wins card number 11 - (extra influence card) then move Dirks plays 1 turn further on in the turn order for the next round - i.e play the first two tiles on Louis at the end of turn 1. (This could mean that Dirk plays last for that round)

If Dirk wins card number 12 - (extra intrigue card ) draw a card and - during the following round - before scoring - after all players have played their cards - reveal the intrigue card - and place one Dirk marker on the appropriate influence card.

Other influence card scores are not affected.

Doing this makes completing the missions a little more difficult for each player and adds more competitiveness to the game, Hopefully making it play more like a 3 player game.

It seems to work for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
We call the 3rd player, "Stupid F'ing Jerk-face."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Weaver
Greece
Lefkas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verive wrote:
We call the 3rd player, "Stupid F'ing Jerk-face."

Would have been too much for me to type. cool

I'll stick with Dirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Loomis
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! I had been considering something similar. The dummy player places 8 - 11 markers per round, and this seems like it would simulate a third player pretty well. A few questions ...

Does it work well having one player place the dummy influence markers twice in the round and the other player only do it once? Seems like this might be a big advantage. I know it balances over the course of the game.

Actually it may not really balance over the course of the game, because it seems like it would be a bigger advantage to be directing the dummy player in round 2 (vs round 1) when many of the cards are likely to be a 1. instead of money cards.

Also, why the rule that the dummy can only leave one influence marker on a card per turn. Is this so that it limits how much you can hurt the opponent on key cards? That seems to make sense, just wondering your reasons.

Thanks for posting and please update if you tweak the variant!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Weaver
Greece
Lefkas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for giving player 1 the extra go on two occasions,is that in my perception player 2 has the advantage by going last in round 4 and this helps to balance it somewhat.

We found that allowing 3 pieces to be put on the same tile made it easy for a player to "opt out" on occasions by just placing all 3 pieces on rarely used tiles. by forcing the play on 3 different tiles it gives the player a little food for thought as he may have to cause some problem to himself in order to hurt the opponent.

We also think forcing this rule simulates the play of a third player more accurately.

It certainly has become a more enjoyable experience for us so far playing this way for two, of course everyone is welcome to vary it as think fit as I'm sure we may do in the future.

(Edit) Actually I've just realised I have the player numbers the wrong way round. It is my intention in rounds 2,3,4 to give the "3rd players pieces" to the player who is playing 1st in that round, to negate the last player advantage somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.